Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fifa-lad-2k10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
Hello this is my first post

I have just recently got a iPad it came in the original iPad box and was sealed but someone told me it was a refurb I do not no if they was just joking or not. But it has just been playing on my mind and I wondered if there is anyway of knowing for sure?

Thanks in advance

michaelsviews

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2007
New England

I have just recently got a iPad it came in the original iPad box and was sealed but someone told me it was a refurb I do not no if they was just joking or not. But it has just been playing on my mind and I wondered if there is anyway of knowing for sure?

Thanks in advance

Where did you buy this? Call apple or your local apple store and give them the serial number that will determine if its a refurbed

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
i can run the serial number for you if you would like (through Apple's internal technician system). I have found that for iPhones, it will say refurbished if it is refurbished.

Just pm if you want.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East

Thanks in advance
First, does it really matter to you?

The quickest way to check is to match the S/N and the IMEI from back of the retail box to the physical iPad. Also check that the ICCI ID for the Micro-SIM matches the one displayed on the back of the retail box.

Just double check the box sticker to make sure that there is not an extra sticker for the S/N. This would indicate that the original S/N was replaced under warranty by Apple.

Dave

fifa-lad-2k10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
Yes it came in the original box with the iPad showing
I bought it from krcs.
And Im not sure what imei or the icci I'd means?
And I only got the wifi only model so does that still come with the micro sim?
Thanks

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
If your iPad is an apple refurb, your serial number will start with RM

I have a older MacBook that has the same but not entirely sure if they do this for iOS devices. You can always call Apple and have the serial number checked to see if it's a refurb

They won't charge you for this as I buy and refurbish many old macs to start a documentation history and see if a machine has gone back to them for repairs. My last check was for a PowerBook G4 which the rep gladly told me it's repair history (found out it had a logic board replaced).

monaarts

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2010
Kennesaw, GA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

You can look at the model number actually. If it starts with an F it is a refurb but if it starts with an M it isn't. Example: "MB292LL/A" is new but "FB292LL/A" is a refurb.

MrWillie

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2010
Starlite Starbrite Trailer Court
First, does it really matter to you?

Dave

Yes, I bought a brand new HP all in one networked printer/scanner/fax. Within a week, it went belly up. They sent a refurb for a replacement. I found out Sam's club and such sell the refurbs for $150 less. So if I would of needed to sell it, I lost a $150 right off the bat because of this. But it's a moot point, cause that one died in less than a week. That was my first and last HP purchase. Oh, the tech support is in India, and blows chunks.

Crap, now I'll probably get banned for admitting to buying an HP product.:(

fifa-lad-2k10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
Thanks for all of the replies
The model number starts with mb on my iPad but it is slightly different on the box does that matter?

simply stunning

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2010
i can run the serial number for you if you would like (through Apple's internal technician system). I have found that for iPhones, it will say refurbished if it is refurbished.

Just pm if you want.

This guy offered to help you out. Not sure if you saw his post though...

Last edited by a moderator:

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Last edited:

fifa-lad-2k10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2010
I bought my iPad from krcs and it had a sticker on the plastic it says my model number is mb292 but on the actual box it says the model number is mb292b/a and on my actual iPad it says mb292b does anyone know why they are different? and is everyones like that?
Thanks

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

fifa-lad-2k10 said:
I bought my iPad from krcs and it had a sticker on the plastic it says my model number is mb292 but on the actual box it says the model number is mb292b/a and on my actual iPad it says mb292b does anyone know why they are different? and is everyones like that?
Thanks

The slash "/" at the end designates what box version. Apple will typically change the /a to /b when they update the box but the product itself hasn't changed. A new product would then just mean a whole new product number.

bwrairen

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Yes, I bought a brand new HP all in one networked printer/scanner/fax. Within a week, it went belly up. They sent a refurb for a replacement.

Just to let you know....if your iPad dies, Apple will be giving you a refurb as well.

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Thanks
The MB292B/A indicates that it is a UK market iPad WiFi 16 GB, a similar US based model would be MB292LL/A on the Apple site or the box.

Exhibit A: http://store.apple.com/uk/configure/MB292B/A

Yes, for example mine shows as a MC349LL/A on the box and on the About screen it shows as only MC349LL.

Dave

dave006

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2008
Just West of East
Does anybody know if this is true that the model number starts with a m if it's new ?
The model number has nothing to do with it being new or a warranty replacment unit. With the iPads even the serial numbers don't always indicate as was the case with the iPhone. It is just not consistent as I indicated in my earlier post, my serial number on my original and the warranty replacement both started with GB0.....

Again, does the Serial Number on the box match the Serial number on the iPad? If they match, it is a very, very good indication that it was / is new when you opened the shrinkwrap.

Did you check the warranty status on the Apple site to see if the warranty expires about 1 year after your purchase date using the link I posted above?

Dave

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.