is my iPod broken??

Discussion in 'iPod' started by stevo86, Sep 6, 2006.

1. stevo86 macrumors member

Ok, so i lent my iPod to a friend a few days ago. I didn't think much of it, he's a good friend. He wanted to borrow it a few days before he left town so he could decide if he wanted to get one or not. I just picked it back up from his house (his parents house) and it seems like it might be broken D:

It's a 4g color 20gb... what would happen to this model in the case of the battery being COMPLETELY dead... when i plug it in to charge no charging icon comes on the screen... nothing does.

when i first tried to turn it back on all i got was the apple logo and the hdd was trying to spin up, then it would die and the logo would come up again.

2. robPOD macrumors 6502

Ask your friend if he broke it. Try reseting it

3. stevo86 thread starter macrumors member

I tried resetting it but after doing so the apple logo no longer comes up... nothing... it's completely blank.

EDIT: i tried resetting it a few more times... it's doing the repeating apple logo thing again. could it just be that the battery is completely drained?

Edit 2: repeating apple logo won't stop, i have no idea what to do with it :(.

4. stevo86 thread starter macrumors member

could this have happened because i plugged it into my new mac pro?? i used to use it with my old dell laptop, this is my first mac and the ipod was formatted for windows.

5. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Nah... the Mac should be able to handle the Windows formating. I'd try the hard reset via the power adaptor.

6. stevo86 thread starter macrumors member

how would i do a hard reset?

7. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

the same thing happens to mine (4G B&W) and it's dead. looks like yours is dead to. what you could try doing, this worked for me for a while before mine broke for good, and only do this if you dont have Applecare anymore because this will void your warranty. and if it's anything like the B&W version this should be relatively easy. Well what i did was, thinking that all was lost, i looked up how to open it on the internet, and opened itup, just to see what it was like. so i unplugged the HDD (it just has a bunch of pins and a ribbon cable. and plugged it back in and re-assembled my iPod, and to my amazement it WORKED FINE:eek:! i know it doesnt make any sense, but what have you got to lose?

8. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Connect the iPod to the power adaptor...

Make sure the hold switch is not set to hold.

Push the "Menu" and "Center Button" at the same time.

It should reboot via a hard reset.

-----------
    Ah yes... if that doesn't work.... do this what Xander562 said above ^

I had a friend with a 4G Photo that had the same problem when his ribbon cable was loose.

9. stevo86 thread starter macrumors member

nothing :(.... still just flashing the apple back at me.

10. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

After my suggestion as well?

11. stevo86 thread starter macrumors member

my apple warrenty is over, but i think my credit card adds another 1 year warrenty after the manufacturer's so i'm not gonna take it apat yet. looks like i'm gonna have to give VISA a call, the thing's definitely dead :(.