Is my iPod dead?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by imLOST, Oct 16, 2007.

1. macrumors newbie

Sep 18, 2007
    I got a Macbook and a free iPod nano there about two weeks ago and my iPod is acting kinda funny.

When I was watching a video, it just stopped for no apparent reason and then about twenty seconds later the apple logo came up and it kinda just reset itself. This has happened about 3 or 4 times at this stage.

There have been occasions when it just won't even turn on. I have to bring it home and plug it in the comuter and let it "charge". However, I don't think that this is a case of a dead battery because I've never used it that much that the battery would go imo. Well, unless the batter only lasts about 2 or 3 hours.....

Right now, it's plugged in here beside me but it's not charging or turning on or anything. This is really strange. Any help?

PS: I stupidly got it engraved with a ":)" but surely that won't affect my refund if I do have to get one. It's not my fault it's dodgey...
  2. macrumors 6502

Oct 14, 2007
    Indianapolis, IN
    um, you may have already tried this, but try reseting it with the center button and menu button held at the same time for 6 seconds,..........

if that doesn't help (which i don't think it will, but worth a try) then restore your ipod on itunes, if that still doesn't work call apple, they'll help
  3. macrumors 6502

Sep 19, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    yeah mines acted weird where it wouldnt charge. just flip the hold buttons a couple times, lastly to the off position. then hold the menu and center buttons for 5-10 seconds, if nothing happens after 5-10 seconds let off the buttons and then hold them down again for that long, sometimes you have to do the button pressing sequence a couple times before it will restart.....that SHOULD do guarantees. get it to charge anyway, i don't know about the whole resetting itself.:apple:
  4. macrumors regular

Jun 16, 2007
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Yeah resetting it probably won't fix your problem, definitely try restoring your iPod with iTunes first and see if that fixes it.