Is my iPod Fried?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by lindmar, Nov 11, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

Oct 31, 2003
    So the problems started yesterday, itunes told me I had to restore my ipod... The problems actually started a few days ago, every song just randomly skipping to the next tune 30 seconds, 40 seconds, half way through songs.

I can hear some clicking going on, but I've heard this for years, its a 4th gen ipod.

So I restored, but still problems. So I tried zero'ing out the drive in Disc Utility, get an input/output error.

The drive comes up in disk utility, but I can't do anything. Can't partition, can't erase.. keeping getting i/o errors.

Is my ipod toast?!

Just got the thing to intialize in itunes again? So I dont know. I will try copying some songs and see..
  2. macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Darkplace Hospital
    A clicking HDD isn't sign of a total death, it could be the sound of a slow one. I bought a laptop in 2003, within 6 months the HDD was clicking and couldn't perform a defrag again. It's still working now despite there being an obvious flaw with the drive.

Maybe time to fix or just buy a new iPod.

Have you tried running the iPod Diagnostics mode? I don't know about the 4G but theres an option on my 3G and IIRC my 5G that checks for HDD faults.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jan 15, 2007
    My ipod did the same thing

back in May I had a similar issue, even got the sad iPod icon, but then miraculously it came back to life. Fast forward 5 months and it died again, right after a sync of a bunch of pictures, and now whenever I plug it into a mac, I get a ton of "data underrun" errors on the console..... I pretty much have declared it DoA(though it still starts up fine, I wonder if I could replace the hd)

Hope yours gets better and stays that way.