Is my iPod going to be outdated? TODAY?????

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Macgamer1096, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Macgamer1096 macrumors newbie

Apr 23, 2003
    I freakin love my iPod but i had to pay 400 just for it s features. Im not whining i mean that what happens in buisness but i just got it like 5 months ago so what can i do to make it better? Can my iPod make playlist on the fly thats just a software thing isnt it? iPod to iPod transfers cant it be possible? if a calculator can do it whats stopping my freakin iPod?
  2. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Dec 1, 2002
    Well you wont be able to create playlists on the fly or change the menu or play solitare.... but u do get a backlight option in the main menu. I have a 20Gig and have already put version1.3 of the software on it, and nothing much has changed apart from aac compatability. and the backlight thing of course.
  3. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    dude the old ones are soooo much nicer than the new ones... be happy with your 20 GB. Did you notice that they quietly cut the battery life to 8 hours on the new line?
  4. melchior macrumors 65816

Nov 17, 2002
    yeah, like your 20gb iPod really plays 10 hours :rolleyes:

have you looked more closely at the design of the new iPod? it's more round and sexy, looks like a flux capacitor! i think you take issue with the buttons because you just want to maintain your status quo. and be happy that way, if you like.
  5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    It's true, my 5 gig ipod doesn't play for 10 hours. It plays for 11.5 hours. and it's over a year old. I don't know about his 20 gigger, but I have heard of many people getting 10 hours or more.

Yes I have looked more closely at the new ipod, and I still don't like it.

"i think you take issue with the buttons because you just want to maintain your status quo."
    I can't honestly dislike this product? It has to be some psychological issue with not liking change? Ok...

I loved the new imac the first time I saw it, even though I also loved the look of the old imac.

Some people will cheer for apple no matter what they do, however poor a decision. I think *you* just don't want to admit that apple's mighty design team is capable of messing one up.
  6. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

Feb 8, 2003
    I figured I would run into one of these, Oh my god my iPod is now outdated, and it's all Apple's fault threads some time today.
    The iBooks we have at the office got outdated last week, and you know what? I dont care.

Just be happy that you have an outdated iPod, because many people dont dont have one at all.
  7. The Shadow macrumors regular

Mar 25, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    I have a 6 month old 10 GB iPod and I love it. It isn't capable of doing any less just because a new more streamlined iPod came out.

I agree, you just have to be happy with what you've got.

I don't feel compelled to go out and spend more big bucks just for a thinner iPod which has pathetic games I would never play, so that just leaves play lists on the fly. Yeh, so what. I mean, REALLY!

Which brings me to a point of speculation. You couldn't actually play those pathetic games very easily on the superseded iPods. So, did Apple introduce the buttons just so people could play games?

Yes, it would be pathetic reason, but at least it's a reason. I am yet to read any other explanations.
  8. swahilibill macrumors 6502

Feb 24, 2002
    Highlands Ranch
    for all of you haters of the new iPod, its got way better features now that no one has addressed. It now has a supportive, normal style headphone jack. This will not break, unlike the original ones. Mine just broke, so i got a replacement, left it in the package and now it is on ebay... I cant wait for the new ones, and dont bitch about the buttons, okay... It may be better than we think, so dont act like such a bunch of know it alls... plus it just looks cooler, and the dock addition is kick ass, i have always wanted something like that.
  9. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
  10. Echinda macrumors regular

Apr 24, 2003
    Would have been nice if they threw the old iPods a bone and gave them on the fly playlists. I was quite disappointed last night when I loaded 1.3 and all I got was a more convenient backlight (sure I got AAC compatiblity, but that doesn't noticeably change anything).

As for the new iPod - I like the idea of all the buttons being touch sensitive because the mechanical buttons on my 10 gig can easily get triggered if I forget to lock it. Presumably the new buttons, being non-mechanical, would be that much harder to accidentally activate.

But I'm not crazy about the new layout - the four buttons are too reminiscent of the ubiquitous Palm four button layout.
  11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    1) my ipod is over a year old, no headphone jack problems. What did you do, hit the jack with a hammer??
    2) new button arrangement looks like **** IMO. How is it being "a know it all" to say what I think of the new look?
    3) Again, IMO, it doesn't look cooler, it looks dumb. Don't state your opinion like it is fact.
    4) Why on earth would you want a dock? What could the possible point be? Is it really so hard to lay the ipod on the desk next to the computer? It has to be standing up??

The most significant change is a negative one- the loss of battery life. Hooray. :rolleyes:
  12. Echinda macrumors regular

Apr 24, 2003
    It's not that bad. I imagine the dock would be useful because you can then see the display while you're working on something else. I often prop up my pod against something so I can see the display, but if I have the firewire cord in it over-balances the top and the thing flops over. Not a huge issue but a dock would be nice. Especially with line-out for my stereo. That would be sweet.

And on the fly playlists would be awesome.

Of course, you can't argue with bigger drives - I'm at 80% capacity on my 10 gig and at my current rate of new additions I'll have to start making some decisions about what goes on the pod in about three months.

So while I'm not in love with the design - in all the new pods are a good thing.
  13. jouster macrumors 65816

Jan 21, 2002
    LOL, I can't help but laugh at you young whippersnappers debating the merits of a device that can store 7500 songs and is about the size of one of the casettes I still use in my Sony Walkman! How on Earth could such a device be out of date???

I'm serious - I built up a large collection of tapes when they were the next big thing, and I'll be darned if I'm going to buy them all again in a zillion new formats.

But sheesh, seeing the new music store, I think it might just be time to step up to the plate and get an iPod.

Now, what am I going to do with all my vinyl?

:D :D :D
  14. daedelgt macrumors member

Jul 17, 2002
    It was mentioned yesterday during the web cast that the older iPods would get a Firmware upgrade. I guess this means they will be compatible with AAC.
  15. Stella macrumors 604

Apr 21, 2003
    Update 1.3

Yep, you can download it on software update.

however, the only thing worth having is the AAC support.

I very much doubt whether Apple will give us version 2 software. I really doubt they would have bothered with a version 1.3 and then a few days afterwards give us version 2.

They've decided to screw us all, when they could very easily make version 2.0 available to old iPods.

Like international users, apple moto is to f??k us over.
  16. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    "LOL, I can't help but laugh at you young whippersnappers debating the merits of a device that can store 7500 songs and is about the size of one of the casettes I still use in my Sony Walkman! How on Earth could such a device be out of date???"

When you put it that way... this does seem like a silly argument. Ok, ok, any ipod is a good ipod. Happy? :)
  17. Wren macrumors regular

Dec 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I was in line at Midnight on 11 of November 2001, so I could get my hands on the iPod. when it was launched. Apple has been so good with their product support that I';m still using and loving it. I will be at the Grove Apple store on Friday ( May 2 ) and join the party with their live DJ. I will have to really convince myself that I need the newer iPods. I will cherish the novelty that comes with owning a 5 GB iPod. It's a classic!!:)
  18. jphall macrumors member

Jul 18, 2002
    I don't know 'bout you, but Apple just gave my old iPod quite a boost- it used to be the best mp3 player on the planet, now it's the best mp4 player on the planet.

All I had to do was own an old iPod, connect to the internet, and run this little 1.3 updater thing! No extra charge! Thanks, Apple.

And now it sounds better and it's got a 40% larger 20 gig hard drive! The 192 kbps mp4s sound better than my old 320 kbps mp3!

My only complaint is that I've spent the last 24 hours re-ripping (er, re-acquiring) 85 CDs!

On the other hand, I finally got around to ripping one of my Zappa CDs, laughing and jamming as I did. God, I miss that guy- what would he say about Dubya?

Got a little off topic, sorry.

I look forward to a new 30 gig iPod, but I'm not done with this one yet.

Best. Joel.
  19. senseibiz macrumors regular

Feb 8, 2002
    Las Vegas
    I purchased the 5 gig ipod when it first came out, and since its been great. no
    problems at all. but I really like the new ipod, so does my wife. I was waiting for this day to purchase the new ones. I will be getting two 30 gig. one for me , one for my wife.