Is my iPod video properly updated?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by KevKaos, Sep 28, 2006.

1. KevKaos macrumors 6502

OK folks. I'll admit that I asked this question in another thread, but I got one reply which didn't seem to be the information I was looking for. My question was slightly out of scope for that thread, so rather than threadjack, I figured I should bring it to a new thread in case any other noobs like me have this issue.

I just got my refurb gen 5 iPod video 60GB last night. So far all seems to be going well. Updated iTunes to 7.0.1 and that seems ok as well. BTW, I'm using a PC with XP. Anyway, I am trying to see if my iPod has updated properly. I didn't look at the version number before I started, by the version is 1.1.2 now. The one response I got seemed to be from a user who has a 30GB video who said his is at version 1.2 His answer described how to find out what my current version is, but I already know that. What I don't know if what version my iPod SHOULD be. When I check for updates through iTunes, with my iPod connected, the system searches and then comes back saying my iTunes is now at 7.0.1 and it says nothing about the iPod itself. Can anyone tell me if that sounds correct? Thanks in advance if you are able to help.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Your (and all 5G iPods) should be running software version 1.2

Buggered if I know how to do it though, I don't have a 5G iPod.

3. DubbaJ macrumors newbie

As far as I know, the updates for the iTunes application, and updates to the iPod are not neccessarily released at the same time. I think that may be some of your confusion.

I don't have a iPod video myself, so I can't say what version it should be at, but in iTunes 7, when your iPod is connected, select it in the left panel, and you should see the iPod info screen on the right.

There should be two buttons there - one for update and one for restore. The update button should be greyed out unless an update for the iPod is available, and it should also tell you if the iPod itself (unrelated from the iTunes software version) is up to date.

Hope that helps!

4. KevKaos thread starter macrumors 6502

AHHHH, OK. Now this is starting to make some sense. What you are saying must be what the other user was trying to tell me and I wasn't getting. I know that iTunes 7 is able to see my iPod, because it loaded all my music and some of my podcasts onto it. I do not recall seeing my iPod show up in that left panel, but I will try it again tonight because it must be there somewhere or somehow. The previous user had mentioned something about "press on the left side on iPod" so I took that to mean to press on the left side on the control wheel which somehow got me to a place where I could see what my version is. Sometimes things are hard to explain and/or understand when written. Especially for a noob like me. Thanks.

5. DubbaJ macrumors newbie

No problem! The only way to find out if you're stuck is to ask!

6. KevKaos thread starter macrumors 6502

*** UPDATE ***

Hey hey!! I'm just a bit proud of myself. I did some digging on the Apple site and found the answer to my question and I thought I should share it with others who may have the same question. Here is what I found, and yes, it seems my iPod is now up to date.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    iPod Updater 2006-06-28 for Windows

About this update

Note: This software is superceded by iTunes. For the latest iPod software, use iTunes 7.0 or later, available at http://www.apple.com/ipod/start

For installation troubleshooting information, see http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93976

About iPod Updater 2006-06-28
    iPod Updater 2006-06-28 includes:

-iPod Software 1.1.2 for iPod
    -iPod Software 1.2 for iPod nano
    -iPod Software 1.1.4 for iPod shuffle

For information regarding specific fixes for the above software, see the included ReadMe.

iPod Updater 2006-06-28 contains the same software versions as iPod Updater 2006-03-23 for all other iPod models.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. DubbaJ macrumors newbie

I think the iPod Updater is integrated into iTunes now (as of version 7).

8. KevKaos thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I should have mentioned that as well, but since I had not seen it myself, I didn't think I was in the position to comment on it. To be clear, the answer that I found and is displayed in my post is that my iPod being at version 1.1.2 is correct. Very confusing to a noob, but I'm getting there.

9. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Nope, you're not correct. That stuff you posted from Apple is for iPod Updater 2006-06-28, notice the line that says

You should have iPod Software version 1.2 on your iPod, not 1.1.2. Open iTunes with your iPod plugged in - you should see it in the source list on the left hand side of the iTunes program. Go to iTunes in the menu bar, then click on "Check for Updates" - it should then prompt you to update your iPod to version 1.2

If that doesn't work, click on the iPod in the source list and view the summary page, you should have a button marked "update" which will update your iPod software. If you are Automatically syncing your library and your iPod you can click "Restore" which will erase everything from your iPod, do a fresh install and then load everything back on - it will take some time but you'll be using the right version of the software.

But yeah, 1.1.2 is old, 1.2 is current. You need to update.

10. KevKaos thread starter macrumors 6502

Drat, foiled again. See, I am still a hopeless noob. Thanks for setting me straight again. I know what I will be doing as soon as I get home this evening.

I notice that someone in another thread said that iTunes 7.0.1.8 for windows has been released today. Anyone know what changes there are? I'm thinking maybe just some optimizing? The joke will be on all if us if the latest update adds the iPod update function described above. :D :D :D

Thanks again.

11. KevKaos thread starter macrumors 6502

*** ANOTHER UPDATE / BIG PROBLEM? ***

OK, I found the update portion we all talked about and tried it. Didn't work. Got the following error message;

The iPod "KevKaos's iPod" could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (1417)

Tried a bunch of times and always got the same message.

Tried the 5 R's. Nothing.

Decided to restore since I had not loaded to much yet. Got the following error;

The iPod "KevKaos's iPod" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (1418)

So it looks like I can't go forward or drop back. Any thoughts before I send this puppy back? Also, I guess with this being a refurb, I can't take it to the Apple store right? This sorta blows chunks since I just got the thing last night. :( :confused: :eek: :mad:

12. DubbaJ macrumors newbie

Hey man, I googled that first error code (1417) and came across this page. Looks like someone else had the same problem as you - give this a try if you want ( I haven't tried it , can't speak to how safe it is), but if you just got the iPod yesterday, I'd consider popping in at the Apple store to see if they could do anything for ya.

13. KevKaos thread starter macrumors 6502

I have now uninstalled iTunes 7 completely and reloaded all my iPod software from scratch. I am now using iTunes 6 and keep saying no everytime I restart it and it asks if I want to upgrade. Of course there is no way for me to upgrade my firmware without trying that trick refered to in the last post. I am a bit unsure about trying that one because I think my iPod has been going to the error message before it ever does that change from "Do not disconnect" to the Main Menu. I guess I am doomed to stay here until Apple sorts out iTune 7. Versiontracker is showing that a release of iTunes 7.0.1.8 came out today 28th of Sept 2006, but it did not seem to be updating when i had 7 running, and I see no mention of it on Apples web site. Right now I am not a happy camper. :( :confused: :eek: :mad:

14. KevKaos thread starter macrumors 6502

Upgraded iTunes to version 7 again and then tried to upgrade the iPod again. No luck. The error message is a bit different now though. The message is; The iPod "KevKaos's iPod" could not be updated because the firmware file could not be found.

15. luckylisp macrumors 6502

Did you try putting it in disk mode and then running the updater? To put it in disk mode you reset by holding down *select and menu* and when the apple screen shows up you hold down *select and play/pause*. Do this with the iPod disconnected. As soon as you're in disk mode connect it to your computer and format using the iPod updater.

16. KevKaos thread starter macrumors 6502

Your way wasn't working for me :( but I just got off the phone to Applecare and gave me another ideaof how to do sorta the same thing to address the missing firmware file issue (hopefully it will solve all my problems).

They said to plug the iPod in to the system and start up iTunes.

Then once the iPod shows up, select "Manually Manage" to go into "disk mode".

Delete EVERYTHING manually. All songs, all podcasts, movies, etc must be deleted.

When finished deleting, choose the "Restore" function.

They did suggest that I may want to call them back when I do this. Not sure if that's because they think they need to walk me through it, or if there is more to do after the restore other than trying to update and reloading.

Hope these notes I am keeping helps someone.

17. luckylisp macrumors 6502

Sorry you're having so much trouble. Were you able to sort it yet via what apple said? Hope so.

18. KevKaos thread starter macrumors 6502

Not yet, I will be trying it when I get home this evening. I think I may head home early just to work on it. I have to delete everything from the iPod manually as part of the suggested fix. Glad I didn't have it fully loaded up. Thanks for the kind wishes. I will report back in this thread whatever happens so maybe it will help someone else.

19. barnacle macrumors regular

barnacle

chundles,,

thanks for that tip!! my 30gb video is now updated as well!
    i also assumed that when it said i was up to date, i was.
    thank you.

20. KevKaos thread starter macrumors 6502

** UPDATE **

The steps they gave me didn't exactly work, but some time on the phone with Applecare was successful in getting rid of the issue of the missing firmware file.

As for the inability to update the iPod, the Applecare tech tried to help me with that and it did not work so he had to pass me up the line. So far Applecare has been EXTREMELY attentive on this issue. I don't want to say what steps they are having me do yet, because we haven't seen if it will work or not. The have asked me to send them a folder off of my iPod so that they can examine it. Seems to me that they are really working hard on fixing this issue. Hope to have another update in an hour or two.

21. KevKaos thread starter macrumors 6502

** LATEST UPDATE - IT WORKED ***

Have to run out for the day so I can't leave alot of details, but thanks to a coupe great Applecare techs, my iPod is now version 1.2 I can had hopes that it would be fixed early enough yesterday so that I could post the results but I didn't finish until well past midnight. I will post some details this evening.

22. KevKaos thread starter macrumors 6502

*** DISCLAIMER ***

I did all of this with the direction of Applecare, and while it worked for me, it is not intended to be a certain fix for everyone and I cannot promise you that something will not get screwed up but it seems very straight forward.

DIRECTIONS:

I had to set my iPod to "Manually manage music and videos".

If you are on a PC, you may have to set your folder options so that you can see hidden files.

We then deleted the music folder and the iTunes folder. (I had already deleted all the movies, tv shows, podcasts and the like). The files in the music folder have strange names, but if you test them, they are just the music files that you had on your iPod.

Go back and turn off "Manually manage music and videos".

Eject your iPod.

Reconnect your iPod to the computer and restart iTunes. When iTunes comes up it should see what it thinks is a new iPod (I think mine said something about a corrupt disk that needed to be restored).

Restore your iPod using the iTunes restore function. My first attempt at a restore ran for over an hour and it appeared to be hung so I had to restart iTunes and retry the restore. the second attempt restored my 60GB in about 10 mins or less.

Try the update function after the restore. In my case, my iPod successfully updated to version 1.2 and seems to be working fine.

Hope this helps someone. If you don't want to try it. Applecare assures me that they are working on iTunes as fast and as hard as they can.

Good luck.