Is My Mac pro Normal ??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Los Olivos, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Los Olivos macrumors newbie

Sep 19, 2006
    Hi , I Have a 2 day old mac pro that I am not sure is operating as it should. Configuration is:
    2 x266
    2gig ram

I have been reading how everyone says their machine is so silent... well I can hear mine plenty, and its on the floor next to me. Not on the table at ear level. I thought it was just the hard drive but I had it replaced.. and the new one makes the same kind and types of noise... I can hear it accessing the hard drive ANYTIME I choose a different window or just scrolling on the web page.. In my last machine ( a g4 dual 533)... I never heard the hard drive seeking... , I know the fan was louder but still ... Whats up... Are there any adjustmnets I can make, should I try to retun it ?, or am I expecting too much. ?? thanks
  2. patseguin macrumors 65816

Aug 28, 2003
    My MacPro started making a bit more noise when I added RAM to it. I am guessing the fans adjusted to cool the added memory. I do notice that the hard drive accesses an awful lot too. I am not really sure how much it is affecting performance, if at all, but I do notice it. I'd run a test on your RAM and make sure there are no errors.
  3. thebeephaha macrumors 6502

Sep 4, 2006
    Seattle WA
  4. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

Sep 5, 2006
    Keep your eye on - it is full of hypersensitive people who get insanely distressed by whines, high pitched noises, fans, general computer sounds...