Is my Macbook Pro running too hot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by THX2008, Feb 17, 2007.

1. THX2008 macrumors newbie

My MBP is a refurbished model (Core Duo 1.83 Ghz).

A while ago, I read an article about the misapplication of thermal paste on several hardware components of the MBP. I was a bit worried so I used iState nano to check the temperatures on my model.

The stats below reflect running fairly minimal processes including Azureus and Safari.

I might just be paranoid though. It's never been hot to the touch and I have always been able to set the machine on my lap. It's actually nice during winter.

I have noticed that when running XP (I've done the bootcamp partition), it does run a little warmer but not too bad. The only graphically intense program I run is Half-Life 2.

Attached Files:

2. Cybergypsy macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

3. butaro macrumors regular

my mbc2d is 60C running a couple safari browsers on regular web pages, itunes playing, msn, omni outliner. Pretty normal to me

4. 00hkelly macrumors 6502

yeh im normally in the 40's when doing nothing much at all (word processing/note taking.etc) 50's when surfing net and itunes .etc.60's touching 70 sometimes when pushing it in aperture .etc.

ur temps look pretty good to me, a small amount of variation from machine to machine is to be expected though.

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The best way to measure temperature, if this sort of thing really concerns you (the case sensor is waaaaay off on my systems) is to use a non-contact infrared thermometer. You can pick one up cheap on ebay. I've recorded case temps in excess of 60C in summer in areas where your finger can touch. I did send off my MBP for repair following that - but current evidence suggests that the issue hasn't been resolved - so it'll be interesting to see what kind of temps I get this summer.