Is my old PC worth my time to maintain

Discussion in 'Community' started by Brettla, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Brettla macrumors regular

I have an old PC that I built about 5 years ago, and recently I have been having the usual Windows problems with Spyware, Adware, and Virus. I have had to spend about an hour a week just to keep it running all i use it for is Folding, and my brother sometimes use it for AIM and the internet, i was just wondering if people think it is worth my time to keep it running, or if i should just let it die, or if there are any things i could do with this computer (but i don't want to install Linux or Unix), I will list the specs below just to help your opinion. It was origanally built as a very high end gaming computer. I am somewhat attached to this computer but i just don't use this computer much and would most likely just take it off the network instead of letting it die.

450 mhz Pentium 3
    128 mb ram
    17 gb harddrive
    32 mb Gforce 2 video card
    Sound Blaster Live Platinum
    10/100 network card
    4x cd burner
    4 point surround speaker system
    19 inch flat screen KDS CRT monitor.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

use the monitor and speakers with your Powerbook, you could put the hard drive into an external enclosure for backups or something... trash the rest

or keep it, clean it/clean install, and use it as a music server/file server or for folding @ home

personally i would clean it out and give it a fresh start so incase i needed Windows for something i could use it still

the choice is up to you though

3. Brettla thread starter macrumors regular

i don't have the option to put windows xp on it because it has a part on the motherboard that isn't compatible with that OS.

4. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    clean install win 98 sp 2

make is a music server :)

5. Brettla thread starter macrumors regular

i forgot to ask, does any one know any good free anti-virus software for the pc (windows 98 se), i currently have a 15 day trail of norton that is almost expired, and i don't think the program is good enough to buy.

6. Darwin macrumors 65816

Darwin

There that AVG Anti-Virus which is a free alternative

7. Dr. No macrumors regular

Maybe try Windows 2000 (with Service Pack 4), works great on Pentium III machines.

8. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

That is a nice machine to learn linux on!
    Download a linux distro (mandrake is a nice one for beginners)
    and play with it!
    Then you dont have to worry about spyware and viruses on it!
    Linux runs greats on a 450 mhx machine.
    Mandrake includes Mozilla, OpenOffice and much more, its a complete installation with everything you'll ever need.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Agreed!

Be sure to install the updates/patches as well.

Also, you might want to get another 128MB of RAM. Win2K can run under 64MB, better at 128MB, but great at 256MB.

Works with Office 2K very nicely.

Sushi

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

There is probably some organization such as a Boy Scout troop that would love to have it as a donation.

You might want to consider this option.

Sushi

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

12. CrackedButter macrumors 68040

CrackedButter

Bin it then...

13. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Agreeing with sushi on this one, if you don't want it, don't chuck it. Please consider donating it instead, there are plenty of people who would appreciate a donation such as this, try you local schools or indeed the Scouts. :)

14. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Keep maintaing it..

Otherwise, you're eatting my bandwidth because it's been compromised and is now a zombie participating in a DDoS of Jebus knows what.. That and you're trojaned and being used to spam me. Stop it.

Or unplug it from the "newtwoek". Grok?

15. Brettla thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the info about the AVG anti-virus, it found 7 problems that norton couldn't find.

16. brap macrumors 68000

There's a 6-month free trial of F-Secure going at the moment, promoted through XP SP2. AVG let my machine sit with 3 viruses last time I trusted that crap...

17. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Just wondering... why don't you wanna put Linux on it?

18. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Some guy made an unoffical Win98SE Service Pack. It is great. And if you don't want it, maybe you can ship it to me, depends on how heavy it is... :rolleyes:

19. Brettla thread starter macrumors regular

I've heard from friends that linux can be very hard to run, but then again that was about 3 years ago i was seriously considering it. If someone has used a very good build of linux that works very well on a mac network and maby even could work well as a file server for the macs i would greatly appreciate it. But the other thing is, will i be able to find drivers for the hardware for linux. If possible please recommend and linux gui that doesn't have so much of a windows look to it, something more Macish.

Thanks

20. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Try Mandrake Linux. Its the one easiest linux out there and its free.
    The two lagest linux guis (windowmanagers) are KDE and GNOME.
    You can choose both when you are installing it and choose EVERY time you log in whenever you want to run GNOME or KDE.
    There are also very easy to setup servers on it.

21. Gadolie macrumors newbie

I too have been wondering what to do with my old PC w/ pentium III & XP. It was good that I stumbled upon this thread. It has two drives one w/ 30Gb and one w/ 60GB. Can I use the hard drives as just storage for my mac? What type of problems could I encounter? Does it matter what OS I'm using? Will the two systems connect and exchange w/ ea. other? How do I connect? Firewire?
    Thanks!

22. makisushi macrumors 6502

I am a total computer dum-dum, and I seem to be able to tool around in Linux without too much effort. In other words, you might be suprised how easy it is to do basic stuff.