Is my old unused Applecare plan still valid?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by omgwut, Aug 14, 2006.

1. omgwut macrumors 6502

Jul 28, 2006
    I had been considering purchasing a three-year Applecare protection plan with a MacBook Pro, when I realized that I still have one sitting in its box, unused since we bought it over two years ago. Of course I don't have the store receipt anymore, but the thing hasn't been registered yet. Will this still cover as an extended warranty for the MacBook Pro for three years to the day if I use it now?

2. Acehigh macrumors 6502

Mar 5, 2006

YES!! will work ... 3 years from the date you brought your macbook Pro
  3. omgwut thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 28, 2006
    Well, I mean.. the unused plan is about two years older than the MacBook Pro.

You mean three years from the date that I register it to cover my MacBook Pro?
  4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

May 2, 2005
    The AppleCare box has to say "for MBP".. it's linked to the model of machine.

since it's two years old, it expires in a year, but it can't hurt to throw in the serial number and try, just for giggles.
  5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    The PowerBook AppleCare boxes also work for MBPs, just like iBook boxes cover MBs. If it is a PowerBook box, there's a good chance it might work. After all, you can buy AppleCare on eBay, and where's the guarantees that those were originally purchased after your machine was.

But if it's for something other than a PowerBook, you're almost certainly out of luck.
  6. omgwut thread starter macrumors 6502

Jul 28, 2006
    Eh.. the red strip in the top right corner says iMac/eMac.

Pbbblt. Forget it, thanks.
  7. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    Maybe call apple, and see if its still a valid policy, and then sell it on ebay
  8. ironic23 macrumors 6502

Feb 8, 2006
    hehe. that probably says it all. maybe you can call apple to see if the serial is still valid and you can sell it off. :) then you can buy the proper applecare for your MBP! good luck!