Is my pixel dead or stuck? Dead pixel 101...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Demon Hunter, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    My LCD looks like it's problem free, but this little pixel is, well, bothersome.

I've got a faint RED pixel in the upper left hand corner of my new 17", by the Apple menu. From what I've read, this is STUCK in the ON position and not DEAD. Am I right in thinking there is a difference? Is a stuck pixel better than a "dead" one? I've noticed it only shows up sometimes... for example, if I use ScreenQuery and the screen is black, it's gone.

I've tried rubbing it very gently with the anti-static bag it came with. How firmly should I rub? Will the pixel go back to normal with time?

2. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    Well... I'd rather have a stuck pixel than a dead pixel. Dead pixels just appear black, no color, no nothing. When you are setting your LCD to show only black color, screen blank, etc. Its turning off the light that is hitting that pixel. So, AFAIK you can't fix any kind of dead/stuck pixels, but there have been occasions of people fixing stuck pixels.
  3. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Jan 26, 2005
    Yes, you're right,
    stuck=specific color

Stuck pixels sometimes can be rubbed back on though, stuck pixels are more common over dead pixels as well.
  4. Demon Hunter thread starter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
  5. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2005
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I just noticed one on my screen and began searching for a way to fix this. I had a little grey pixel near the center of my screen. I used my index finger and the radtech keyboard cloth to rub a few times. I didn't really think it would work, but it did. Good luck.