Is my Powerbook a "Pismo"?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by KarenM, Nov 3, 2002.

1. KarenM macrumors newbie

I'm trying to determine if my PB is one they call Pismo, sometimes referred to as "the best laptop Apple made". I'm looking at selling it and would like feedback re: if anyone has sold one of these & if so, for how much.

The confusing part is that when I looked for its specs on Apple, it didn't exactly fit any of those listed under the G3 PB list: I bought it 2/7/00, so it most closely matches the one called PowerBook (Firewire), but it has 1, not 2 FW ports. Also, they don't list a 333MHz processor for that one: only 400 & 500. On the other hand, the specs for the G3-333 say "bronze keyboard", and it does not have one; they say no Firewire & it has one.
    :confused:

Specs:

G3
    333MHz
    192MB [64 built in w/128 added]
    4GB
    24XCD/ENE
    VST Zip Drive /100MB/1999 G3 Power
    G3 Ion Battery
    2 USB
    1 Firewire
    14" [diagonal] screen
    PowerBook G3 keyboard with inverted T
    8MB VRAM
    ROM revision: $77D-45F6
    MAC OS File version: 3.7
    OS 9.0.4

Any help in clarifying will be appreciated. If I have left out any crucial determining info from System Profiler, please advise.

Thanks.

2. DavidCL23 macrumors 6502

How much do you want for it, email me I am interested in purchasing it.

3. beez7777 macrumors 6502a

beez7777

www.everymac.com

they have the specs of every mac, it should be relatively easy to find your computer there:)

4. chmorley macrumors 6502a

chmorley

Sounds like

According to Mactracker, it sounds like a G3 (Bronze keyboard). It is listed as the only G3 powerbook that ran at 333 MHz. It did not, however, have Firewire. Are you sure the port you are identifying is firewire? Are you sure it is a 333 MHz G3?

Try looking at Mactracker and see if you can match your specs to its.

Definitely upgrade your OS to 9.2--it's a free upgrade and will help potential buyers who don't know it's a free upgrade.

Chris

5. KarenM thread starter macrumors newbie

Whoops. Consulting EveryMac, I've found it is a "Lombard", and that what I thought was a firewire port was actually an ethernet port. Boy, do I ever feel dumb. the port with <--> is Ethernet? All this time I thought it was Firewire.

I don't know if a Lombard is better than a Pismo or not re: upgradability...will be researching that.

Karen

6. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

Unfortunately the Lombard is "not as good" as the Pismo. It has a SCSI port, where the Pismo has two FireWire ports, plus the architecture is slower. However, it's still a very solid machine, and some people actually prefer to have built in SCSI as opposed to FW. Good LUck

7. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Or both

I'm writing this on a 333MHz Lombard, and the machine has been my workhorse for the past three years. I say it's a damn good machine - don't forget you can add Firewire via your PC Card slot, so then you get legacy (SCSI) and legacy-free (USB, Firewire) ports all together on one machine. Nice.

Also, upgrading Ram and the Hard drive on this machine is a doddle.

It's probably the only laptop I'll ever own - I'm going to keep using this as my portable machine and buy a Dual 867 in the next month or so for music recording.

Come to pappa:D

8. KarenM thread starter macrumors newbie

Dunepilot,

Thanks for your post. You said,

"you can add Firewire via your PC Card slot, so then you get legacy (SCSI) and legacy-free (USB, Firewire) ports all together on one machine. Nice....

Also, upgrading Ram and the Hard drive on this machine is a doddle."

Can you explain how the PC Card slot allows upgrade to Firewire? Once the card is in, how does one get access to a Firewire port?

Have you upgraded your Lombard HD? If so, what did you choose, and why?

Thanks,

9. shadowfax0 macrumors 6502

Does the pismo offer Airport, or does one have to use something in the PC Card slot? I wouldn't mind having a Pismo.... :D

10. KarenM thread starter macrumors newbie

Shadowfax,

Turns out it's a Lombard,not a Pismo. And no Airport. Probably needs a PC card.

11. KarenM thread starter macrumors newbie

Shadowfax,

Turns out it's a Lombard,not a Pismo. And no Airport. Probably needs a PC card.

12. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

There are Firewire interfaces for laptops that plug into the PC card slot and have Firewire ports on the other end, so that your PC card slot (when the card is in it) is effectively turned into a Firewire port. (Plug Firewire PC card into the slot, then plug whatever Firewire device you want to use into the PC card.)

The Lombard should accept any laptop-sized (2.5") hard drive. IBM and Toshiba are the big two makers of laptop drives, and they're all good drives. Drives with fluid bearings are quieter, and 5400rpm drives are faster than 4200rpm drives (most laptop drives are 4200rpm). They're up to 60GB in size now, I believe.

13. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Aren't you the guy that started this thread about how you got an IBM ThinkPad because the current (soon to be updated and price dropped) TiBook was too slow?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13516

:confused:

14. BenderBot1138 macrumors 6502

Lombard/Pismo

I hope the reason you're looking to sell "the best laptop Apple made" is to buy the REAL best laptop Apple made and makes... a Titanium Powerbook.

Better than a tankful of sharks with "fricken" laser beams attached to their heads.

15. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

16. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Re: Lombard/Pismo

Quit talking so much BS!!!

With the Ti you can't:
    1. Upgrade the processor to a G4 500.
    2. Upgrade the cache.
    3. Upgrade the video ram.
    4. Add and INTERNAL zip, floppy, super disc, DVD burner, extra battery, extra hard drive, DVD/CD player.

Besides you have:
    1. Every single port avalible in the market: 2 USB, 2 Firewire, audio i/o, 2 video output ports (the TI has only one), PCMCI card port, infra red, modem, ethernet, up to 1GB of ram.

And today all that for less than a $1000!!!!!!!

The only thing the Ti has is the screen size because the enclosure is not that reliable as the Pismo.