Is my powerbook cooking?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by dvdiva, Apr 11, 2005.

1. dvdiva macrumors member

Temps for my powerbook using Temperature monitor are 51c-processor 55c-power supply bottom 33c battery 38c for hdd. Thats an Idle tempurature. Pb is a 15" 1.33 g4. Was about 5-7 degrees hotter but got a Laptop2 pad but it only cools it down if the back legs are down. I have never heard the fan come on but it's fan might be more quite than the 7+ fans in the Xeon system thats next to it. Is there any way of turning the fan on I'd rather have the fan going than to fry the powerbook.

2. john1123 macrumors regular

john1123

i've never heard of a fried PB before.. i do remember burning out my Athlon 2500+ a while back though :p the smell was pretty bad :rolleyes:

anyway doesn't the PB shutdown when the temps get too hot?

3. dvdiva thread starter macrumors member

I had an athalon fry also. New ones don't do that nearly as often ever since they have a metal top on them instead of being exposed. I've never had the PB shut down yet- seems very stable. Just worried about the heat.

4. john1123 macrumors regular

john1123

I'm not sure since I can't read temps on my G3 iBook but 50C on the CPU should be normal/alright. and yes my iBook gets quite hot.

5. arribadia macrumors member

Actually the new space heaters now are manufactured by Intel :cool:

6. kbonnel macrumors 6502

My powerbook basically runs 24x7, and the temp is usually around 52 - 64C. (it is pretty much a desktop machine when I am not traveling, never goes to sleep) Never had a problem over the past year. Of course my hard drive did just die, but I don't know if that is heat related, or just a disk going bad. I have had the temp rise to a high of 67C, but still didn't have a problem. The fan doesn't come on until around 60C I think.

Kimo

7. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I don't understand why people get so concerned about this. Look -- OS X controls your fan speed and monitors you temperature automatically. Apple knows the heat tolerance, you do not. If your PB fries, it's Apple's responsibility so long as it is under warranty. PowerBooks are known to run very well with little or no fan noise in my experience. And if it bothers you that much, get it checked out (though they will probably tell you the same thing :rolleyes: ).

8. Echidna macrumors newbie

I've got the same system (a 1.33 PB 15''), and I get around the same temperature readings. I have occasionally heard the fan come on, but from what I gather, PowerBooks do get very hot, and it can be alarming if you're not used to it. But it sounds as though this is normal behaviour - I have heard of processor temperature getting up to the high 60's under heavy usage. You could always try Thermograph (http://www.kezer.net/thermographx.html), which has a list of reference temperatures submitted by various people to confirm you are operating in the usual range.

It does bother me though, as it's more heat than I'm used to from a laptop, and can be unfcomfortable if you've got it actually sitting on your lap - but I'm looking at getting one of those laptop stands that dissapate heat away from it, making it more comfortable to use.

9. ryan42 macrumors 6502

ryan42