Is My Router Dying

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by bobber205, Mar 22, 2007.

1. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Over the past few months, the wirless internet (the only source for 3/4 computers in the house) has been dropping randomly. In the past couple weeks, I'll get these weird bouts of no connection or such long periods of "waiting" for such and such to respond.

To prove it to myself, I try pinging google. The delay is usually 60-65 ms. When it's hanging, it's often 200-1000 ms. :eek:

Yeah. I know. Waaaay too high. While all this is going on with the wireless the one G4 ethernet equipped computer gets a strong net connection.

we pay 5.00 a month for "insurance" and we've had the router sicne June. I don't have school tomorrow so should I take the time to call to tell them to send us a new one?

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

That doesn't seem normal, so I would call them. Routers seem to be hit or miss, frankly. My old Belkin started randomly dropping connections kind of how you describe a few months back, and I ended up just having to replace it.

3. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Would just like to say that this is the wrong section to be posting this is in, and if you post in Mac Basics and Help you will get more responces. Goodluck with that.

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

What router do you have? Is it a cable modem/router all-in-one?

Also, do you loose the entire wireless signal, or just your connection to the internet?

Does the computer with the ethernet connection go through the same device?

5. bobber205 thread starter macrumors 68020

bobber205

The ethernet computer goes through the same device indeed. :D

I never lose my connection. I can always ping outside servers. It just sometimes it takes forever to do so.

I called Qwest tech support today. The little english speaking person ( :rolleyes: ) told me to turn the "power" up to 10 in my router settings and to change the frequency.

He also told me of their site that gives you this info. (LOL. Can't get to a website when everything times out fool)

Note Mods. If you could move this to an appropriate forum, I would appreciate it. Sorry.