Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sako7stw

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
My son was using his touch today to surf the net for a long time. it crashed on him. All it would do is go to a white screen. I plugged it in and itunes showed everything on it. It said it needed the latest software update so i tried it. It asked if i wanted to do a backup and i did. It then went through the process and when it was installing the software it asked something about restoring and I said yes. The Ipod then disappeared off of Itunes, and the computer. The ipod will do nothing at all, like it is turned off and it wont even try to turn on. When I plug it back into the computer, it doesn't even see it. What do i do next or is he S.O.L.?

May 8, 2008
My son was using his touch today to surf the net for a long time. it crashed on him. All it would do is go to a white screen. I plugged it in and itunes showed everything on it. It said it needed the latest software update so i tried it. It asked if i wanted to do a backup and i did. It then went through the process and when it was installing the software it asked something about restoring and I said yes. The Ipod then disappeared off of Itunes, and the computer. The ipod will do nothing at all, like it is turned off and it wont even try to turn on. When I plug it back into the computer, it doesn't even see it. What do i do next or is he S.O.L.?

I don't think there's much you can do if the device isn't powering on. Let it sit overnight. Perhaps it's overheated. Try to connect it again in the morning.

Also, try plugging it into the wall via an AC adapter. This will let you know if its not communicating with the computer anymore or if it's completely fried.

If all else fails, try taking it into your nearest Apple store and telling them what happened. They may be able to run a diagnostic test on it.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
Try holding down the Sleep and Home buttons at the same time for ten seconds and see what happens. If that doesn't work, then plug it into your computer, hold Sleep and Home for ten seconds then let go of sleep and just hold down Home for another ten (do not let go of the Home button at all during this process). This should kick it into DFU mode and let you restore - if not, then it seems like it is fried.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.