Is my Superdrive shot?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jruc4871, Feb 15, 2007.

1. jruc4871 macrumors regular

May 4, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Frustrating problem with my 1.25 eMac Superdrive.

Oddly enough, the problem started when I tried to eject my iPod using iTunes (weird, right?). I clicked "eject" and the Superdrive opened. :confused:

From that point forward, the drive wouldn't close when pressing the open/close button on the keyboard. It opens just fine, but I have to manually close it (painful as it is). It was able to read discs for a short while.

I figured the drive was dying, so I thought I'd do a DVD backup of my 40GB iTunes library while I still could. Unfortunately, it stopped reading discs after the fourth backup disc. Now, the drive still opens, but it won't close or read discs.

Is my drive shot? I tried an open firmware reset, but it didn't fix anything. Is there anything else I can try, or should I try to replace the drive?

thanks much
  2. SkyBell macrumors 604

Sep 7, 2006
    Texas, unfortunately.
    It sounds like it isn't a software problem, so it probably is your superdrive.

I wouldn't worry about the backup too much (although you probably should, as it's a good idea anyway)You should probably take it to a licensd repair service unless you have some experiance in these kinds of things.