Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Hey! I have a titanium PowerBook G4, 867 MHz, that just stopped turning on after being in my bag during a road trip. I have tried doing a PMU reset and it doesn't work. The battery still holds a charge but nothing I am doing is working. Does anyone have any advice?

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
At least on the earlier TiBooks, a dead(but still connected) PRAM battery will prevent the computer from booting. I've not ever observed this being the case on a DVI model, but it still might be worth trying.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
At least on the earlier TiBooks, a dead(but still connected) PRAM battery will prevent the computer from booting. I've not ever observed this being the case on a DVI model, but it still might be worth trying.
I had that issue. I just removed it. I got the TiBook for $20 since it was non-working.

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
Sorry, I completely misunderstood what was going on. So I think I have two problems:

1.) my charger and/or socket must be broken because my laptop only turns on in certain positions that are hard to find

2.) the battery, no matter how many times i readjust its position, is able to charge, but the laptop isn't able to take a charge from it at all. weirder yet, it seems to be charging even when the laptop isn't turning on

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Sorry, I completely misunderstood what was going on. So I think I have two problems:

1.) my charger and/or socket must be broken because my laptop only turns on in certain positions that are hard to find

2.) the battery, no matter how many times i readjust its position, is able to charge, but the laptop isn't able to take a charge from it at all. weirder yet, it seems to be charging even when the laptop isn't turning on

Expect all sorts of weirdness if the battery is faulty - mine lasted nearly 5 hours despite the system saying it's not even there, said battery charging when the charger was turned off....and of course, battery not charging when charger was on and working.

The fiddly charger plug/socket shouldn't be a problem once you jiggle it into working.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.