Is Nintendo Retarded?

Discussion in 'Games' started by TheMonarch, Aug 23, 2005.

1. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

OK, first, I'm a huge fan of the big N...

But I hate to see it shoot itself in the foot constantly. I'm talking about the new GB coming out soon, the GB MICRO ... umm... WTF?!

The screen will not be WAY to small, and its not clamshell anymore, something people LOVED about the SP. Why take it away? The DS is clamshell, so why is the Micro not?

Wait, why even release the Micro? :confused:
    Its making something nearly perfect, and making it worse. Do we really need another GBA revision?

Why Nintendo, WHY???!!!

Why not make the DS less ugly? add some of the PSP's beauty? And why it is not called Gameboy DS? Isn't it supposed to be the GB's successor? (If it isn't, and its supposed to be a totaly new radical game system, then why does it allow you to play previous generation games like the GBA?)

BTW, I have a DS, its awsome, except UGLY, but so so fun. I just hate how Nintendo is corn-hole-ing itself.

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

That title has gotta be the biggest bit of flamebait I've seen in a while.

I believe the mentality behind the Micro is the same mentality Apple had behind the Mini and Shuffle. Make a small one for people obsessed with size, but the majority can go with the big one.

Nintendo stated specificly that it is NOT a successor to the GameBoy but in fact a third line (GameBoy was the handheld and GameCube the console, the DS is a so-called 'third pillar') and eventually they will release a GameBoy successor. But as the GameBoy and DS are seperate lines, they therefore will support both and keep making GBA games as well as DS games.

Most likely because the DS is twenty times more durable. I've dropped mine on concrete a dozen times and scratched the top of the case like nobody's business. I take it everywhere. Were that a PSP, the screen would be a disaster. Nintendo always was for durability over prettyness; thats why we got the 'purple lunchbox' GameCube, that was far more durable than the PS2 or XBox.

3. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

1) Yeah, the tittle was on purpose, It got your attention didn't it? (I didn't want to sound cocky, sorry if I did, but thats how I feel about Nintendo at the moment)
    2) The apple mini comparison works to some extent, but not really, because the mini and regular ipods to the exact same thing, the micro is a whole new thing using old tech, AFTER the newer "better" tech already came out. And on top of that, the newer tech plays the old tech, so why re-release old tech as a separate device? (sorry, if i got off track w/the "tech")
    At the $100 release price point, $30 more gets you a DS, and you can play GBA. I just dont see a point.
    3) You got a point about the durability thing, but its still flat out ugly. I know that its subjective, but many agree that the PSP make the DS looks waaay better. Plus its possible to design something beautiful, and durable (hello, iBooks?). So I don't buy the whole "its ugly because it has to be durable" thing. Its just plain ugly.

4. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

The Micro and the GBA SP do the EXACT same thing (play GBA games), except that the Micro has a smaller screen.

The Mini and the iPod do the EXACT same thing (play music, same formats and interface), exept the Mini has a smaller capacity.

Same concept.

I agree on the price point, that's ridiculous. I expected it to be $50. Reggie said it was the cheapest GameBoy they'd ever produced.

True, but I don't mind, I'm usually watching the game :p

I wouldn't call it ugly (but looks are a personal preference thing), it just doesn't look really good either.

5. Devie macrumors 6502a

The DS isnt ugly, the PS2... now thats ugly.
    The DS closed looks a bit od and not that good, though when opened, it looks very good IMO, though the PSP does look better, but in real world, DS wins with fold design and not a magent for finger marks.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

since when did retarded companies completely own the handheld market and make the most profit compared to its competitors?

7. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Bang on Raggedjimmi :).

But I'm sure when blaskillet4 gets his Company up and running he'll blow the retarded likes of Ninetendo, Sony, and Microsoft out of the water with his wonderful insight into what everybody in the world wants ;).

8. MacNoobie macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Honestly I feel Nintendo is slowly going down the tube, with MS and Sony dominating the game console markets I cant say I blame Nintendo but they're making stupid decisions for awhile now, no online service, sticking the Mario and Zelda games hoping that will keep them alive, now the GB Micro.

Nintendo lost another person today since Resident Evil 5 is going to be on the 360 and PS3 so no reason for me to consider the Revolution.

Thanks Nintendo you've been there in the 80's with the NES, SNES, N64, GB etc but its time to close up shop and admit defeat, you wont survive the next 5-8 years.

9. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

I give it less than that.

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Dying just like Apple :rolleyes:?

Nintendo know their audience and they know it well. They remain the only profitable firm out there and I beleive they will continue to be. As far as I can see Sony and Microsoft have not even attempted to try and go after the same demographic as Nintendo has under their control. They put out similar systems but aim them at totally different audience. There is room in the market for everyone. Except perhaps Microsoft.

I wouldn't be too hasty in jumping to conclusions :)

11. cubist macrumors 68020

The GB Micro's main market may be Japan where everyone is obsessed with small things... $100 does sound like a crazy price. The GBA SP would blow it away in every respect functionally, and it's not all THAT big, is it?

FTM, Nintendogs is a runaway craze in Japan, but I don't see that happening in the US. Tamagotchis were not all that popular here either.

Who's got Asphalt? Is it good? Why does NFS Underground 2 get such crappy reviews, is it really that bad?

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You all say that Nintendo will be gone in a few years? Wow, Nintendo's far from being the 'retarded' one.

There are people out there, people who dont class themselves as fanboys people who dont really give much crap to games... who absolutely love Mario, Zelda and Metroid. There is no competition with those games which is why they sell.

Yes like Apple, sure whats it? 3-5% of computers out there are Apple. but the iPod market share is immense. now i'd really hate to say this (although its already been said) but Apple aren't going anywhere. are they? So why should Nintendo go? even if they had 3% they would still be in the game.

Again, i reiterate, the millionth person to say so, Nintendo is making more profit than any of its rivals. would they just say "lets shut down, we've had enough of huge profits"? Remember. Nintendo is a COMPANY. a COMPANYs main target is money/profit/income, however you put it, if they had 1% share but still had massive profits they would still be in the game. can i put this any simpler?

I never thought a mac forum could be so stupid. -_-

13. GaseousPlatypus macrumors member

Oh God, I just watched the Chinpokomon episonde of Southpark, so that quote was hilarious.

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Microsoft DOMINATING the console market?

Gee...considering that Microsoft's marketshare was EQUAL to Nintendo's in the console market, and Nintendo had a 90% marketshare in handhelds, and made more profits than either Sony or Microsoft off the GameCube...

If that's how you define being dominated, then let Nintendo get dominated :D

Nintendo's like Apple. Even if the marketshare dwindles on their flagship console, they know how to keep it extremely profitable, and always have their portables to give them an income. Just like Apple has a 3% marketshare on Macs, but as they sell the hardware and software make more money per system than the other companies, and have the iPod to back them up...

15. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

The XBOX/PS2-3 are not the same.

The Revolution is another, not the same.

XBOX = crap computer that plays games without crashing

PS2 = crap DVD player that plays games without crashing

Nintendo = innovative game/console maker

Consoles are just computers that do one thing, and do it well.

In the console market, if you dominate JAPAN you dominate the market. While the US/EU are HUGE markets, the real $ is in Japan. XBOX does crap business cuz M$ has no producers like Sony does.

If you have Square/Enix etc on your side you win the console wars.

its not the consoles, its the games. Its why Nintendo IS STILL AROUND eventhough they havent put out a decent RPG since the SNES.

You cant compare the XBOX to the PS2 nor to the Revolution/GCube, they are all vastly different machines that all just play games on a TV.

16. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

People have been saying that since before XBox or PlayStation came out, yet here we are.

17. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

You don't get it do you? Fist of all, Apple is more than twice the size that Nintendo is, so if they had the same 5% market share, Nintnedo would be in more trouble than apple. The Gameboy is Nintendo's remaining dominating console, and they're going to kill it off by releasing an old console in a crappyer package at an outrageous price range. Don't you think thats somewhat stupid?

I know its mostly about the games, just like its mostly about osx on a mac. But we all know that the hardware has something, because we all love how our macs look.

EDIT: And if they had 1% market share, sure Nintendo could (i guess) still profit by selling to 1% of the market, but its not only Nintendo that needs to profit.. How many game developers do you think are going to waste their time making games for 1% of the market? Its not the thread thats stupid here :rolleyes:

18. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

well, not exactly. Square Enix were once good. but have you seen the reviews of the latest Square games? they've been a falling star since FFVII. The last good game since FFVII for me was FF: Lost Souls, the ports of FF1 and 2.
    seemingly its not just me who thinks that too. a lot of Square people are saying they need a new FFVII to conquer again.
    As for RPGs, Tales of Symophonia is getting rave reviews. but because its on the Cube its vastly unheard. People are calling that the new FFVII. I've yet to play it but its supposed to be very epic.

besides its not just RPG's that sell. in Japan Nintendog's is doing insanely well, as is Jump Superstars. Mario Bros 3 is either the most sold game ever or very near it. not an RPG.
    sorry im going on about RPG's but you're coming across as saying that RPGs make or break console sales. but i do get what you're saying about them being totally different machines. Although as an Xbox user too, the Xbox and PS2 are so similar, same 3rd party support, both have major DVD playback issues, both have (imo) uncomfy official controllers...

taking that into account, the Revolution would dominate. Widest 1st party game demographic AND killer looks?

Funny, you may think its stupid but its going sell like wildfire. you know that, the public knows that. Can i bring back the Shuffle ideology here. A cut-down small version that costs just a whisker under its big brother. if they released a new 'cutdown' but visually identical SP without GB compatibility then they would charge a lot less. but they do something different and make an entirely new case out of metal, sure the tech is 5 years old, but now its tiny. a process we all know costs a lot.
    The same can be said about taking an iPods shell and sticking a little 512Mb-1Gb flash drive in there. the price would drop so low.

And no its not stupid. its aimed at a different demographic. its aimed at people who want a little keychain fashion accessory, but who want to play games too. i doubt fashion folk are going to miss the GB compatibility.

dont lose any sleep over the Micro. it will fill its part and once more make Nintendo more money.

19. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

You're exactly right.

I saw the Micro at E3 and it's exactly that. A hip fashion accessory, with a myriad of different colors and "skins" aimed at the cell-phone game market segment.

People remember the simplicity of old game boy: A, B, start. I would much rather game on this than punching keys on my cell phone.

20. davidgilmour macrumors member

I am gonna buy one because it is so small.

21. TheMonarch thread starter macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Great! Support the big N. But I'm afraid its gonna flop. I still stand, and say that they should have made the DS slimmer instead of making a whole new handheld.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

any slimmer and it would have the battery life of the PSP. I opened the battery compartment up a day or so ago, just because i had a mini screwdriver on me. the battery is TINY. the way i see it there is a LOT in there. and 2 screens too. it could not be any slimmer. not with todays tech.
    maybe the top screen could be slimmer, but then your risking bad sound quality (the speakers would need to be slimmer too)...

no thanks.

23. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

The SNES and the N64 were the 90s.

24. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

not true, my xbox crashes, weather it shares components with a pc (only one of them being the pentium 3 cpu) does not make it any less of a console, and the ps2 is a console, weather you choose to classify it as a dvd player that can play games just shows how blind you are, games are it's primary function, just because nintendo wanted to use crappy mini dvd's does not make them more dedicated to games, i dont hold anything against the cube it's just nintendo fanboys like you which act all superior because other consoles do more than just play games, adding a dvd player does not reduce the number or quality of games produced for the system, if anything it increases it as the console will be more popular.