Is now a Bad time to buy a 20'' iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mr Mac Newbie, Feb 20, 2007.

  1. Mr Mac Newbie macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2007
    Location:
    London, England
    #1
    Hi guys

    I am so eager to buy my first ever mac and i currently have my sights on the 20'' iMac. Upgrades would be 256 GPU and 2GB Ram

    Is this the wrong time to buy the Mac?
    I know Leopard is out soon but that doesn't bother me that much as i may not want to upgrade staright away plus i don't mind payig for it when it is released as it doean't cost that much i understand

    It's more to do with Hardware. Are apple bringing out a new imac soon? Does every new generation have a BIG advancment in terms of hardware power ect?

    I need to know soon otherwise i may so silly and buy Vista and a new PC to go with my xbox 360
     
  2. phungy macrumors 68020

    phungy

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2006
    Location:
    FL/NY/TX
    #2
    Do you need it now? If so, buy it. I'd say either buy now or wait another 4-5 months if you want a (possible) processor update.
     
  3. kixsand macrumors regular

    kixsand

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2007
    Location:
    Toronto
    #3
    Go ahead and buy.

    I think it will be at least 6 months before you see a hardware upgrade of any import. Also, it's not like you'd be going out and buying a pc that offers more...the iMac has some of the best technology available...you're not missing out on anything.

    Go ahead and take the plunge.

    darren
     
  4. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2006
    #4
    i'd say go for it because its an excellent machine
     
  5. Zwhaler macrumors 603

    Zwhaler

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2006
    #5
    Yeah, I would still buy now. This computer will last you a loong time, and the next update probably wont be here for awhile, they still need to update the Mac Pro and Mac Mini before the iMac.
     
  6. paradillon macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2004
    #6
    Some are waiting for the release of system 10.5 to purchase new computers. Retail cost of system software has typically been 129.00 US. But like was said before, if you have the need now buy now.
     
  7. BigPrince macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2006
    #7
    I'm on the waiting side cause at this point if you can wait you should. It will be silly to dish out money for leopard and iLife in the next 1-3 months.
     
  8. Mr Mac Newbie thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 4, 2007
    Location:
    London, England
    #8
    It wasn't the design of it that bothers me either as i love the look of the current imac's but it's a case of new processors ect.

    Surely an upgraded version in say 6 months time won't be that much ore advanced considering the Core 2 duo processors are still quite new.

    I do have a pc at the moment which works OK but i get nothing good out of it and i want rid of it
     
  9. capran macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2003
    #9
    See the Buyer's Guide http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

    As of today, 2/20/07, the iMac has gone 168 days since the last update, and is now due for at least a refresh. Same with all the other Macs too.

    I've been itching my skin off since MWSF because Steve didn't mention ANYTHING about new Macs. It's extremely unusual. Then there was the rumor that there was going to be an Apple event today, but it didn't happen.

    Sigh. I really want a new Mac, but just don't have the funds at the present time. But it's damn disturbing for a dyed-in-the-wool computer dork like myself that Apple hasn't uttered a peep of new Macs in months.

    Take a look at the guide! Every model is due!!! IT'S DRIVING ME NUTS!! :confused: :eek: :mad:
     
  10. Zwhaler macrumors 603

    Zwhaler

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2006
    #10
    Eh I don't trust that buyers guide. It has never really been that accurate or helpful to me at all.
     
  11. macfan881 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2006
    #11
    well i think it really depends on if you want 10.5 and if you really want a faster processor to me i think the 2gh core 2duo was good and fast enough for me it blew me away on how much faster it was with my pc i orderd one sunday cant wait for it to come i figured my dad winds up geting the new os anyway so it wasnt a big deal there
     
  12. BigPrince macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2006
    #12
    Well I wouldn't go that far, I think looking at the dates and the average data gives one a better idea of an update then not having the guide at all. When I purchased by first Mac, I found the guides useful.

    Also, I keep telling myself that Santa Rose will be a big jump. Instant/Faster boot up because of Flash, less power usage, LED display, 64bit memory management, cooler, faster processor, just my hopes.
     
  13. eddiel macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2007
    #13
    Well I've been going through this decision in my head since Jan 1st! Although I am out to get the 24".

    Tha main thing for me is really hardware upgrades. Software I can buy hardware a bit tricky.

    I've searched forums & read opinions and it seems more and more likely that although maybe they are do a refresh it won;t be so significant that I would be bummed out about buying know.

    However, I'm waiting at the moment mainly because I don;t have the time to actually give the iMac the attention it deserves :)

    Very busy at work.

    I can see myself having to get one pretty soon though since my monitor on my pc is on the fritz and is acting funny. it's only a matter of time before it all goes tits up.

    Either way the best advice I keep reading is...if you need it now buy it. If not wait.

    I'm looking forward to owning one. Wish I could wait till the next major upgrade though as I am curious to see what it will be.

    Eddi
     
  14. foo10 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    #14
    I've decided to upgrade my 20" iMac with iSight at the end of the year or at the start of the next. Hopefully there will be a somesort of major upgrade to the iMac in that time.
     
  15. furious macrumors 65816

    furious

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2006
    Location:
    Australia
    #15
    It is never a BAD time to buy a MAC.

    It is never a BAD time to buy a MAC. :p
     
  16. 925AS macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2006
    Location:
    CALIFORNIA
    #16
    I say wait. In a couple of months you will have new hardware, iLife and new OS available. If you can wait do it.

    But furious is right there is never a bad time to buy a mac
     
  17. charmin macrumors member

    charmin

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    Location:
    W. London
    #17
    Check out the forums for people's problems with the Core 2 Duo iMacs.

    If the wireless is a big consideration in your purchase you may need to think twice, as a lot of new iMac users are getting some cruddy problems with the Airport speeds and it doesn't look like a fix is coming any time soon.
     
  18. iShizzle macrumors newbie

    iShizzle

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2007
    Location:
    Denmark
    #18
    I've recently bought a 24" iMac and am very content with the purchase.

    There will always be the risk of buying a computer that will be outdated in the following months. The best way to achieve a good deal is knowing what you need.

    If the 20" iMac fits your needs very well then I see no reason to wait.


    However, there's the highly unlikely possibility that I could be wrong...
     
  19. martin1000 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 16, 2005
    Location:
    Washington, D.C.
    #19
    I am holding off on buying a 24" until the new OS. I really do believe that all the computer lines are going to be refreshed around the same time shortly.

    I don't think it will be a major redesign for the iMac. But I think you can expect a speed boost and maybe a newer/better graphics card.

    If you can hold off for another month (late march), I think there are going to be many announcements...Leopard, iLife, iWork, and updated computers. Along with Adobe releasing Photoshop CS3. It's going to be a big month!!!
     
  20. kixsand macrumors regular

    kixsand

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2007
    Location:
    Toronto
    #20
    I just got a 24" iMac and have no problems with wireless -- worked right out of the box and the speed is fine. I just did a test last night and it is downloading at 4200 kbps through an airport extreme -- the old one.

    If there were problems I think they have been addressed.

    darren
     
  21. bananaquit macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2007
    Location:
    Montana
    #21
    I've been wrestling with the same issues, but now am getting closer to just buying a 24". I have been waiting for the "right" time to buy, but that just keeps getting stretched farther into the future, and in the meantime, the spring semester keeps getting shorter. I guess if the updates happen soon after my order I will just have to laugh about it, at my own expense :D .
     
  22. eddiel macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2007
    #22
    Thanks for posting that. I will def need to go the wireless route.

    Just out of curiousity how would location affect the performance. The phone line is downstairs at the oposite end of the house and my room is up stairs and being on older house is basically well built with proper brick walls.

    WOuld that cause any problems?

    Eddie
     
  23. charmin macrumors member

    charmin

    Joined:
    Dec 25, 2005
    Location:
    W. London
    #23
    The wireless issue is not resolved. My 24" iMac is all of a week old and it has this problem - it only affects some people. I don't know if it's the Macs themselves or an incompatibility with the chips in these iMacs and certain routers (lots of talk of this Broadcom vs. Atheros thing that I don't quite understand).

    If your router is over 30 feet away and has to go through more than one medium thickness wall, you MAY need to consider a repeater. If you get one of the dodgy iMacs, you'll need a few :mad:

    Edit: That said, if anybody is considering a 24" iMac and can guarantee the wireless will work or isn't too bothered, totally get one. I've upgraded from a 12" PowerBook and OH MY GOD it's fantastic :D
     
  24. Spock macrumors 68000

    Spock

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2002
    Location:
    Vulcan
    #24
    I just pulled the plug on a refurb 17" iMac Core2Duo. It is going to replace my 15" iMac G4. It shipped this morning, I hope is does not really take 5 days.
     
  25. Zwhaler macrumors 603

    Zwhaler

    Joined:
    Jun 10, 2006
    #25
    Well, keep in mind that when people get a perfect iMac (no problems) they usually don't bother to tell the world how nice it is. On the other hand, people always post when they have problems with their iMacs. I for one (and I couple of my friends with the same computer) havn't had a single problem with my iMac. If 10 people have problems, 250 people won't. (just a guess, but I am sure it is something like that)
     

Share This Page