Is now a good time to buy a PowerBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by martinlk, Jun 26, 2005.

  1. martinlk macrumors member

    martinlk

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Location:
    Aalborg, Denmark
    #1
    Hi all

    Just wanted to ask you if you think now is a good time to purchase a 12" PowerBook? This will be my first Mac, so I really can't wait very long. So I guess I just want to know whether updates can be expected for the PowerBook in the next month or so?

    Oh yeah, I am not waiting for the Mactels!
     
  2. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

    Rocksaurus

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #2
    iBooks should be updated really soon, which will bring them very close to the Powerbooks, which could save you some cash if you go iBook instead of Powerbook...
     
  3. Koodauw macrumors 68040

    Koodauw

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2003
    Location:
    Madison
    #3
    Its always a good time to buy a powerbook. The Rev. D is a very good buy.
     
  4. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

    DakotaGuy

    Joined:
    Jan 14, 2002
    Location:
    South Dakota, USA
    #5
    Probably should wait for the Intel processor. At this time next year all notebooks will be Intel and who knows how long Apple will support the G4 processor after that happens.
     
  5. runninmac macrumors 65816

    runninmac

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    Location:
    Rockford MI
    #6
    My thoughts exactly.
     
  6. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 15, 2005
    Location:
    Tacoma WA
    #7
    I really like the features of the rev d PB's and i'm hoping they offer up the cram and jam coupon this summer and i'll jump all over it.

    !Z
     
  7. mxpiazza macrumors 6502a

    mxpiazza

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2003
    Location:
    cleveland, oh
    #8
    it is rumored, and would make the most sense, that the powerbooks will be seeing the first intel processors in early summer 2006, 11-12 months from now. if this is the case, and i would certainly believe it given recent announements and developments, i wouldn't want to spend money on the top of the line PB now, just to see its resale value decrease and intel machines come out a year from now.

    i would buy a rev B or C off ebay, or an Apple refurb, load the RAM to 768, and go from there. the new rev D's are nice, but if you can find good value on a B or C, then i would say do that, and be ready to pounce on the mactel powerbook in summer of '06.
     
  8. Lacero macrumors 604

    Lacero

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    #9
    The last revision was in January. I think you should wait for the next revision.
     
  9. phull macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2005
    #10
    Just bought a 12" PB a few days ago. Fedex tracker says it'll be here tomorrow which means the update will probably be Tuesday. I would wait till then...... I couldn't :rolleyes: Good luck, you'll love it whenever you choose to get it.
     
  10. mxpiazza macrumors 6502a

    mxpiazza

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2003
    Location:
    cleveland, oh
    #11
    who knows when that will be... and with the intel powerbooks coming out in a year, here's betting that the next rev wont really offer up any mind-blowing features over this rev, if you are looking to buy now.
     
  11. Tamer Brad macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 13, 2005
    #12
    Suggesting to someone not to buy because mactels will be out in "only a year" is ridiculous! New technology is always coming!

    By that logic you could tell them to wait ten years to wait for something better to come out, and it WILL, but that's ludicrous.
     
  12. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

    dornoforpyros

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2004
    Location:
    Calgary, AB
    #13
    Do you need it now? If you do than it's a good time to buy!

    I've had my single 1.8 g5 powermac for 3 months now and they just discontinued them, the video card is a meagerr 64mb. But ya know what? The machine still works GREAT. No matter when you buy a mac your in good shape. Since the g5 powerbook is never gonna happen you don't really have to worry about a major upgrade.
     
  13. mxpiazza macrumors 6502a

    mxpiazza

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2003
    Location:
    cleveland, oh
    #14
    as i just posted like 3 seconds ago, i wouldn't tell someone to wait just because a speed bump is possibly coming out in 2 months.

    however, if someone is planning on buying and keeping a laptop for a few years, planning a purchase around an announced architecture transition is a completely different thing. it's not like i'm telling him to wait a year just to get 166mhz more out of his processor.
     
  14. Tamer Brad macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 13, 2005
    #15
    PPC will still be supported ... just as the majority of users aren't using Tiger right now, the majority of users won't be using Intel when it comes out.
     
  15. mxpiazza macrumors 6502a

    mxpiazza

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2003
    Location:
    cleveland, oh
    #16
    i know, but "supported" wont be forever, and programs will need to be run in rosetta, and not be native. all i'm saying is that this isn't like waiting for a speed bump, an architecture change is a different beast.

    the company line is that PPC will be completley supportted for at least 5 years, and i'm sure that is the case, but the development community will decide just how much PPC is supported throughout the years, and while rosetta looks promising, if you can wait a year for the new architecture, faster speeds, native processing... why not wait? or buy used now, so you can afford it then?

    just one man's opinion.
     
  16. runninmac macrumors 65816

    runninmac

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    Location:
    Rockford MI
    #17
    I remember when people last june were wondering if they should wait untill tiger was released!!! I was shocked! Somepeople just love playing the waiting game when there will always been newer technology out there.
     
  17. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2004
    #18
    you could post this a year from now and still be wondering so i say go for it
     
  18. rockandrule macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 3, 2004
    Location:
    Jacksonville, FL
    #19
    Hmmm... I just ordered my 15" PB, and as it looks from the majority of the people posting on their new purchases. It seems like a thriving time to purchase a PowerBook.
     
  19. everybodylikepi macrumors member

    everybodylikepi

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2005
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #20
    I'm finally buying a PB tomorrow. Check the sig...TOMORROW'S THE DAY!

    Go for it. :)
     
  20. mxpiazza macrumors 6502a

    mxpiazza

    Joined:
    Apr 22, 2003
    Location:
    cleveland, oh
    #21
    if you need a computer, buy now, there is never a better time than now.

    if you can afford to wait, wait for the achitecture change. the computer you buy tomorrow will be the best computer tomorrow, and it will serve you in the future just as well as it served you today... i just think for those who have a g4 system, they would be wise to wait.
     
  21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

    Abstract

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Location Location Location
    #22
    Exactly. Intel Macs will be out in 10 months time, but it won't be well adopted for at least 2 years after that, so I wouldn't worry. Its not like the entire Mac world is going to Intel in 1 year. Its just the folk who buy new computers, and personally, I don't wanna be the guinea pig who buys the 1st batch of Revision A Mac-Intels. There'll be issues like those of the current rev A aluminium Powerbooks. Right now, you know that the manufacturing process is refined. :)
     
  22. Tamer Brad macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 13, 2005
    #23
    You're wrong ...

    CURRENT PPC apps will run for Intel on Rosetta. There isn't backwards compatibility reported! If it was, someone tell me.

    New apps will ship as universal binaries for both intel and PPC!

    PPC will have more software for a long time!
     

Share This Page