Is Now Really a Good Time to Buy a PB G4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by BacktoMac, Jun 16, 2004.

  1. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2004
    #1
    After having been away for 10 years, I am planning to purchase a Mac. I would like a 15 PB. What I want to know is whether now is really a good time to purchase one? I have been reading all of the posts on when Apple is coming out with a PB G5 and it has only confused me. :confused: I am not in a huge rush so if it makes more sense to wait, I can.

    Can anyone help?
     
  2. macrumors 68040

    jxyama

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2003
    #2
    i guess you haven't been reading too carefully or something, because there was news a week or so ago from an apple insider talking about (among other things) how G5 PB is not coming any time soon.

    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74835

    considering PBs were just updated and all Al versions are at least on Rev. B, i'd say now is a very good time to get PBs. they are mature and very capable.
     
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2004
    #3

    Some of my reading was skimming. :eek: Thanks for your advice.
     
  4. macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 17, 2004
    Location:
    NYC
    #4
    seeing as how you are not in a rush, i would wait until the next powerbook revision, which will probably take place on or before MWSF 2005.
     
  5. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    Location:
    Ill.
    #5
    G-5 is hot

    Keep in mind that it takes 5 fans and a created wind tunnel to cool down the g-5 chip. So I think it will definately take some time before we see a g-5 PB. If you are worried about spending the dough and then it being released the 14" Ibook is a nice option, especially since it now comes with a G-4 processor and is quite a bit cheaper and when loaded with ram is quite speedy. Good Luck
     
  6. macrumors 6502a

    jknight8907

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2004
    Location:
    Hudson Valley NY
    #6
    I would wait until Steve's Keynote next week, and if nothing relevant comes out, go for it.
     
  7. macrumors 6502a

    jknight8907

    Joined:
    Jun 14, 2004
    Location:
    Hudson Valley NY
    #7
    err... week after next.
     

Share This Page