Is NutraSweet Safe?

Discussion in 'Community' started by pimentoLoaf, May 23, 2004.

1. pimentoLoaf macrumors 68000

pimentoLoaf

According to this article, it isn't.

Have you had any odd symptoms after ingesting it?

2. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

As long as you don't eat too much of it, you will be fine. A lot of those results were obtained by giving near fatal amounts of the stuff (even sugar can kill you if you eat too much).

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

yeah debate rages on about whether it can build up in your system or not... but at low doses it's not unsafe, and i don't personally believe this one causes any long-term harm to most people. Remember those urban-legends about the yellow dye in Mt. Dew shrinking people's testicles? Turned out you'd need to ingest gallons of the dye all at once for it to cause any such problems. Didn't stop people from being taken by it.

paul

4. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Headaches. I won't touch it.

If I want something sweet I just go for good old fashioned sugar. The secret is moderation. The only people who can't do that are diabetics.

5. dopefiend macrumors 6502

I thought it was suppose to lower your sperm count.... :confused:

I guess the myth changes a little all around the country, hehe.

Exactly and so can water!

Seems like everything these days can hurt you/cause cancer/mess up something...

I say, enjoy in moderation and don't worry about the stuff too much!

6. armchainmstenw macrumors member

Yea, it messes you up...my parents have told me this for years (they're MDs)

7. G5orbust macrumors 65816

G5orbust

I blame the 1980's health craze for ruining the world. And Dr. Atkins. Im glad hes dead because hes ruined every meal I have with my parents (theyre big Atkins diet fans). Too bad his legacy didnt die with him.

Why people cant have just plain old sugar escapes me... I mean, we've been eating the stuff for thousands of years. It didnt just suddenly become unhealthy.

8. dopefiend macrumors 6502

A form of the Atkin's diet saved my dads life....

That diet is great!

9. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

That would be mountain dew...

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    you know that food is best taken in moderation.

11. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Uhh...thats what were talking about here dude.

Yellow dye in mountain dew

edit: thats what the post I qouted was talking about :p

12. JordanNZ macrumors 6502a

I try to avoid anything that contains methanol... Gives me headaches, and does strange things to my vision.

13. dopefiend macrumors 6502

Yesh, I hope you do considering Methanol is an alcohol fuel! :eek:

14. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

I've read a few of the quotes listed there and as a PhD qualified chemist quite a lot of them are scientific BS such as these
    So one form of methyl alcohol is somehow more toxic than another? Seeing as there is only one form of methanol (CH3OH) then that is obviously wrong. I think they've got their ethyl and methyl mixed up as the form commonly found in alcoholic beverages is ethyl alcohol....which incidently is also toxic.
    It is not volatile - it's a white crystalline solid. It may well slowly hydrolyse to release methanol but methanol does not spontaneously decompose to formaldehyde. We've got great big bottles of methanol here and trust me - they ain't going off...
    Utter bull****. Aspartame is not a chlorocarbon. It is the hydrochloride salt of a dipeptide. You have strong hydrochloric acid in your stomach. Any protein you eat forms hydrochloride salts in your stomach. This is scaremongering by someone who knows the chemical symbol for Cl and C but knows very little else.
    I've boiled methanol for days at 150 deg F and it's still methanol, not formaldehyde. This report makes it sound like the aspartame is in wood alcohol or something. It isn't. The methanol is actually part of the molecule of aspartame though there may be the potential for it to be released.

I personally don't drink diet drinks because I think they taste like ****. If I want a drink I'll drink the sugar version - but hey wait....doesn't that cause cancer or something. ;)

If you're drinking so much of a drink that the sugar in it is making you fat - DRINK LESS OF IT. Water is cheap, refreshing and actually has no calories.

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Unless you're drink some of the crap foisted off on us by the Cola companies as a cleaner alternative to tap water, then their name-brand products polluted by sugar, dyes, and chemicals are probably less expensive.

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i would consider that statement as a myth..
    my 12 year old brother has diabetes since 2 years ..my uncle since perhaps 13 years..and both were far away from the "eating sugar all the time" image..
    nowadays it is pretty clear that the biggest part of getting diabetes is genetic related...doctors nowadays can easely say that somebody is in danger when looking at their relatives...they can not say _if_ somebody will get it nor _when_ they will get it..

17. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

What's wrong with the tap water?

Incidently Coke tried Dasani on the UK but were forced to remove it from the market within a month after they first revealed it was in fact purified tap water with calcium chloride added. This process increased the price from 0.0001 pence to 95 pence.

The second killer blow was when it was found to contain too much bromate that they had to recall all the product. The bromate came from a trace bromide impurity in the calcium chloride they'd added. The ozonation process to sterilise the water had converted the safe bromide into unsafe bromate.

They gave up after that....

18. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Same thing for Aquafina and Pepsi. At least it is the same product. I don't think pepsi had the uproar about it in europe.

The only reason I get bottled water is for a bottle to carry water around in. I refill it from drinking fountains.

Besides I drank tap water from Pittsburgh for 4 years, that comes out of the Mon... My system is tuned to run on impurities. :)

19. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Hmmm....I think CavemanUK may be on to something. :p

20. takao macrumors 68040

takao

you know why ? because pepsi is a underdog over here... pepsi is in the position where they have to sell as cheap as they can.. sometimes you can get 2x2liter bottles of pepsi for 1 euro and normaly it's about 0,89 for 2 liters of pepsi...coca cola sells 6-7 times more bottles (or even more) at nearly twice the price per bottle ....
    most people consider pepsi as "too sweet" ...me included i buy it from time to time(i'm a student at it is cheap...) but i have to mix it with water to make it drinkable...
    yeah and of course coca cola has already buyed one of the local market leaders of mineral water (not purified tap water ;) ) http://www.roemerquelle.at/

exactly...i'm doing the same thig..but from tiem to time i buy a bottle of coke for a week end ...

21. idkew macrumors 68020

idkew

where the concrete to dirt ratio is better

while diabetes can be cause by genetic reasons, the majority of new cases in fat ass-america is because people eat way too much sugar. diabetes is the new fat people's disease.

i can tell you if and when you will get diabetes: if you eat crap all the time and you throw your insulin all out of whack on a regular basis, you will get it, sooner or later.

22. ewinemiller macrumors 6502

23. pooky macrumors 6502

Anyone else notice that, while the site has a lot of "quotes" from scientists, very few of them are actually referenced? And not one of them is referenced to a peer-reviewed article? I'm very suspicious of scientists who don't believe in submitting their work for critical review. Any idiot can write a book and fill it with all the lies they want. And with no references on the quotes, M.D. might as well stand for Maitre 'd.

That being said, fake-sugar tastes gross.

24. ewinemiller macrumors 6502

You actually get used to it, takes about six weeks if you quit cold turkey. I can't drink soda with real suger in it anymore, tastes like i'm drinking syrup.

25. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

My understanding of it (but IANAC) is that of all the alcohols, ethyl is the only one that is "safe", and that's due to to the fantastic ability of the liver to break down the alcohol. Methyl alcohol is, IIRC, 5000x more toxic, and 50x less intoxicating than ethyl alcohol.

Agreed, the article is bull, but there is certainly some toxicity in aspartame, and I thought it was, in part because it can react to form formaldehyde. I don't remember the other cause specifically, but I do remember that the result of some other reaction can cause the formation of a neurotoxin.

I agree completely. :)