Is Omni Web really the quickest?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rdf8585, Nov 5, 2006.

1. rdf8585 macrumors regular

2. iHateWindows macrumors 6502

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

OmniWeb is WebKit-based. It is impossible for it to be dramatically faster than its WebKit-based cousins. When you consider the fact that OmniWeb has so much more going on such as checking bookmarks, etc., it is lucky to be as fast. Stuff like this is why you have to take a grain of salt with everything you read on the Internet.

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Omni didn't even believe those results :) It's a little faster than standard Safari because it's built on a newer WebKit build, but not that much faster!

5. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

hard to belive that Omni is capable of those spreads given that it is based on the same base.
    what is the source?

6. roadapple macrumors regular

It's on sale right now for $9.99 so I have been trying it out and it seems quicker then Camino and Safari, but not 6-7 times.

So many added features it will change the way you surf, not sure it I want that yet.

7. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

You're wrong. Omniweb uses a modified version of WebKit, so it's able to process websites faster than Safari is. Plus, it's updated more often than Safari is, so it's able to make use of new code that makes things faster.

8. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Oooh, thanks for reminding me about that blog post. I remember why I loved that article so much, and indeed The Omni Mouth in general.

:D

9. thestaton macrumors 6502

I tried Omni web recently for a week and left with a bad taste in my mouth. It didn't seem any faster than Firefox or Camino, its ad blocking is rubbish, and the fact you can't force every window to open in a tab is rubbish.

I always wonder away from Firefox but always come running back to safety.

10. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

That's a bit unfair it has got some nice features - preferences for each sites and a neat implementation of tabbed browsing.

I don't use it regularly, but if it was free I imagine I would.

11. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

99 mbytes memory allocation?

In my iMac g4, OmniWeb allocates 99 mbytes of physical RAM. Not really my idea of a decent browser.

12. ozontheroad macrumors 6502

ozontheroad

i tried Omni Web and uninstalled it 15 minutes later.

I found that it didn't anything that FireFox or Camino can't do ( and these are free )

I expect that a paid browser has to deliver a boost in performance and have extra features that make you say "wow I really need this"

Safari + Camino or FireFox is a good combo to have.

I've read some good reviews about Shiia but haven't been able to find it. Links appreciated.

13. glib macrumors member

Just tried omniweb thanks to this thread, and wow is it ever fast. It may be slightly heavier resource-wise, but it's a lot more responsive than firefox 2.0 was for me. Haven't had a problem displaying any pages so far. Adblocking seems to be fine for me. I'm not sure if I'm totally sold on the tab style, but thats about the only thing.

Not sure if it's worth my 10 bucks, but it's noticably faster than anything else out there for mac.

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Considering that it was the slowest browser, I'm surprised to see that OmniWeb is now the fastest on Mac OS X.

You can see the author's anathema to Firefox in the comments, so it looks more an opinion piece than a test. It doesn't mention a date but the version of Firefox is several months old, as is the version of Camino.

OmniWeb is one of the oldest browsers available, having come from NeXTStep (RacerX will be all over this) so it's good that it's getting some visibility. The trouble is that the results are pretty difficult to believe.

15. rdf8585 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm trying it as we speak. It's at least as quick as any other OSX browser and maybe slightly quicker. "Tab drawers" aside, I like it more than the other browsers, but paying for a browser?

16. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

People pay for Safari add-ons like PithHelmet and Saft, what's the diff?

17. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Especially this month when Omniweb is 9.95.

18. micvog macrumors 6502

micvog

Is this what you are looking for?

19. Project macrumors 68020

I switched to OmniWeb with the 5.5 release and I love it. By far the best browser I have ever used.

The "free" thing doesnt bother me either. Firefox is open source so different. Opera for most of its life cost money. Safari isnt free. Internet Explorer isnt free. At $9.99 i dont see what the big deal is.

20. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

I find it to be a bit faster but I don't like the tab style it uses. If you could customize that I'd be more likely to use it.

21. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

As is that Macintalk post. ---> "posted on Tuesday July 11, 2006". This is somewhat old news so I was surprised to see it pop up again. :)

I haven't used the absolute latest version of OmniWeb, but I still find it hard to believe after my past experiences with it that it could be the fastest OS X browser (although a re-test needs to be done with current versions, FF2.0 and all that). Still, it's not worth paying for over the alternatives.

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'm glad you could find the date.

I tried an OmniWeb beta after they'd switched to WebKit and it seemed just as slow as their own version but they're good developers so I'm sure they've worked through issues.

I'm interested to see Shiira when 2.0 is a final version. It's rather outrageous in contrast to other browsers. I use the current version whenever Firefox doesn't work correctly on a website, so I don't use it much, but it's a capable browser with some flair.