Is one meal a day doable?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kylera, Apr 13, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

kylera

There's a book that gripped Korea by storm some time ago -- https://www.sunmark.co.jp/eng/04/04/h-and-b_17.html -- and it claims that one meal a day is more than enough to make you healthy. This has lead to people going on diets and losing weight (mostly) as opposed to maintaining health. Koreans can be quite sensitive with dieting and maintaining weight, so you can bet such ideas will be better received here. What are your thoughts?

2. macrumors 65816

Who wants to go around all day being hungry? Because that's what will happen if you only eat one meal a day... :confused:

I believe in a good breakfast, a good lunch, an afternoon snack, and a dinner. Just make sure you are eating healthy stuff, with good variety, and you'll live long, and won't get fat.

Of course, not everyone has that luxury in this world...

3. macrumors regular

I prefer to sleep in so I skip breakfast, have a simple slice of bread or sandwich for lunch, if at all, then end the day with an incredibly sumptous dinner. Been my routine for the past decade. Now I feel sick if I have breakfast.

I take some light tidbits during the day, wafers, biscuits or egg rolls. Light stuff.

The sense of hunger keeps me awake and motivated during the day while the utter joy of dinner fills my soul.

4. macrumors 604

Jessica Lares

The days I don't eat more than once, I get terrible stomach pain. :eek: I wouldn't mind it though. I only eat/snack because I have to, and if it wasn't for that, I'd probably not eat for weeks.

I'm still overweight anyway considering that. :rolleyes:

The main problem for most people is that they try and eat one huge meal, and then not eat for the rest of the day.

5. macrumors regular

Also, I wouldn't call myself healthy but I'm not overweight.

6. macrumors 68000

Sydde

Last I heard, meals are a bad idea. Makes sense to me. Just do tapas all day long, a bit at a time.

7. macrumors 603

mrkramer

You could definitely survive on one meal a day, I can't imagine that it would be very healthy for you though.

8. macrumors G4

skunk

I have done one meal a day for decades. Bar of Galaxy in the morning and nothing else until 7 or 8 in the evening. Suits me. :)

9. macrumors 68030

.Andy

10. macrumors 65816

Feels abit awkward for me not eating 3 meals a day.

Have been taking steps to take in more fruits and vegetables in order to eat more healthily. :)

11. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Ahh... but which one before you tuck into that Jane Green novel?

[​IMG]

Calorie restricted diets are great for longevity but tough for most to pull off. I need to eat about 7 times a day in small portions. I guess I'm more of an antelope than a crocodile.

12. macrumors demi-god

Shrink

One meal a day works for me.

The meal starts at about 8:00AM and stops right before bed...:eek:

:rolleyes:

13. macrumors 6502a

Three meals a day is far too much for me. With that sort of regular eating, I slowly put on weight to the point were i'd be obese. That's me, but I'd expect others to have different requirements based on their habits, diet, age, physiology and physical activity.

I've only eaten once today. A plate of fried rice and I could only eat about a third of it as it was too salty for me. I'm not hungry now. I ate twice yesterday and once the day before.

However I had two cups of coffee and about 16mg of nicotine in the form of gum today. Both are appetite suppressants.

14. Guest

eric/

Intuition tells me that eating one meal per day, assuming that meal meant all the calories and nutrition you are supposed to have in one day still would have bad effects.

15. macrumors 6502a

itickings

Doable, sure thing.

Would I do it? Probably not.

Healthy is not about how often you eat. It is what you eat, how much you eat and how much you move. One, two, five or seventeen meals a day won't magically make everything alright.

I encountered someone a while ago who did some kind of one-meal-a-day stuff. Seemed to work well for that person, and hunger was not an issue. Not entirely sure the meal frequency is what made that person look healthy, though. I would rather attribute it to lots of hours in the gym in combination with knowledge about nutrition and so on...

16. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

17. macrumors 6502

I prefer a meal in the middle of the day and light snacking when hungry the rest of the time. If I have a 'normal' sized supper I wind up gaining weight.

When I was a kid I grew up with the traditional '3 meals a day and various snacks'. How I managed to eat that much for years I have no idea.

18. macrumors 6502

My sister who turned 50 this year eats once a day, has for years. She weights around 100 lbs. sometimes she struggles to stay above 100. She says she hates to eat.

It is hard when she visits because I need 5 small meals a day due to issues with my blood sugar.

There was a book out a few years ago that claimed fasting every other day was actually healthy. I forget the health benefits of fasting according to be book, but it sounded fairly plausible.

19. Guest

eric/

Doubtful. Only possible way would be just because people eat too much, so fasting keeps that from happening.

We're creatures that require food everyday.

20. macrumors 68040

If you sit on your ass all day, then one meal a day with decent calorie intake is probably better for you.

Now if your active, then obviously you will burn calories much quicker and one meal a day will not cut it.

Your diet should depend on your lifestyle.

21. JBazz, Apr 14, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2013

macrumors 6502

Oh really, got a source for that?

There are many articles written about intermittent fasting and it's health benefits. Here are a couple...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-19112549
    http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-eat10dec10,1,883044.story?coll=la-headlines-healthI

I believe we are not meant to eat daily. Our bodies are extremely efficient at storing fat. We are more like animals who binge when food is plentiful and burn our fat supplies when it is not. Our problem is that it is always plentiful. We are constantly storing.

22. Guest

eric/

Yeah, real life. Except for crazy people, everybody eats every day unless for some crazy reason they are incapable of eating. Hospitals feed people every day. Why on earth would anybody think that eating every other day, or whatever is a healthy, sustainable way of life?

23. macrumors 6502

Because food means more in our society than just energy to sustain life.

24. Guest

eric/

Sure. But that doesn't mean that eating once a day, or eating every other day is something that humans should be doing.

25. macrumors 68000

hulugu

We are constantly storing because we eat more calories than we need in a given day and we do this consistently. Fasting can help this process by giving our metabolism time to deal with those excess calories and the change in blood sugars.

One thing to keep in mind is that research indicates that people are best off eating lean meats (though this appears to be less helpful than original thought), vegetables and whole grains.

The other thing to note is there are differences between individual metabolisms, and as the LA Times article notes, there are differences between men and women.