Is online banking with iPhone secure and safe ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cudo, Jul 17, 2008.

1. macrumors regular

is it ? can i use onlibe banking with no worries ?

cheers:cool:

2. macrumors 68040

bradl

Only as safe as a web browser with SSL capability, as that's what you'll be using anyway. Why should it be any different?

BL.

3. macrumors 6502

I would say yes: it runs on the same secured connection as the one on your computer. So my guess is that it would be just as safe as accessing Online Banking from your computer. Thoughts?

4. macrumors 6502a

Well I have been using it for my online banking since august of 07 and I have had any problems. I just log into the regular web site (not the mobile one) and its been fine so far.

5. macrumors 603

scaredpoet

If you see this on the address bar, then you're in good shape:

[​IMG]

6. macrumors 6502

Also for more security, make sure you use a closed wi-fi network so others can't get one. Such as one you have at home.

7. macrumors regular

Yes, should be fine. just be a little cautious at wifi hotspots, when the Lock icon isn't their. I have been told people can see what your googling.

8. macrumors 6502

out of curiosity, do any of you guys shop on your iphone? Would having to enter you credit card information on an iphone be just as safe as your computer?

9. macrumors regular

I do. I use Amazon's page built for iphone, however, I have me information stored on my Amazon account, and just sign in on the iphone, and purchase stuff.

10. macrumors 68040

bradl

Once again, if you're using WiFi, it's the same as using a laptop. Think of your iPhone like that. web browser, secure site, secured transaction. If it isn't, or you don't think or feel it's secure enough for you, don't.

Otherwise, you should be fine.

BL.

11. thread starter macrumors regular

thank you all for super-fast response :cool:

12. macrumors newbie

13. macrumors newbie

I stay extra safe by using my prepaid debit card, it comes with purchase protection like with a normal credit card, but i don't owe the bank anthing (unlike with a cc) also, because it only has money on it that i put there, i can limit the amount of funds so if something were to happen to my details there wouldn't be much money on there for fraudsters to spend. Other than that and sticking to secure browsing i don't think there's much else you can do is there?

14. macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yes.

15. macrumors newbie

Such as?

16. macrumors 68000

roxxette

Im in DR but i use the US app store and i have seen several Bank apps such as bank of america etc , i will say they should have some sort of security using those i guess ? Why not call your bank and ask about it.

17. macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

No. It's better to use your web browser on OS X.

Because mobile apps mostly have security vulnerabilities and it's less well-proven than traditional desktop. Mobile app development is something new for the pros, so there are more vulnerabilities.

One example:

source: http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/11/bank-apps-for-phones

data loss and privacy violation is a bigger problem on iOS than OS X.

18. macrumors newbie

I am using HDFC’s iOS banking app. I use it for transferring funds and also paying my utility bills. Till now I haven't faced any problem and I think it is as secure as any online banking.

19. macrumors 68030

dictoresno

are you going to bump every 2 year old iphone banking thread this morning?