Is OS9 gone forever? HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by whoooaaahhhh, Apr 18, 2006.

1. whoooaaahhhh macrumors member

Mar 25, 2006
    Pasadena, CA
    So I know this is an ironic question considering we're on the eve of another big switch to intel OS based stuff (eventually), but does anyone know where I can get OS 9? I've been looking at torrent sites (simply because I cannot find a single place to buy it) and they are pretty much all down! Let me know if yall have any advice on where to buy/get OS 9. (Pref. 9.2.2 or 9.2.1) :D
  2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

Apr 16, 2005
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    Classic isn't supported on the Intel Macs just for your information. You could search on eBay for some people selling OS 9.
  3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    I have a 9.2.1 CD and I've been trying to sell it for ages. It'll only work on PowerPC Macs or in a possible emulator.
  4. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

Dec 12, 2002
    eBay is good, I've seen MegaMacs advertise carrying 'old' Mac OS discs. (Looks like $50 for 9.2.) Or, as I suggested in another thread, try your local Apple Store or Authorized Apple Reseller. (It is a commercial product, and legally can't be shared, so I won't give you any suggestions on that route.)

Unfortunately, I only have one 9.2.1 disc, otherwise I'd offer to sell you one cheap. (And 9.2.2 discs only work on the type of machine they came with. The last 'general install' disc was 9.2.1. Likewise, many models released after 9.2.1 require their special 9.2.2 install disc. Finally, OS X-only machines require their 'restore' disc's "Reinstall Classic Environment" option.)

edit: Or you can telephone the Apple Store (900 150 503 in Spain, 1-800-692-7753 "1-800-MY-APPLE" in the U.S.) and get it ($99 in the U.S. store, not sure how much in the European store.)

And the OP never mentioned wanting to run it on an Intel Mac, just that the request was ironic in light of the switch.
  5. whooleytoo macrumors 603

Aug 2, 2002
    Cork, Ireland.
    Imagine going back in time and telling a Mac user in (say) 2000, that in 2006 new Macs will run Windows, but not OS9. Weep! ;)
  6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

May 18, 2004
    Other World Computing will sell you either 9.1 or 9.2
  7. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2005
    It works in that program called sheep something.
  8. revenuee macrumors 68020

Sep 13, 2003
    A place where i am supreme emporer
    wow ... that's so true ... i switched in 1999 --- swore i would never run windows again.

now i'm patiently waiting to blow my money on a new MBP and look forward to dual booting with windows XP.

But i think might just that money on a motorcycle (maybe i can somehow swing both)
  9. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Jan 8, 2004
    OS9 works in sheepshaver, but only version 9.0.4. If you really want to run OS9 you might be better off buying an old mac off ebay.