Is OSX optimized MBP's video card driver?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MacSyn, Mar 13, 2006.

1. MacSyn macrumors regular

So, I received my MBP 2.0 4 days ago, happy with it. But have a video problem: Whenever I play rmvb files (Real Media Player), it looks like it doesn't run at 30fps but it (same file) runs just fine and smooth on my Dell. I went to ATI web site searched for X1600 driver for OS X, no luck. Is OS X built in driver optimized?

Also I have a lot of DVD movies which are not region 1 encoded. Any possiblity can I watch them with Front Row? It is possible to mount those movies into iso images to a virtual drive (or something like that)? If it's yes, how?

Last question: Why OS X can't write on NTFS? Is it because of copyright issue?

Some thoughts about my MBP 2.0: It does whine on and off, strange. No dead pixel, great. And Super drive is locked to region 1, lousy.

2. menziep macrumors 6502a

Well For Real Player Is it a Univirsal binery (if not then thats the problem)

3. MacSyn thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think Real Player makes UB version yet. You think that caused the problem?

4. tomacintosh macrumors regular

I think I have the fix for this

Go into Realplayer Prefs > Playback then untick the overlay optimizations at the bottom

5. MacSyn thread starter macrumors regular

6. NeuronBasher macrumors regular

Yes, I suspect that is more than likely the cause of your woes. I don't have the RealPlayer installed (and don't want it) so I can't test it on my MBP, but that would be my guess.

7. MacSyn thread starter macrumors regular

Oh well, I guess I'll just to have endure it until the UB is released. What about my other question? Anyone knows the solution?

8. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Mac The Ripper can change region codes, but I don't know if it can open a previously-ripped file to do it....

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

That' is one of the world's great unsolved mysteries. Apple got the right to use all Windows technologies (and Microsoft got their hands on Apple IP) in a settlement several years ago. Apple elected to use the same half-baked NTFS implementation circulating through the BSD and Linux world and not a complete implementation.

Now that Apple have more or less acknowledged that Darwin was a sham (by actions more than words), maybe they will feel free to throw in a complete implementation and leave it out of the public source code pool.

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Can't OSX mount/read NTFS volumes but not write to them? I'm not sure, but I remember reading that somewhere....

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It can read, and it can overwrite existing files (but not change their sizes). That's the half-baked public implementation I was referring to :)

12. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder