Is OSX the greatest OS ever?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jesusphreak, May 30, 2006.

1. jesusphreak macrumors member

May 24, 2006
    Obviously it has he advantage of technology and experience over say Windows 95, but overall for its time, is OSX the greatest OS ever in light of asthetics, funtionality, etc?

And we've already seen that MS has had to go from XP to Vista in OSX's lifetime, just how long will OSX last?
  2. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    OS X is the OS that saved me from the dark side so yes for me it is the best OS in the world................. for now:)

OS X will last until the next big thing
  3. epochblue macrumors 68000

Aug 12, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I don't necessarily think this is the best place to ask such a question; any answer you get is bound to be (at least on some level) biased....these are Mac forums after all.

I also think a question like that is fairly loaded...and I don't think there's a correct answer. It's a good OS, it's my OS of choice, but greatest ever?

So, I'll side with liketom on this my opinion, it's the best thing going. But it can very easily be unseated by just about anything that comes along. 'Tis the nature of the beast.
  4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

"Summons legions of Mac Zealots to thump the bible of Mac OS X"

Honestly though its hard to say, I liked some of the older OS, 7 and 8, they ran ok and were fast for their time. I love 10.4, but its not as snappy as I would like it to be. It really depends on perspective.
  5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

Mar 4, 2006
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    Vista is still Windows, though. OS X has had it's own releases, like Panther and Tiger. These are equally major revisions, it's just that Apple, in their infinite wisdom, release more frequent, incremental operating system updates rather than taking five or six years trying to reinvent the wheel.
  6. cait-sith macrumors regular

Apr 6, 2004
    It's a good operating system, but should really ask if it's the best OS suited for some purpose.

For an operating system with decent reliability and a good set of programming tools, MacOS and most of the free Unix-like operating systems (Linux, FreeBSD, and friends) are pretty even. But add in user-friendliness as a variable and MacOS takes the cake. Graphic designers and anyone in media will probably say "MacOS", but that's more because the tools are designed first for Macs, so they "feel" better on a Mac. For running memory-hungry research applications, I've found Solaris to be the best operating system out there. FreeBSD makes the best web serving environment for high-load sites.

I think the first Mac OS and PARC were very influential operating systems. The very first releases of UNIX also changed the way people wrote software -- e.g., in C.
  7. RacerX macrumors 65832

Aug 2, 2004
    The last decent operating system that Microsoft released was Windows NT 4.0 back in 1996... after that we can pretty much put any half way decent OS over Microsoft's offerings. Literally the worse thing that has ever happened to a Microsoft OS is Microsoft itself. Microsoft has made choices with their OS (and all their software for that matter) designed to lock out competition rather than to improve what they have.

For them it is easier to lock people into bad software than to attempt to make good (or great) software to compete toe to toe with other software.

Beyond that, it really depends on what people want, need or like in an operating system.

I think you are assuming that Mac OS X is a single version.

The name Mac OS X is like the name Windows NT. Mac OS X v10.0 can be thought of as a single release. Mac OS X v10.1 was an upgrade to 10.0. Mac OS X v10.2, 10.3 and 10.4 have all been single releases.

Do you consider Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows 2003 to be one OS? You do know that Windows 2000 is actually Windows NT 5.0, Windows XP is actually Windows NT 5.1 and that Windows 2003 is actually Windows NT 5.2. And Windows Vista is Windows NT 6.0.

How long will Windows NT last? It is already been around for 13 years. :eek:
  8. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    I am a big fan of OS X, but I must say I do at times wonder what it'd be like had Be, Inc. been bought and BeOS had become the underlying OS. It had some wicked good stuff in it way back in 1996. So, yeah, I like OS X the best now but do spend time wondering how things might have been....
  9. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Too long. :)
  10. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    OS X is great but i don't know about the greatest...OS7 was really nice and theres always those linux releases that do have some kick as well.

11. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    Like cait-sith said, that's sort of like asking "Is xxx the greatest vehicle ever?" There is no "correct" answer to that question, because (like with family cars, sports cars, trucks, jets, and space shuttles) there are so many different purposes for an OS that there isn't, and I don't think ever will be almost by nature, a "best" one for every purpose.

OSX does combine a lot of good stuff--it offers a nice interface and ease of use for the very inexperienced, it offers a reasonable amount of GUI and under-the-hood power for creative professionals, and it offers a pretty solid level of geeky goodness for the geek. And in the "production" arena it has the underlying server architecture (in Server flavor, of course) to handle most things there, with the added bonus of some fairly easy to learn admin tools. Not as much handholding (or bells and whistles) as Win 2003 server offers, but much simpler.

Anyway, I would say that it is almost certainly the "greatest" consumer OS extant, but I won't go any farther than that. It's got a good balance, but in most areas there's probably another OS that can best it, at least in theory if not in practice (for example, the BeOS has some sweet data management features for the professional that OSX doesn't offer, but in practice there are no major apps available for it).

Also, I expect OSX, or at least its core, to be around for quite some time--after all, it's essentially a souped-up Unix variant, and various flavors of Unix have been around since the 70s. It's a mature, tested foundation on which to build. Still getting the job done, albeit in a barely recognizeable form for someone who'd used a Unix in 1980.
  12. ifjake macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2004
  13. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    That a subjective question because it really depends on what the application is. Linux went to Mars onboard the rover does that make it the best OS ever? How many os's can say they went to Mars? My point is it depends on the application. You probably want to ask which is the Best OS for home users because which OS is best to run a nuclear reactor is probably a different answer.

I will say however, most of the kernel is based on BSD which was already existing; however the GUI combined with a stable unix plateform makes a pretty great OS in turns of functionality and ease of use. I have never supported Macs professionally, but I imagine Windows probably has a few bells in whistle in terms of mass deployment that are probably easier to do than OS X. Considering actual user though I don't think it would be too terrible to troubleshoot OS X over the phone.
  14. Pancake macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2003
    Anchorage, Alaska
    I liked Mac System 6. The OS and my programs on a single floppy.
  15. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

Aug 2, 2005
    On an island in Maine
    I think 10.3 was one of the best operating systems I have ever used. 10.4 has some nice new features but is generally more buggy (also new features like spotlight are still rough around the edges). I for one, don't yearn for the days of System 6 and booting from floppies, but that may be just me.

However, while I am a Mac junkie, I also think that OS X has a long way to go. For one thing, it is very bloated. There are other Unix-based distros that don't require a DVD for install. Also, OSX has some of the worst handling of permissions of any Unix-based operating system. I personally feel that they need to stop trying to make widgets make the screen ripple and focus on going back to what OS X was touted to be, a rock-solid operating system. I think the function has gotten lost a little in all the flash.
  16. matthew24 macrumors 6502

May 30, 2002
    On the desktop, it sure is. I am not sure about the server side (Solaris/AIX).

I also believe that the way OSX is advancing is at the highest pace possible, it is a good thing to know that Apple is never satisfied with the status quo and is always on the verge of ironing out any shortcomings.

Comment on baleensavage: OSX is huge but that does not mean is is bloated, in my opinion it is not.
  17. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    What was wrong with Windows 2000? Win2K was the best version of Windows I ever used, it took a long time for XP to reach the level of stabilty it had. I had a Win2K laptop for 3 years and it never crashed and I never once had to reinstall the OS.
  18. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    I agree. Windows 2000 was the best version of Windows.

NT4 was a complete stinking pile. No USB support, PCMCIA CardWizards, and having to reboot every time you changed anything, even down to the IP address of your DNS server. Add to that one of the worst TCP/IP implementations in recent memory, which meant the entire computer would hang if a SYN-ACK packet wasn't received in the right period of time, and you had an absolute nightmare both to use and support.

Windows 2000 fixed all of the above, but had only just started down the 9-clicks-to-do-one-job GUI road that makes XP such a complete unusable mess for getting anything done. Microsoft would have been better off leaving the 2K interface alone and just adding the extra features of XP.

As for Vista, how can the OP say that Microsoft has had to go to it in OSX's lifetime? Vista is still at least six months away. Until I use it in shipping form, I'll pass on making comments.
  19. G99 macrumors 6502

Mar 8, 2006
    2000 was very good. *remembers past windows days* 98 was also alright, better than XP, if you ask me.
  20. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I think his point was all subsequent (decent) Microsoft OSes were just built on the NT4 kernel. Plus, he's a little bit Old Skool. :)
  21. Core Trio macrumors regular

Core Trio

May 16, 2006
    New Jersey
  22. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I can't stand Spotlight. It's just not useful for me. I can't even search inside /Library or /System.. I have to fall back on using good old Cmd-F like the old days. So Spotlight is a bust for me.
  23. blitzkrieg79 macrumors 6502

Mar 9, 2005
    currently USA
    While OS X (10.4), in my opinion, is the best OS right now, the best OS for it's time was definately Amiga Workbench 1.x (later 2.x) in the mid 1980s. It represented the largest leap in OS technology that I can remember. Heck, the speech synthesizer in that thing is still better than what Windows has to offer today lol
  24. Max on Macs macrumors 6502

Max on Macs

Feb 25, 2006
    Milton Keynes, UK
    No, Solaris is the best in terms of technology, stability and performance. OS X is just the most friendly and best to use and one of the best for security technology and performance, which is why I use it for everything exccept my web servers (for which I use Solaris).