Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kiwi-in-uk

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2004
AU
Have a look on the Apple page here. It shows the new features. They work pretty much as described. Only you can decide whether they represent value (they did for me).

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
Pages 2 seems to have lots of cool features that 1 should have had, but that only makes it worth the upgrade if you're gonna use it for anything other than strictly word processing.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Chaszmyr said:
Pages 2 seems to have lots of cool features that 1 should have had, but that only makes it worth the upgrade if you're gonna use it for anything other than strictly word processing.

You mean, like mail merge, document annotations, calculating tables, and charts?

Personally, I'm a little disappointed in the v2 update, but to say that the added features are only of value to people who are using Pages for something other that word processing is sort of misleading.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
pimentoLoaf said:
I use it primarily as a low-cost desktop publisher for MS Office documents.

If you need to use and exchange Word documents, Pages is a poor choice. In addition, I think version 2 represents a minor upgrade from version 1 at best. And due to flawed font smoothing implemention (it always defaults to CRT-optimized Standard no matter what), text look way too fuzzy on my iMac's LCD. I cannot use Pages for extended period without eye fatigue.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
NeuronBasher said:
You mean except for Mac:Word, right? :)

Yeah, I guess, but I'm not sure that was the point being made. Still, even using Word for everything is not the perfect solution to document exchange unless you stick strictly to the basic fonts that you know will be installed on all PCs and Macs. Otherwise, your document exchange is going to far from perfect, even Word to Word.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
IJ Reilly said:
Why? It works as well as anything I've tried for this task.

Not in my experience. I am not talking about just fonts (which Office 2004's compatibility feature will tell you), but anything but basic details, such as tables, revision tracking, table of contents, references/footnotes, etc. Maybe for very casual usage, such things won't matter, but I prefer to keep things as compatible as possible.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
nutmac said:
Not in my experience. I am not talking about just fonts (which Office 2004's compatibility feature will tell you), but anything but basic details, such as tables, revision tracking, table of contents, references/footnotes, etc. Maybe for very casual usage, such things won't matter, but I prefer to keep things as compatible as possible.

Then you'd better really like Word, because you're stuck with it. Forever.

Not that Pages isn't able do some of the things you seem to believe it can't. I use it on a far more than "casual" basis for opening and exporting Word documents. No complaints yet.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
I've had it since it was released, haven't even opened yet. Just bought it for keynote. Probably not though.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
IJ Reilly said:
Then you'd better really like Word, because you're stuck with it. Forever.

Not that Pages isn't able do some of the things you seem to believe it can't. I use it on a far more than "casual" basis for opening and exporting Word documents. No complaints yet.

I don't like Word but what else can I do? Just about everyone I know uses Word. (Yes, I know OpenOffice can be an acceptable alternative, but I rather use the real thing than a me-too-but-I-am-free product.)

The last time I checked, Pages is also proprietary. While I would rather be stuck with non-Microsoft software, being stuck with Pages will leave me with fewer people to exchange documents with... not to mention worse eyesight due to poor font smoothing implementation.

asherman13

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2005
SF Bay Area, CA
I'm in a similar boat. Personally, I like Pages and Keynote, and since I can get iWork '06 with a student discount when I'm going to be getting it, I'm gonna get it, since it will cost less, and I like it.

I played around with the new version at MWSF and I must say that the new features are nice (especially when you're doing lab writeups for AP Physics).

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
nutmac said:
I don't like Word but what else can I do? Just about everyone I know uses Word. (Yes, I know OpenOffice can be an acceptable alternative, but I rather use the real thing than a me-too-but-I-am-free product.)

The last time I checked, Pages is also proprietary. While I would rather be stuck with non-Microsoft software, being stuck with Pages will leave me with fewer people to exchange documents with... not to mention worse eyesight due to poor font smoothing implementation.

I don't have this font-smoothing issue, so I'm not sure I understand this problem. Maybe you should try a different font?

Pages has several exporting and importing options, including Word, RTF and PDF. I open and export Word documents in and out of Pages all the time. There's no reason to believe that OpenOffice or any other Word/Office clone will translate Word documents more accurately than Pages. Don't let appearances fool you -- nobody is able to use Microsoft's native file formats except for Microsoft.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
IJ Reilly said:
I don't have this font-smoothing issue, so I'm not sure I understand this problem. Maybe you should try a different font?

Pages has several exporting and importing options, including Word, RTF and PDF. I open and export Word documents in and out of Pages all the time. There's no reason to believe that OpenOffice or any other Word/Office clone will translate Word documents more accurately than Pages. Don't let appearances fool you -- nobody is able to use Microsoft's native file formats except for Microsoft.

It is well documented that Pages (both versions 1 and 2) will always default to "Standard - best for CRT" font smoothing style no matter what. Look at the attachment (Pages 2 vs. TextEdit) and see for yourself. Above is Pages 2. Below is TextEdit. (Michael Tsai on Font Smoothing in Pages)

As for whether Pages does a sufficient job importing Word, Word documents that I get just look very different on Pages with a series of "Import Warnings" (can't import this, can't import that). I wish they don't but the truth doesn't lie. Maybe they are good enough for some, but not to me.

Attachments

• pages_font.png
    pages_font.png
    21.1 KB · Views: 75

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
nutmac said:
It is well documented that Pages (both versions 1 and 2) will always default to "Standard - best for CRT" font smoothing style no matter what. Look at the attachment (Pages 2 vs. TextEdit) and see for yourself. Above is Pages 2. Below is TextEdit. (Michael Tsai on Font Smoothing in Pages)

Apparently this is an issue for many applications, not just Pages. Personally, I've never noticed it, but I can see from your demonstration that it can be noticed.

nutmac said:
As for whether Pages does a sufficient job importing Word, Word documents that I get just look very different on Pages with a series of "Import Warnings" (can't import this, can't import that). I wish they don't but the truth doesn't lie. Maybe they are good enough for some, but not to me.

Sure, it depends on what you trying to accomplish. If it's document collaboration (as opposed to sharing), then you're probably going to need Word, if only for the track revisions feature (which I dislike, but I know some people feel otherwise). But in reality, the only way to ensure perfect compatibility between the sharing parties is to use the same versions of Word and only basic fonts.

Fortunately, I don't have to write this way very often. I produce free-standing reports which I export to PDF for my clients. If they need the text of our report for inclusion in a larger report, I give them a .doc export file. They never know it wasn't prepared in Word, and I don't tell them. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.