IS Panther faster? Ex.: jpeg previews in Finder very slow

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by apfimguy, Dec 4, 2003.

1. apfimguy macrumors newbie

I upgraded my 15TiBook to 10.3.1 and clean installed the same on a single G5; Where is the claimed speed increase? EXAMPLE: in Jag, I used to scroll through picture folders in the Finder and see EACH picture (~600K size) 'fly' by while holding down an arrow key. This may be a picky point, but was a GREAT show of speed in OSX. In Panther, it takes ~one second to show a jpeg preview! - forget scrolling. Is this an algorythm left out in the new Finder, I can't imagine it's the OS? (b.t.w. it does this on both computers mentioned above). Any ideas welcomed how to fix this, or if your experiences are different.

2. j33pd0g macrumors 6502

I never really used that feature before, so I guess my experiences are not that different.
    I really don't use column view, but in Panther I can live with 1 sec. of preview render time.
    Anytime you think Panther is slow, start up a mac running 8.6 and use that for the day... then you'll remember what slow really was.

3. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

i've noticed that too

I wonder if they'll be able to patch panther to allow faster previewing of the pictures. That is definitely something I miss from Jaguar.

However, overall my system is faster. Faster boot up, shut down, launching apps, closing windows, opening windows. Pretty much everything except the picture preview issue.

4. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

That seems odd though. I admit that I never really used that feature but I just tried it in Jaguar and it's pretty neat. So did they start completely from scratch with the new finder, rather than add to and refine the code? If so, why didn't they make it cocoa?

5. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Probabaly because the people/persons working on the finder like the idea of keeping the "old" code alive in OSX...who really knows? :confused:

I do beleive though, if they re-did it in cocoa, it would probably take less than a week to re-do averything (if they use experienced cocoa developers), a lot of code could just be taken from ther iApps and mixed in for example...I think though, more than anything, the finder needs more multi-threading...

Why the finder is such a low priority at apple I'll never know...because right now, while the finder is better than before, its still can't even maximize the window properly!!! :mad:

6. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

Amusingly enough this is very true in many regards. There is still quite a lot of dislike in many areas for Apple's new stuff.

The Finder is still Carbon although is has more aspects of Cocoa in it, but nothing too extraidonary. With something the scale of the Finder (~1.2million lines of code) it would take even a dozen highly experienced Cocoa developers many months of hard work.

I agree, the Finder does need more multithreading, one of the great points about Cocoa.

One thing you will notice about the new Finder is that many aspects were changed unnecessarily, for example the original posters comment on the images. I personally have no idea why they did this, but I don't work at Apple so they may have had their reasons.

7. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

Is it really that big? That would explain the slowness. I have a feeling though, a lot of those lines of code (functionality) are replicated throughout the Cocoa frameworks, and the abilty to almost just "plug-in" objects from other sources, is a great value in speeding up app development, an example would be using the image previewing from iPhoto...something like that could just be as simple as a drag-and-drop to add to a new finder...there really is a rich amount of functionality that is all over OSX in the form of iapps and others that could esasily be put together and create a really neat and functional finder...oh well...

The thing is though, I don't care if its say, carbon underneath, I just don't want to be able to tell if it is...right now, the finder reeks of it...

8. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Does this mean we'll see yet another new finder in 10.4? Or will we be stuck with this one until until 10.6?

The panther finder is still better than Jaguar, right? I'll know for sure tomorrow when Panther finally arrives!