Is Panther "regionalised" (UK vs US)?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by simoneves, Dec 22, 2003.

1. simoneves macrumors member

If I buy a copy of Panther in the US will it work on a UK machine (ie. with a British English keyboard etc.).

I'll buy the British version if I have to, but I'd save about $50 buying it here...

In other words, is the OS the same all over the world, and configurable for whatever country you live in, or are different versions sold in different countries.

2. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Things are a little different between locations. For example, it's "Trash" in the U.S. but "Rubbish" in Australia. I don't think you'll run into any problems running a U.S. version on your computer in the U.K.

3. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Its the same OS worldwide, its got all the language installers on it. Its got 3 different versions of english. (English American, English Australian, English UK)

And BTW, Daveman Deluxe, the Trash in Australia is still just Trash just like it is around the world.

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I heard the the Trash is called Wastebasket in the UK. Can anyone confirm/disconfirm (what's the opposite of confirm?) this?

5. simoneves thread starter macrumors member

Thank you!

All good news.

I don't mind at all whether it says "Trash" or "Wastebasket" as long as it can handle a British keyboard, ie. one where Shift-3 gives you a pound (Sterling) sign, not a #...

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I think whether you get a # or a £ depends on the actual keyboard, rather than the software. I could be wrong though. if you do get stuck with Shift-3 giving you #, you can use Option-3 to display £, although it would take some getting used to.

There are other differences too, eg. apparently Shift-2 is " on a UK keyboard (it's @ on a US one).

7. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

you can buy the oss x cds of any country. it works.

my friend bought his 10.2 cds in japan, and there is one weirdness - he gets still (using system in english) the finder window titles in japanese chars. i think japanese is an exception though.

you specify when you have installed the system, what keyboard layout it uses.

uk/us/australia - no worries. all will be fine for you.

8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Yep.

I had a British version of Mac OS 8.5.1 installed on a B&W G3 some time ago, and the "Trash" was indeed called "Wastebasket". I loved that name. :)

9. Declan macrumors member

I am in the UK, and my panther says Trash, everything is the same as US..

10. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I think the regional thing in Mac OS X is just the currency, address book format, measurement units and so on (apart from the other languages, ofcourse).
    Nothing as subtle as "Trash" opposed to "Wastebasket", I think.
    The spelling checker is UK or US or AUS, so probably these default settings change with the regional settings.

Which one is it: ColorSync Utility, or ColourSync Utility?

11. Declan macrumors member

Its Colorsync in UK, UK spell checker is very US orientated.

12. Felix_the_Mac macrumors member

I think that would be 'refute'. :)