Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
from what i have read photoshop cs is considrably slower than 7 so whats the point in upgradeing? whould yoy recommend shelling out for extra features?

webdesignlab

macrumors newbie
Mar 19, 2004
Hector said:
from what i have read photoshop cs is considrably slower than 7 so whats the point in upgradeing? whould yoy recommend shelling out for extra features?

well.....

photoshop cs (8) has the ability to work with all images in 16 bit, this increases the output quality of the final prints.... whereas all other versions worked in 8bit

that is a huge diffrence....

one thing im not overly happy with is they have done away with the dock for all the nav windows....i really liked that in PS7

just my 99p's worth

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Beware, strong political statement ahead...

I have Photoshop 7, and currently don't plan to ever upgrade again. In Photoshop CS they've incorporated some third-party code that intentionally removes functionality. It's probably functionality you don't need; but a precedent has been set and I don't think we should just accept it.

Apparently some banks are not happy with the high quality available in current scanning and printing current technology. They don't want you to be able to scan images of money - something that actually is perfectly legal, since you can freely use scaled images of real currency in print articles, advertising, etc. So these banks came up with code that recognizes images of money, and will not allow you to scan them.

Why should this matter? Look at our current political climate. What if elements on the political left don't want you photocopying (or doing OCR on) anything containing certain words that they deem to constitute "hate speech"? What if elements on the political right decide you shouldn't be able to scan words or images that are "anti-American" or "anti-Freedom"? What if they already have? Do you want these decisions to be made for you?

If you're not already aware of this, check out the results of this Google search for further reading

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
no upgrading for me

damn my hatred for corel photopaint otherwise i'd switch

jihad the movie

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2003
Smugtown, NY
Unless you need 16 bit...

Stay with 7, it is fast, and does everything else you need. I went from Photoshop 3.5 to 7, so I don't think upgrading to Photoshop CS is really worth it unless you absolutely need 16 bit.

legion

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2003
Westside guy said:
Beware, strong political statement ahead...

I have Photoshop 7, and currently don't plan to ever upgrade again. In Photoshop CS they've incorporated some third-party code that intentionally removes functionality. It's probably functionality you don't need; but a precedent has been set and I don't think we should just accept it.

Apparently some banks are not happy with the high quality available in current scanning and printing current technology. They don't want you to be able to scan images of money - something that actually is perfectly legal, since you can freely use scaled images of real currency in print articles, advertising, etc. So these banks came up with code that recognizes images of money, and will not allow you to scan them.

Why should this matter? Look at our current political climate. What if elements on the political left don't want you photocopying (or doing OCR on) anything containing certain words that they deem to constitute "hate speech"? What if elements on the political right decide you shouldn't be able to scan words or images that are "anti-American" or "anti-Freedom"? What if they already have? Do you want these decisions to be made for you?

If you're not already aware of this, check out the results of this Google search for further reading

There's a fix for this already out there. I wouldn't upgrade to PS CS until I knew I could get rid of this restriction and there's a easy little hack already available out on the web. Do a little search and you'll find it. (It's zipped with a sample off-scale--so it's legal-- US currency image to test if the functionality has been restored)

SumDumGuy

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2002
Loserville
I also, have decided not to upgrade to CS because of the fact that I cannot scan currency.

I occassionally create coupons which look like US currency for clients. I scan the appropriate denomination, replace the picture of the President with "Crazy Joe" from Crazy Joe's Used Cars or whatever, and basically use the original scanned image as a starting point for what will eventually bear little serious resemblance to actual US currency.

Now Adobe decides that I can't use the de-facto standard image editing application for this, because I "might" be a counterfeiter? I'll stick with Photoshop 7 thank you. CS might deter some "at-home" counterfeiters working at home with their ink-jet printer, but it won't effect the real criminals at all. It just hurts the honest user such as myself. And like Westside Guy noted, where will it end? Today, I can't scan currency. Tomorrow what other freedoms may be taken away?

Kid Red

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2001
I haven't upgraded yet because I feel there was not enough features to make the upgrade worthwhile. 2 people I know who did upgrade have cursed about CS and downgraded back to 7. Both were PC users, so you figure if they are unhappy, something must be really wrong with CS.

CS seems more like a .5 free upgrade then a new "CS" or "8" moniker.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2000
as stated above, unless you really need the new features, which i'm not sure called for a full-point upgrade, stick with 7. But, you know, they are both great programs and i'm sure you'd be happy with both. I'd say: save your money.

briankonar

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2004
although i could care less about not being able to scan currency, the fact the they actually incorporated code on behalf of the U.S. government makes me say no to it, and i'm looking for alternatives to Adobe products now because of this. As far as I'm aware, nobody feels CS is worth the upgrade (neither does my school, illinois institute of art).

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
We've decided not to upgrade, primarily because we felt the new features were not compelling enough to us at this point.

Thirteenva

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Westside guy said:

While your previous points were correct and valid. I feel you're really reaching here. I view the scanning of currency as a whole different argument than the one you elude to here. The currency issue constitutes fair use while you're final paragraph rant concerns issues of free speech.

And in rebuttal to your final paragraph. If free speech was to be attacked why would they start with photoshop which is small potatoes compared to what you are able to say and do on the internet as a whole...

While i hate political debates as they never come to a healthy conclusion, i felt the need to reply to allow a second opinion to be heard on the subject. I do not wish to start a flame war.

adamjay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2004
Indianapolis
the Adobe CS applications can take advantage of the Powermac G5's 64-bit architecture. if you aren't running a G5, i would say it is absolutely not worth the money. i love Photoshop 7.0 and wouldnt change anything about it. (well, maybe make it free)

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
If you have to ask if you need to upgrade then you don't need to upgrade. The person who needs Photoshop CS knows who he is.

Of course I'm talking about people who actually buy the software. If you're doing the Limewire Evaluation method then get whatever version you can find. For 95% of users, Photoshop Elements is more than adequate and it's under $100.

Grokgod

macrumors 6502a
You have to be kidding!

You can't scan money in SHOP?
Who cares!

If I hadnt had read this here, I would have NEVER known!
Very few professionals use Photoshop for scanning money other than real
thieves.
Besides if you really need to scan money for some obscure reason, use another scanning program, no biggie!

This is not a free speech issue.

The new CS is great in my opinion, and worth it, especially if your on a G5!
Everyone else RELAX! Dont sweat it.

Soire

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2004
Garden State
I can't believe this isn't a bigger issue. You're telling me the US government helped to put in new code to STOP USERS from doing something? Unless it's a code that stops people from hacking into bank accounts- there is no way we should be ok with that!

Yep- it's political- smell that? I've had enough of politics, so yea, I'll stop ranting now. But honestly, at the very least we should be aware of this and be slightly concerned. Next thing y'know we'll have the right to protect ourselves taken away... oh! Politics!

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
Thirteenva said:
While your previous points were correct and valid. I feel you're really reaching here. I view the scanning of currency as a whole different argument than the one you elude to here. The currency issue constitutes fair use while you're final paragraph rant concerns issues of free speech.

Hey, I did put a big red flag at the top of my post. Or the text equivalent of it anyway. :D

Your comments are well-taken, and I don't intend to argue them either. The point I was trying to make (and apparently failed to at least some degree) wasn't the politics per se. It's the precedent that really bugs me. Adobe - and now, as we've heard, others as well - added in third party code which has the sole purpose of preventing a perfectly legal activity because theoretically it could be misused. My examples of what could happen were intentionally extreme - but I was trying to point out that just because you don't care if you can't scan currency doesn't mean you shouldn't care about the precedent, since if it's happened once it can easy happen again and again; perhaps with something you DO care about.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
I have Photoshop CS. I think it's great.MUCH better than Elements, which I bought, then returned prior to buying the full Photoshop.

But I didn't have any Photoshop prior to it, so I wasn't "upgrading".

In fact, disregard this post :p

_pb_boi

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
I can't believe this isn't a bigger issue. You're telling me the US government helped to put in new code to STOP USERS from doing something? Unless it's a code that stops people from hacking into bank accounts- there is no way we should be ok with that!

It was a fairly big deal when it went was posted on Slashdot, though :)

To be honest, it doesn't bother me soooo much. I know what people are saying, that it's the audacity of those involved to force their wishes on the end-user. Well heck, that's been happening for years - you could, then, say the same about anti-piracy measures. The legitimate user didn't ask to have to register his serial code - or go through hell to get a new one if he loses it. But it happened, and it's still happening. Doubtless, it'll continue to happen for many years to come. The only difference is that it was companies, and not the government, involved. Anti-piracy measures were introduced because those involved wanted it - no end-user asked for it; no matter whether they've now come to believe it's necessary to protect the industry. That's a different matter.

Just my take.

peace.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
I also think I heard that the Yen nor the Euro can be scanned as well.

Anyhoo, I use VueScan for my scanning needs.

One question concerning whether I should upgrade...
are any of the "incositencies" within the apps fixed?

Like deselect in Photoshop 7 being Cmd+D while in Illustrator it's Cmd+Shift+A

I've been thinking that since I am a student I should upgrade. Last summer I bought the DV suite because I mess with digital video some. Other than Premiere totally sucking, it was nice. Though I'd like Indesign and GoLive too. Oh, can you print to PDF in indesign3? I hate that I have to print to .PS and Distill it to get a .PDF.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Besides the enhanced colour depth, the only reason I can think to have Photoshop CS is if you want to work with RAW image files from recent digital cameras.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2004
I tell you some people here can really get your dander up!!
I am a graphics professional who works for a company that is an Adobe ASN member. What that means is that we pay $595 a year for membership to Adobe and are considered Partners. ASN stands for Adobe Solutions Network. The benefits are that we receive Adobe software in both PC and Mac formats that includes Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Go Live, Image Ready, and Acrobat Pro, as well as a few other utilities and apps( before OS X it also included ATM deluxe and other type utilities). Also we are allowed 15 FREE calls per year for any technical help we need.

Adobe CS is just that "Creative Suite" meaning that all the apps work together as one via "Version Cue" I can be working on a brochure layout in InDesign while at the same time someone else is working in photoshop on a few of the pictures in my document, and someone else can me modifying an Illustrator eps file (which now has a 3-D rendering engine built in) with no interruption to my layout. and because they are all linked together updates are virtually automatic. When a final draft is ready for a customer to view, I can save different "Layers" in Acrobat Pro so the customer gets to see different versions of the job to choose from.
I think this move to CS was one of the most important and the largest moves Adobe has made in years, and I applaud it.

And what i***t said you couldn't scan currency??? I did this a few minutes ago using a Powerlook III via Scansoft SE directly into Photoshop CS, then (according to proper law) modified it to 50% of original size and wrote over it "Marc say's you can scan currency, just know the proper laws accordingly"

Attachments

• 5dollar.jpg
    5dollar.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 677

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
Sparky's said:
And what i***t said you couldn't scan currency??? I did this a few minutes ago using a Powerlook III via Scansoft SE directly into Photoshop CS, then (according to proper law) modified it to 50% of original size and wrote over it "Marc say's you can scan currency, just know the proper laws accordingly"

What i***t, you ask? Why, Adobe says it themselves:

http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/cds.html

So basically all you've demonstrated is that the software is not 100% perfect. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.