Is Pixelmator worth it?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by diegobgr, Dec 21, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

Nov 22, 2009

I use Aperture for RAW adjustments and tags, browse library...

When I am working with my photos, I use Aperture 90% of the time.

But sometimes there are some photos that requires a special adjustments, zone by zone work, merge panoramas, HDR...

Photoshop is really expensive for me, I'm just enthusiast amateur, not a pro; so, what about Pixelmator?

I have downloaded the Pixelmator 2 trial and I am really enjoying it. It's fast, easy to use and as I see, really cheap.

What do you use?
  2. macrumors 6502a

Mar 29, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, USA
    I have PM and Aperture, but rarely use either. I use Photoshop Elements most of the time, but also enjoy several of the photography apps from the App Store. Lightmaster is a really simple HDR app and I also use Funtastic Photos a lot. I am a sucker for some of these apps and some are obviously better than others. Check out some of the photography apps.
  3. macrumors 603

Dec 31, 2002
    Green and pleasant land
    Pixelmator is OK for small files and light work, but Photoshop is light years better for more serious work.

Pixelmator seems more optimised for smaller files - I've tried it with 22 megapixel images and it slows to a crawl (Photoshop has better cacheing and works well with these). Pixelmator also can't properly handle 16 bit images, or different colour spaces - so you'll risk loosing shadow detail or getting 'posterization' if you use it.
  4. macrumors 6502a

Jan 1, 2009
    the cold dark north
    Partially agree with this.. I have a pixelmator license because i DO like the way it works and handles but I tend to use Photoshop Elements more... I had Photoshop but sold the license because it was just overkill for me. I do most of my adjustments within Aperture...But Pixelmator IS enough if you don't need to do real professional work..
  5. macrumors 601

Jul 11, 2008
    The lack of 16-bit TIFF work environment is a deal breaker.
  6. macrumors 68020

Apr 14, 2001
    Fukuoka, Japan
    I have bought Pixelmator years ago and I very much prefer its UI to that of Photoshop, especially Photoshop Elements. So for me, yes, it's worth it.