Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sk1985

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 13, 2006
I was wondering if there was a plugin or hack that would let an airport extreme card transmit radio wave that could work over a car or household radio. I seriously don't understand why it wouldn't be possible. The only conclusions I can come up with why it might not work is that the airport might be sending out a super high frequency radio wave that radio transmitters might not be able to pic up on, it's signal might be too faint, or its sends out a signal in some sort of strange radio band (then again shouldn't a hack fix that and the frequency it sends out it's waves at?).

I mean I could see it as a possibility considering how a Nintendo DS' wifi has the ability to show (faint) video over a tv when it's wifi is on.

This Nintendo DS anomaly made me wonder if transmitting music over radio waves was a possibility. And if a program was available.

fisty

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2006
wifi around 2-3gHz "i think not entirely sure but 95% sure"
FM around the 100mHz
Video higher than fm but lower than wifi

in theory a hack could just tell the device to use different frequencies etc...but how do u implement in what band?what format to stream"videos" etc....

seems like a lot of work and coding for something silly and people i.e. coders are maybe not willing sacrifice their time to do such thing...but hey maybe u get lucky

my little knowledge here at work....any criticism welcome maybe im TOTALLY wrong hehe

edit...man my grammer sucks at times...

Revlimit Punk

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2006
Italy
Adding up to fisty's considerations, i don't think that the modulation of the frequency emitted by the airport card can be changed via software. You would at least need to perform an hardware hack on the airport card to do such things, i think.
If you really want to do that (transmitting fm signals) i think you will be better off buying a third party accessory that is built to for that particular task (something like the iTrip for the iPod).

I didn't know about the nintendo DS causing interference on tv sets, but i suppose that people that have such issue are using 2.4Ghz transmitters (pretty popular) to share video signals from cable tv services across multiple tv sets in their houses. I had the same issue with bluetooth (also 2.4Ghz as wifi) and i solved it by upgrading to a 5Ghz video transmitter.

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
It's not just the frequency. Also to consider is the modulation, multiplexing, protocol stack, audio encoding/decoding. In theory, DAB is a closer match in some of these aspects to AirTunes/802.11x than FM, but even then, WiFi is "point-to-point" (or something) whereas domestic radio is "broadcast".

I've probably got the terminology wrong, so no flames please from pro radio comms engineers (unless you really want to). But, it's the equivalent of taking a gramaphone record, spraying it with silver paint, and expecting it to play in your CD player.

Now, if a radio manufacturer were to explicitly build-in AirTunes remote speaker support into a radio set (basically, include cut-down AirPort express hardware and software alongside all the other technology that goes into a Radio), then I might even buy one... if the battery life was half-decent.

If you don't belive me, then this link may help. :D

Regards
Superleccy

Edit: Could this be the silver-spray paint of the future?

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
I don't know about this, but one time my mum was on the phone, she could here my music -which wasn't even been transmitted, it was just playing in iTunes. It is a Panasonic 5.8Ghz phone.

matticus008

macrumors 68040
Jan 16, 2005
Bay Area, CA
I had a TV once that would play back calls from my 900MHz cordless phone when it was tuned to a certain channel. Basically, any radio source can be intercepted and any piece of wire can become an antenna under the right conditions.

But intentionally recreating those conditions in a device meant for a different purpose requires, as other people have mentioned, a hardware hack. Katie's link to the FM transmitter from CompUSA is cheaper and quite a bit less involved than anything else for this purpose.

superleccy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2004
That there big London
matticus008 said:
Basically, any radio source can be intercepted and any piece of wire can become an antenna under the right conditions.
For analogue transmission yes, and this is why some people say they can hear AM radio in their dental fillings. But for digital transmission (like AirTunes), sure the signal could be picked up, but at best it's just gonna sound like interference.

epepper9 said:
I don't know about this, but one time my mum was on the phone, she could here my music -which wasn't even been transmitted, it was just playing in iTunes. It is a Panasonic 5.8Ghz phone.
It must have been crosstalk (I think that's the right term) between your iTunes speakers and the analogue bits of the FHSS phone. Unless, of course, Panasonic have developed a method of activating AirTunes by stealth and decoding the compressed audio streams in parallel to your Mum's telephone conversation. :)

Regards
Superleccy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.