Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Web browsing on the intel Macs is a thousand times better than on PPCs, even when a G5 is running TFF. The latest versions of Chrome and Firefox will last a long time on ML, so you don't have to worry. I would put the iMac in a cabinet and connect the ACD from there, just my thoughts
I've been running Firefox on my iMac, yet it seems exactly the same (if not slower) than my G5 with TenFourFox 45. :confused:
Mountain Lion is still downloading, I'll have it installed soon.

May want to upgrade the RAM if you choose on upgrading the os. Me, having another monitor sitting in front of my all-in-one would drive me nuts.

You could always get a replacement panel off the interweb and take the opportunity to upgrade the drive with an inexpensive Intel sata2 ssd. Upgrade the ram and the processor. Maybe it's just me; but that sounds like fun. While you are doing all that you would have the trusty old ppc to use
That does sound like fun! :) I'm sure it would run El Capitan just fine after all of that. I'll take a look at the prices if everything I need to upgrade. I don't want to spend too much on this if I have a perfectly working iMac and a G5 already. I'll probably end up doing everything but the processor, but, again, I haven't seen the prices yet, so I'm not sure.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
I've been running Firefox on my iMac, yet it seems exactly the same (if not slower) than my G5 with TenFourFox 45. :confused:
Mountain Lion is still downloading, I'll have it installed soon.

That does sound like fun! :) I'm sure it would run El Capitan just fine after all of that. I'll take a look at the prices if everything I need to upgrade. I don't want to spend too much on this if I have a perfectly working iMac and a G5 already. I'll probably end up doing everything but the processor, but, again, I haven't seen the prices yet, so I'm not sure.
With ML you will have to install using MacPostFactor! You need to have the ML.app and download MPF from here (http://osxhackers.net/macpostfactor.html) I didn't see how much RAM the computer has? That could be a reason for it running so slowly. I find Chrome runs better than Firefox on older intels
[doublepost=1474498299][/doublepost]
I'm sure it would run El Capitan just fine after all of that
Not really, as I explained earlier, must cards will lack graphics acceleration in El Cap due to the lack of drivers

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
I have MacPostFactor downloading now. The computer used to have 3GB of RAM (the max) but one day it suddenly only had 2GB. I assume one of the modules went bad. I'll be upgrading the RAM soon.

Gamer9430

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Contrary to what @MacCubed said, I find FireFox to work better on older Intel Macs than chrome. Chrome is a memory hog on any computer, so using it on an 06 iMac with a low RAM amount on Lion, the most resource hungry OS X version (in my opinion), would be pretty horrific. However, using the lighter and more refined Mountain Lion along with FireFox enhanced with @eyoungren's tweaks for TenFourFox make for smooth sailing. Even with the low RAM availability, it should work better than chrome. Of course, id still recommend getting more RAM, but I was able to squeeze by with 2GB on ML with FireFox.

elf69

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2016
Cornwall UK
In my 2007 macbook pro chrome is huge ram hog.

with chrome open with 5 tabs and excel and word.
It is using the full 4GB of ram.

Same in m 2009 macbook but this has 8GB installed so not real issue.

I do t use chrome on my 2007 imac at home only firefox and it runs quite well on 4GB ram with el capitan

Reactions: Gamer9430

AmazingHenry

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 6, 2015
Central Michigan
Just using the iMac on Snow Leopard, I think my PowerMac is faster. I'm having trouble with the Mountain Lion installation, and I'm sure Mountain Lion would be slower than Snow Leopard. It looks like I'm going to be moving back to my PowerMac G5 for now. Thanks for all of your replies! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.