Is protecting the screen of a 12" necessary?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Col127, Sep 19, 2003.

1. Col127 macrumors 6502

Sep 13, 2003

I've read a lot that people are buying products to protect the screen from the keyboard? What's that all about? Do you know if that's necessary in the new 12" PBs? I'll be putting my 12" in a Brain Cell (from Tom Bihn) & sticking that in my backpack, so I'm not sure how much pressure will be on the lid of the top.

What are your thoughts on this? And what about products like the iSKin for notebook keyboards? Anyone use these?
  2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop
    Re: Is protecting the screen of a 12" necessary?

There is a lot of clearance between the flush-mount keyboard, and the countersunk screen surface, and about thre mm gap on top of it.

If you supply the 12PB with enough force to make the screen meet the keyboard - you'll likely crack the screen. Don't worry about it.
  3. iPC macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2003
    East Windsor, CT
    col - The iSkin for keyboards is great for the iBook. I am not so sure about the 12" PB though (different style of keyboard).

I know a guy that uses a piece of felt cut to fit size/shape of his PB keyboard to keep his keys from rubbing screen. Cost him $2 at a craft store. Go for the thinnest felt you can find, if you decide to go that route.