Is Quickbooks the only accounting app that handles lines of business? Can't be....

Discussion in 'Mac Applications and Mac App Store' started by Undecided, Jun 30, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

Is Quickbooks the only app that handles multiple "lines of business"? In quickbooks, that's called "classes" and is a great way to distinguish between locations or whatever.

I find it hard to believe that other accounting packages don't do the same thing but call it something else, but I have yet to find one. Maybe it's only in super high end systems costing thousands of dollars?

Is there a fundamental way other accounting systems are addressing "classes" that I'm simply missing?

Quickbooks is one of few apps that keep me from being fully operational on an iPad. An accounting app on the iPad that also handles lines of business would be great.

2. macrumors regular

Multiledger

If you were talking about working on a Mac I would say take a look at MultiLedger, excellent program that I think is better than Quickbooks. Don't know about the iPad.

3. macrumors 603

Also look at AccountEdge. Not cheap, but not 'thousands' either.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, but how do those two do the equivalent of classes to track multiple lines of business? I perused their sites, and I'm just not seeing it.

5. macrumors 603

Check with a consultant (in Canada the consultants can sell and service AE, and therefore there are the place to go to get questions answered.) I don't need that feature, and therefore I don't know how it is done.

6. yvr
    macrumors newbie

account edge

I use Account Edge for my wife's law practice. I use the "jobs" feature to distinguish a particular client/file. You can name the job whatever you want, it's independent of the particular account(s) a transaction is posted to. I think this would work for your classes matter. I've also used the phone support service from Account Edge, both pre and post purchase, and found them very helpful. The online help topics are easy to follow. Downloading transactions from the bank also works well.