Is Quicken for Mac as good as Windows Version?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by epsarch1, May 27, 2004.

1. epsarch1 macrumors newbie

I want to move to the current Mac OSX platform from Windows 98 but must reconsider if Quicken for Mac is crippled by the following omission.

Intuit states that 90% of users track their investments with Quicken. Yet while 401K data is supported in the Windows version, Quicken for Mac is apparently not configured to receive or integrate 401K data. This seems to be a major oversite since the absence of these numbers in, say, a net worth report, would result in a financial profile that would be fundamentally inaccurate. Is my understanding correct or are Intuit's off-shore technical advisors mistaken?

2. Fukui macrumors 68000

Fukui

If you can, try to go to an Apple Store and ask them if you can try quicken. On most computers it comes with it when you buy it (Quickbooks on the Powerbooks). Also if you go here, go down the page and read the responses from readers, one says that he used Moneydance to do 401ks... if worse comes to worse, you could always run Virtual PC and use quicken... not the best solution, I know...

3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I don't understand how that would be the case.

I have an account set up for my 401(k) and an IRA, which I have invested in various mutual funds (Vanguard). I can record transactions (purchase, dividend, etc.) in each of those accounts, and it shows up in the portfolio view, and also shows up if I calculate net worth.

I haven't used the "download transactions" feature because I've had problems with it in the past, but for the most part that's partly a problem with the financial co.

4. agentmouthwash macrumors regular

agentmouthwash

all of the issues you have were resolved in the newest version of Quicken.
    Apple worked hard with Intuit to make the mac version very "Accountant friendly." My brother-in-law who is a attorney had the same issues before we switched. Now that he uses the mac version he says it's a pleasure to use.

Good luck!