is reality tv staged?

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Apr 19, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

survivor, mtv's real world, joe millionaire, american idol, cops, the osbournes, etc...

fake? real? does it matter?

2. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Re: is reality tv staged?

I don't think it matters. As long as the drama on it seems to convey a sense of reality instead of the drival that melodramatic, uninteresting sitcoms convey, maybe it's a good sociological tool.

People seem to look for feedback about themselves and about society. I doubt most programming, especially not the news, does this. But reality TV sort of takes the hype out of programming that is hardly edifying.

I think our country needs it. It's reassuring in a way.

My $0.02.

:D

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Didn't the WWF have this problem?

Ooops...

Doesn't matter, they're gone (name changed) and replaced by the staged shows of the WWE.

[Edit - No, I'm not talking about the World Wildlife Fund ;)]

4. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i never caught onto the real world, but the last episode of survivor was the best reality thing i have ever seen...but i have not seen another survivor episode since that historic finale:p

how can you match richard hatch??

5. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

You mean first season?

I guess you're referring to the first season of Survivor? I personally liked the second season, although I have to say that little girl from the first season was really adorable.

Yeah, Hatch was cool. What I appreciated about first season finale was that it was rather gritty. Better than fiction, IMHO. :D

6. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

very good topic, i think its partially staged.

Survivor a few moments this season i've said B$. Like in one of the first episodes when the "candybar" was missing. I don't rmemeber if anyone fessed up but I would bet the producers would do something like that for drama.

RealWorld- I think this can be real at sometimmes but then MTV goes out of its way to encourage or stimulate conflict by different situations but i don't think they tell ppl to fight.

Cops, i think the ppl are too high, drunk or dumb to be acting. They have been on too long to be faking all these seasons. Maybe the cops are acting like hardass' but don't they all try to do that always?

Joe Millionaire- I tihnk most of this was staged in terms of the fights between ppl. I mean didn't they magically find out that 1 chick had a boyfriend. Also probably described dates or let the other girls watch the other dates to increase the steam but thats an opinion.

American Idol- don't care don't watch

The Osbournes- I would say maybe but the problem is that some of their problems actually happen in my house so that leads me towards no.

7. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Does a Bear Sh** in the woods?

:D

Depends on your definition, but mine it TV is a stage. And a prevalent one at that.

8. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Re: Re: is reality tv staged?

You mean bears DOOOO that sort of thing in the woods??? ;)

9. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i've never actually seen more than a few minutes of survivor, but all the ones i have seen fox do have quite frankly sucked completely and contributed to how disreputable in general TV is. of course, fox hasn't turned out anything good since the simpsons...

10. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

It's all a big joke. A waste of money. They should give the money to me, and just show two monkeys eating bugs off each others' backs all day...

I only saw one part of survivor, and it was when they had a pizza delivered via helicopter...

I think I could survive longer than anyone on the show, in real life. I've been taught quite a bit by a man who was taught by Tom Brown himself. The ultimate in wilderness survival... But these days it doesn't matter. You need urban survival now...

11. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

i think the real world on mtv and the people's court are very staged or controlled

has anyone ever seen a small claims court proceeding??...it does not take only 9 1/2 minutes...15 with commercials;)

12. medea macrumors 68030

medea

personally I think it's sad that people are willing to go on tv and do these things just for a chance at some money a their 5 mins of fame, I can't imagine going on tv to eat rotten cheese with mealworms etc just for a chance at $50,000.
    And how come these stations have so much money to give away?

13. GeneR macrumors 6502a

GeneR

Hmmm...

Medea:

This may be why they have so much friggin money:

SCENARIO #1:
    Advertisements send $$$ to studios to pay for ad spots => Money gets sent to production company => production company has money to pay contestants.

The better the ratings for the show, the more the network can charge for each 30 second commercial in the tens to hundreds of thousands.

SCENARIO #2:
    Production company create business deals with manufacturers to help offset production costs and maximize profitability. => Products with TV show logo and endorsement get bandied about. Tie-ins are important => profitability.

The first Survivor probably made CBS several hundred million in profits.

14. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Well they're all staged, the better question is "Are they scripted?" I think the vast majority are. American idol, I think the winner is known the whole time; Joe Millionare, etc all read straight from scripts. But shows like the Osbornes don't follow script, just a predetermined idea of how outrageous the show should be...

pnw

15. MacFan25 macrumors 68000

MacFan25

Well, I think reality shows don't cost as much to make as sitcoms. They may give away a million bucks after 20 episodes of a reality show. But, on a sitcom, like "Friends", it may cost the network a few million dollars just to pay for the actors for one episode.

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

The only reality show that I watch is Survivor. The first series with Richard Hatch, I'll admit that I only saw the finale. I have been hooked ever since. The show is not scripted. But I do think there is manipulation of the contestants by the producers!

17. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

I don't know how much of the shows are actually staged by producers, but as long as the people know they are being filmed, it will never be truly "reality TV", because of a little fact about humans: we always act different when we know we are being watched. Plus, the situations are not at all realistic, so therefore, the only "reality" would be that of an experiment to see how people react when they are competing for money in front of a million people, and you could just as easily watch a game show for that.

That said, it doesn't really matter, because they're still fun to watch, even if you know it's not real.

JW

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I forgot about another reality show that has my interest is "Big Brother" on CBS usually shown in the summer. They have multiple cameras in a house, the only privacy is when using the commode. Comments made by the contestants is that after a while you forget about the cameras being there. I think that with 24/7 coverage in a house with no outside contact that the real person is revealed!

19. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

if the shows are not scripted or staged, they would usually be boring

i think the show that is most fake on tv is people's court and mtv's real world (sometimes)

i think the first real realiy tv show is yet to be aired

20. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Do you watch any of the current reality shows?

I don't watch comedy. Much prefer drama like ER, Law & Order X3, & CSI X2!

21. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

cops is not a reaity tv series in what u consider to be; cops is a show consisting of actual video recordings of cop encounters. survivor is a bunch of losers fighting, well wait a second.. :D

22. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Reality tv is well, real. That's why about once a month, I get whisked off to an exotic location (via helicopter) to fight with a bunch of people over scraps of food, join "tribes" etc. Isn't this how everybody make their living? :rolleyes:

I also met my wife "Joe Millionaire" style :p

23. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

mtv plans it all out before when they pick the people. they get a gay guy, a black person, maybe a lesbian, and then surround the black people with white people and you got yourself a pretty good show. i dont watch real world as much as i used to, i do like the challenge going on between them and road rules. i like the osbournes, damn that show cracks me up.

iJon

24. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

american idol

25. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

They're a fickin' crap!

My wife has made me watch Survivor 1 and Joe Millionare. they both suck in you, and simply suck, at the same time.

Are they scripted, though? I don't think they are "scripted" per se. They aren't actors reading lines? But, by definition, they are staged - they bring people together, create an artificial situation and let it go. It doesn't take a mensa cadidate to figure out that if you put 30 attractive women who are accustomed get what they want in a situation where they are competing for an attractive and percieved wealthy guy there will be some sparks. Is that scripted? Probably not. Does Fox, or CBS or whoever, care who "wins" the competition? Not bloody likely, since the audience doesn't learn that until the last segment of the last show. Too late to stop watching at that point.

I get enough reality and drama in my life. I watch TV to laugh (Simpsons), learn (C-SPAN booknotes, etc) or indulge my non-Mac passion (San Francisco Giants Baseball).