Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Another possibility is that the assumption that iOS is much better is incorrect.

Neither is better, I don't think some realize how stupid they sound when they choose one side and vehemently stand behind it as "better" without opening their eyes to anything else. The reality is that some user PREFER one OS over another due to the way they use that OS, familiarity, ecosystem, etc. It doesn't make that OS better in general, just better for that particular person. We can also start to pick apart each feature and/or app, but once again that is usually a function of the person and their needs.

If we could get by this then we would see some great discussion on the forums. Unfortunately we are stuck with 90% of posts being someone proclaiming how their OS is universally better.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Let's assume iOS is way better than Android at almost everything. The question now becomes why are people buying Android devices that cost the same or more than iPhones?
How about just going with basic reality that iOS and Android are different in various ways and what is "better" or "worse" is different for different people based on their personal needs/wants/likes/dislikes and how they use their devices. The realty is really that simple in that respect.

Hanzu Lao

Suspended
Aug 24, 2016
How about just going with basic reality that iOS and Android are different in various ways and what is "better" or "worse" is different for different people based on their personal needs/wants/likes/dislikes and how they use their devices. The realty is really that simple in that respect.
Preference alone doesn't mean anything.

Hanzu Lao

Suspended
Aug 24, 2016
your right it doesn't mean anything. it's the only thing. use what your prefer.

Since you have to interact with the world (unless of course if you live on an island alone) you have to have reasons for preferring something. Try interacting with other people with that attitude. You will not go far.

phoneme

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2015
Since you have to interact with the world (unless of course if you live on an island alone) you have to have reasons for preferring something. Try interacting with other people with that attitude. You will not go far.
im doing good so far. i got you to respond:)

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
my personal opinion and i could be totally wrong. but it all depends on what you do with your phone. if your a person who uses your phone for alot of social media type stuff then i would think iphone may be the better the option. but if your a bussiness type person then android may be the better option. this is just how i see things. and yes i do buy both flagships every year. except for this year i will not be buying the iphone7.
These comparisons definitely boil down to what people use their phones for I agree. I use mine mainly for talking on obviously lol, social media, email, taking photos and sharing them etc. I do think the iPhone suits business use too though, in fact I know it does due to the fact it is so popular within that environment. When I attend meetings and conferences I would say I see more iPhones in use than any other device to be honest.

I always think the only real differences between iOS and Android is personal taste. They both do the mainstream basics, let's face it.

Reactions: C DM and apolloa

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
That article bolstered the case that IOS does NOT need cache cleaners. Taking the first example, Safari, in case you weren't aware of how modern browsers work to give the best web experience, I'll explain it. Browsers store web-bits, such as cookies, web files and download history to make browsing better and increase response time in the browser by not continually downloading the same file and the cookies enable storing of preferences and login. Sure you can delete all of those files but then you have to enter your login credentials again for every website.
You are floundering about the main point.Point is I do a lot of browsing and using a ton of apps.The junk files take a **** ton of storage.It is cache no matter how technically you try to avoid the term.Here is chrome using the word cache.Also check out the "junk files" on my phone after a day of cleaning.Now can you explain what these junk files this app calls are?After 2 months I am pretty sure they could go beyond 5 gigs.If that doesnt need a cleaner what does?By your logic even Android doesnt need cache cleaning because its the same thing there

SZEh4wm.jpg

XASj4Kw.jpg

So to summarize, aside from customizing wallpaper and cleaning your cache IOS is better. If your main tasks are wallpaper switching and cache cleaning, android is better.
Dont forget productivity,theme engines,editing long press functions and gesture customisation along with multi tasking in Android Nougat on phones

No incompatibilities with facetime or imessage
Can you provide me the link of those 2 apps to the play store ?I can provide links of Allo and Skype to the iOS App store if you want

Oh, and did I mention the loooonnnnngggg press to get that menu, while 3DT is instant. That long press seems to be torture to wait for.
@bold Emphasizing those particular words weakens your arguments and shows childishness .Anyone with a degree of common sense knows that long press is faster.How many times have people goofed up on iOS trying to achieve a lon gpress function but activating 3d touch.Answer-A Lot .Long press on Android can be customised.3D Touch cant.Game over

This is a typical photo comparison, note the blown out highlights and overprocessing of the bottom photo from the s7. While YOU might prefer that photo, I prefer the top photo. This is typical S7 along with color shift, and oversaturation, as shown by the bottom comparison. Can you pick out the photo with the most chromatic abberation, hint, it's the top photo and it's from the s7.

As far as my personal opinion goes I liked the iPhone pics in the one you pointed out.But several comparisons show the S7 soundly beating iPhone 7

http://www.pcmag.com/article/347907/iphone-7-plus-vs-iphone-6s-vs-galaxy-s7-cameras-compared

"
When comparing the main cameras on the iPhone 6s, iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, and Samsung Galaxy S7, the S7 wins out in our lab tests. Its larger sensor size gives it an edge as the ISO is pushed higher, and it scores the highest on our sharpness test. The iPhone 7 (and 7 Plus) come in a close second, with the older 6s trailing the pack."

bildschirmfoto-2016-09-18-um-15-10-29-png.654328

Reactions: apolloa

yellowscreen

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2015
You are floundering about the main point.Point is I do a lot of browsing and using a ton of apps.The junk files take a **** ton of storage.It is cache no matter how technically you try to avoid the term.Here is chrome using the word cache.Also check out the "junk files" on my phone after a day of cleaning.Now can you explain what these junk files this app calls are?After 2 months I am pretty sure they could go beyond 5 gigs.If that doesnt need a cleaner what does?By your logic even Android doesnt need cache cleaning because its the same thing there

SZEh4wm.jpg

XASj4Kw.jpg

in 5 years of using iphones and macs, i never cleaned any cache. how come safari doesnt have a problem with this? how come my 16gb iphone never had a problem with safari cache? music, photos, sure. safari? its never been in top 20 apps. and yet somehow, in chrome, you amass 5gigs of cache in 2 months.

one of the solutions could also be leaving your phone a bit, not living it. considering your overwhelming presence on this forum and the vigorous replies i think i've hit the jack pot. 5 gigs? yeah, think about it.

the other could be leaving chrome?

meanwhile, i'm learning to use the ignore button more often.

@bold Emphasizing those particular words weakens your arguments and shows childishness .Anyone with a degree of common sense knows that long press is faster.How many times have people goofed up on iOS trying to achieve a lon gpress function but activating 3d touch.Answer-A Lot .Long press on Android can be customised.3D Touch cant.Game over

you do understand that even the long press name hints at which is faster?

im not sure you understand what common sense means. you definitely are not applying it.

macfacts

macrumors 601
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron

I said "way better" and "much better", and the original thread topic was asking if it is a "competitive alternative".

I agree it is a personal preference and I posit both OSes are competitive alternatives to each other. Only difference in user experience in my opinion is who is in control of the device. With iPhones, you have to use it the way Apple says (you're holding it wrong, you have to do it this way, convuluted work arounds for everything). If your way of doing things happens to align with Apple's way, then that is awesome. An example is if I have a folder of songs, I can use the Samsung music app to play those songs in the folder or make a playlist for them. My choice. With iOS, I would need to add them to the music app then make a playlist. No choice.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
If you are a basic smartphone user like myself I would say you'll use every phone in much the same way. I don't use an iPhone any differently to the Android phone I owned 4 years ago. I like iOS and it's simple layout. If I want folders on the go I use google drive, but I try not to use my phone as a computer, I spend too much time at the office moving files around, and don't need it on my phone too.

All this tit for tat long press, Apples way tripe is just getting old. Nobody is going to be convinced that one OS is better than the other because the only person who can answer that is the individual and their personal preferences.

kasakka

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2008
All this tit for tat long press, Apples way tripe is just getting old. Nobody is going to be convinced that one OS is better than the other because the only person who can answer that is the individual and their personal preferences.

Exactly. I have some very small reasons why I like Android better on a phone, things like scroll speed in websites (iPhone is miserably slow when trying to scroll down a very long page), notification lights (being able to tell that I have a notification from app X just by light color), customizing various small things (though this varies between Android phones a lot), device size and so on. Someone else is going to have a different set of criteria.

I'm pretty picky about my devices and just like I would not buy the current iPhone models, I would not buy a large majority of Android phones either - often because some detail is not right or is too much of a compromise. For example I considered the ZTE Axon 7 as it is exactly what I want on paper on the hardware side, but reports of crappy stock ROM, poor developer support and poor cell reception are enough to steer me away.

OrangeInc

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2013
One major advantage with android over iOS is that more than one phone model can run android whereas iOS has just technically one phone. The iPhone. (Yes I know there is a plus, and se etc etc but they are all designed exactly the same. Android, I can choose from hundreds of different phones to fit my specific needs and tastes.

Reactions: v0lume4

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
One major advantage with android over iOS is that more than one phone model can run android whereas iOS has just technically one phone. The iPhone. (Yes I know there is a plus, and se etc etc but they are all designed exactly the same. Android, I can choose from hundreds of different phones to fit my specific needs and tastes.
Different price points, differing support, differing quality etc. otoh with an iPhone you know what you get.

OrangeInc

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2013
Different price points, differing support, differing quality etc. otoh with an iPhone you know what you get.

That doesn't negate anything I said. iOS can only be run on iPhones but Android can be run on hundreds of other phones. More choices with Android. The whole "you know what you get with an iPhone" can be said for any phone if you do enough research.

Hanzu Lao

Suspended
Aug 24, 2016
That doesn't negate anything I said. iOS can only be run on iPhones but Android can be run on hundreds of other phones. More choices with Android. The whole "you know what you get with an iPhone" can be said for any phone if you do enough research.
Except it's not a choice, but an illusion of choice.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
Can I just say that I think Android is a great OS. It just bloody works and this is something I've come to realise since being stuck with a work iPhone whilst waiting for my Note 7 to be delivered. The number of basic features iOS lacks is frustrating and absence certainly makes the heart grow fonder.

It just pisses me off how iOS is programmed to look like it is doing more than it really is.

• Double tap the home button and select an app and 99% of the time it has to reload and throws you back to its home screen. Never get that on Android
  • Apple maps looks all lovely and fast but it is only ever rendering whatever is on the screen at that exact moment in time. Go on satellite view, look at something, then look at something else, then go back. Reload, reload reload...just so the phone doesn't lose a frame.
  • Swipe back in the web browser. It makes it look like its done it instantly...but it hasn't. Try actually scrolling up and down in the web browser and it just sits there until it has reloaded. Why can't it just be honest and show it is reloading!!!
  • You can literally have a standoff with your phone - when gmail is loading, just touch the screen. It refuses to load up until you stop touching the screen? Why? because making everything bounce around the screen at a high framerate is seemingly more important than just loading your bloody emails.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Can I just say that I think Android is a great OS. It just bloody works and this is something I've come to realise since being stuck with a work iPhone whilst waiting for my Note 7 to be delivered. The number of basic features iOS lacks is frustrating and absence certainly makes the heart grow fonder.

It just pisses me off how iOS is programmed to look like it is doing more than it really is.

• Double tap the home button and select an app and 99% of the time it has to reload and throws you back to its home screen. Never get that on Android
  • Apple maps looks all lovely and fast but it is only ever rendering whatever is on the screen at that exact moment in time. Go on satellite view, look at something, then look at something else, then go back. Reload, reload reload...just so the phone doesn't lose a frame.
  • Swipe back in the web browser. It makes it look like its done it instantly...but it hasn't. Try actually scrolling up and down in the web browser and it just sits there until it has reloaded. Why can't it just be honest and show it is reloading!!!
  • You can literally have a standoff with your phone - when gmail is loading, just touch the screen. It refuses to load up until you stop touching the screen? Why? because making everything bounce around the screen at a high framerate is seemingly more important than just loading your bloody emails.
Switching to another app often doesn't need to reload it, although sometimes certainly that hapoens, just nothing even remotely close to 99% of the time.

Perhaps it might depend on the particular web site, but most of the time going back I can scroll around petty much right away in Safari.

Just tried touching and holding the screen while Gmail or Mail were loading and everything loaded and updated as usual without any issues.

nickchallis92

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2012
London
Switching to another app often doesn't need to reload it, although sometimes certainly that hapoens, just nothing even remotely close to 99% of the time.

Perhaps it might depend on the particular web site, but most of the time going back I can scroll around petty much right away in Safari.

Just tried touching and holding the screen while Gmail or Mail were loading and everything loaded and updated as usual without any issues.

To be fair I am on the 5S which has an embarrasing amount of RAM.

Gmail the ball just spins until you let go!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
To be fair I am on the 5S which has an embarrasing amount of RAM.

Gmail the ball just spins until you let go!
I'm on iPhone 6 with the same amount of RAM. But you are right, the last two iPhone updates already have at least twice the RAM.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012

The only thing i like about iOS is the battery life, an example i was trying to download PDF bus timetable the other day and it's like impossible to save and upload to Google Drive, things like that make me feel i'm using a OS for dumb people.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
The only thing i like about iOS is the battery life, an example i was trying to download PDF bus timetable the other day and it's like impossible to save and upload to Google Drive, things like that make me feel i'm using a OS for dumb people.

I'm not sure why or where you're having trouble--I upload all kinds of docs but predominantly pdfs and .doc files to Google Drive from my iPhone and iPad daily.

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
I'm not sure why or where you're having trouble--I upload all kinds of docs but predominantly pdfs and .doc files to Google Drive from my iPhone and iPad daily.
A PDF that opens in Safari how to i save it to Drive? Android 2 clicks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.