Is Rock Dead?

Discussion in 'Music Discussion' started by job, Oct 26, 2003.

1. job
    macrumors 68040

job

Is it?

You now have a generation of youths who grew up listening to the bubblegum pop of the '90s and who currently think bands like Good Charlotte are rock. I'm interested to hear what everyone thinks.

2. macrumors 68030

medea

no rock is not dead, there are plenty of bands that are "rock" you just don't hear them on mtv or the (mainstream) radio.

3. Co.
    macrumors newbie

No, Rock is very much still alive...

A better question would be, is Punk still alive?
    The majoraty of youth think Good Charlotte is Punk, not Rock...

:confused:

4. job
    thread starter macrumors 68040

job

isn't that a problem though?

kids grow up not knowing how much they are missing.

5. macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

There is still some good music out there, but you're not likely to hear it. Blame the music industry. They're the ones who benefit from all the sugar-coated crap out there.

Co., no punk is not alive anymore. You could argue that it died in the early 80's (or in 1977, you could argue whatever you want) but in the last 10 years it's been dug out of the grave and the rotting corpse of punk has been dressed in new clothes and generated a lot of income for a lot of people. I was ready to kill when it was just Green Day (by far the worst offenders) and Offspring doing it but it gets worse every year. The candy coating gets thicker and sweeter.

How bad are things? I went to see Rob Zombie about a year ago. I like Rob Zombie well enough but the reason I went was because the Damned were opening and I hadn't seen them in a while. They got a terrible reaction from the 5000 16 year olds in attendance. "Who are these old guys?" "This isn't Punk!" Idiots. Between songs they actually had to give history lessons and explain that there were a few punk bands in the beginning and they were one of them. It was really sad and the Damned quit the tour the show after that (only 4-5 shows into a huge tour). The sad irony is that the kids dissing the Damned paid $50 to see Green Day.

Edit: The Damned got a decent reaction when they played Smash It Up--everyone thought it was an Offspring song.

6. macrumors G3

Re: Is Rock Dead?

The same could be said about the 80's as well.... what with Bon Jovi, or Heart or any other iffy poodle haired, tight leather/demin trousered hero's... heheh!

It depends what you define as rock I suppose... certainly bands like Nirvana, Pearl Jam etc etc, killed 80's cock rock like the Motley Crew etc etc, and to me, they were more important, more vital, more influential and more intelligent than MC and their ilk ever will be...

Rock will never die, it'll just keep reinventing itself.... the same way as pop will eat itself!

7. macrumors newbie

Not Dead

Rock seems to reinvent and reinvigorate itself every few years. The Internet and digital music has changed the way a lot of people seek out and hear music. I'm more excited about new bands now than I've been in a decade. Bands like White Stripes, Kings of Leon, Interpol, Strokes, Jet, The Music, Spoon, etc.

8. macrumors 6502a

true777

stuff such as L7's "**** List" (though that's some years back, too) to me is definitely rock, and good rock. Atari Teenage Riot to me is punk that's contemporary, interesting, and not lame. There are young bands in San Francisco where I live (and I'm sure in other places) doing old-style punk without being despicable though they're not fantastically interesting, either.
    And death metal / grindcore is still alive, too.

But if you mean stuff such as Deep Purple, Steppenwolf, Led Zeppelin or Eric Clapton, then by definition, there can be nothing like it in the same genre now, because their sound could be so straightforward, simple, and pure BECAUSE it was new. Bands doing rock now have to add something to that in order to not just copy the original sound, to make it new and fresh. But by doing so, they take away from the purity, simplicity & punch of original rock.

9. macrumors 601

krossfyter

very true im glad to hear someone on hear connetcts contemporary punk with atari teenage riot and distinquishes it as not lame.

well i avoid the mtv mainstream bug and try my best into dwelving into the underground rock world because most the time thats where the treasure offbeat sh*t is at.... the stuff that will change the scape of music and the stuff that is hidden because of got da*n corporate radio.

i often times love going to
    www.theprp.com

to get the 411 on up an coming loud, moody and progressive bands.

from there ive become aquainted with bands like...

hoobustank (when they were not mainstream... when they had horns in thier music)

dredg (great contemporary prog rock band)

the mars volta (another contemporary prog rock band that i like to call todays led zepplin... if they ever got big)

queens of the stone age
    codeseven
    quitterarmy
    dog fashion disco
    killswitchengage

and a bunch of others.

anyways my point is that if you peak behind the wall that is corporate radio/mainstream radio etc. you will see real life and art... the real voice of unfabricated passion.

10. macrumors 601

krossfyter

whats up with atr now a days?

11. macrumors G3

I thought they'd split???

after PWEI split in 96, I switched to ATR because I was in need of a band that captured the PWEI spirit.... I needed a fix!! heheh!

12. macrumors 601

krossfyter

i think they did. it looks like alec empire is solo right now.

13. macrumors 6502

go download a perfect circle and tell me rock is dead.

btw, why arent we getting Thirteenth Step on iTMS? why is is that some of these bands have held off putting their latest on the site, i would buy the whole album the second its availible but its been more than a month now. might just have to get the cd, or do something illegal...

14. job

job

right, i own all of tool's albums and just recently bought both albums from a perfect circle. but that isn't really what i was asking.

does a perfect circle really enjoy big name recognition as bands like nirvana or the rolling stones did in their heyday?

sure, people who enjoy music similar to a perfect circle will know who they are, but will the vast majority of people? my guess is no.

instead, pop culture has become so sensationalized that people are more interested in what jessica simpson says than who johnny cash was (reference to someone i know who knew what episode of jessica simpson's show was playing but had no idea who johnny cash was. crazy.)

i guess the term 'rock' is also a bit subjective, since there are so many types/definitions.

15. macrumors 601

krossfyter

exactly a perfect circle is a "perfect" example. thier new album is phenominal. in this world full of money obsessed bullsh*t artists it is compelling to draw inspiration from people who are in the industry for music, not money. thier songs show musicians and music lovers alike that real music is possible in this industry and the band shows that success is possible.

16. macrumors 6502

I can see where you are coming from with the idea that APC doesnt get the fame that Nirvana did when it was in its heyday, but does that mean that rock is 'dead'? Just people its not mainstream does not mean it is dead. surely rock will have a following that appreciates its essence. taking the broadest term of rock one could conclude that it is anything but dead. just listen to bands like APC and Postal Service, Jerry Cantrell, Dntel, Radiohead. All of these people are proof that rock is not dead.

i think where this argument eats itself is where you describe the difference between alive and dead. if by "dead" you mean it is not mainstream, then sure, its dead and maybe for the better. if by "alive" you mean its done for the music and not fore the money then its as alive as ever (save linkin park and limpbiskit which should be banned by anyone with taste [/opinion]). and if you do in fact mean "alive" by doing it for the music rather than money then pop is as dead as it gets.

the nature of rock is not static. it will change with every generation, but it will always be alive because it is a proven method of transmiting a message. just because we have movies doesnt mean we arent going to read books.

17. macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

as long as aerosmith continues to tour and release new cd's, rock is not dead.

18. macrumors 65816

Rock enjoyed a brief renaissance in the early 90s and then died again.

But creativity comes in spurts. There will be yet more Ages of Rock (not Rock of Ages :D ) in the future. The kids who listen to throwaway pop are never the ones who grow up to be the next great rockers anyway. But the music exchange (Napster, P2P, iTMS, etc.) explosion of the last 7 or so years can only boost more discriminating kids' exposure to great rock from past eras.

My fear is that whenever someone asks if rock is dead and I agree is whether the real question is "Are we old?" ;)

19. macrumors regular

mike3k

Real punk died with The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, and The Clash. Nothing today can be considered real punk.

20. macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I'm gonna sound like an echo and repeat what krossfyter said.

Mars Volta
    queens of the stone age

A perfect circle is ok... but I don't like it that much dunno why...

BTW, A Band called The Rapture is on Tour with Mars Volta.

I went to the concert and they stole the show for a good reason, they kicked ass.

:p

21. macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

Rock Lives!! Kiss, AC/DC, Metallica, Pink Floyd:rolleyes:, The stones, Dire Straits. The Eagles.

When artists were know buy the music they wrote not the clothes they wear, and the boobs they have.

22. macrumors regular

I'm sorry did you say KISS isn't memorable for the insane costumes?

How can you say rock is dead? What defines rock and why don't the current radio bands live up to that definition? Even if you don't like the new bands on the scene, R.E.M., Metallica, Aerosmith, Black Crowes, etc. are still making music.

23. job

job

I'm not. I'm just wondering if rock and music in general has taken a back seat, say, to what <insert current sex kitten here> wore at her latest concert.

I've already stated that rock can taken on numerous forms, depending on what you listen to and what you think 'rock' is.

Right, but if I ask you average 12~15 year old if they listened to the latest from R.E.M., et al. he/she would probably look at me weird. Sure, those bands are still making music, but are they selling as much as they used to?

I guess music does change with time as new bands enter the scene while other fade away.

24. macrumors 68000

Rock is not dead when a great new band like Blink-182 can collaborate with a great band like The Cure, as they did on their latest album.

Check out "All Of This." Robert Smith of The Cure + Blink-182 = Greatness.

Also: buy "Feeling This" by Blink-182, they are number 10 in the iTMS right now, let's send them to the top.

Thanks!
    Seth :D

Edited: Here's the link for "Feeling This":
    http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/...bum?playlistId=3592513&selectedItemId=3592485

25. macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

I'll have to hear it just because of Robert Smith, but one of the nails in rock's coffin says "Blink 182" on it.