Is Safari crap for anyone else who likes to use a lot of tabs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DevilsRejection, Jun 29, 2006.

1. DevilsRejection macrumors regular

Apr 13, 2006
    I'm not talking 5 tabs here, after 20 or so performance of Safari turns from great to crap.

Pretty much after i added enough tabs that the drop down menu appears for the tabs that can't fit on the top it slows to a crawl!

10.4.7, intel iMac 2gb ram
  2. Pistol Pete macrumors 6502a

Pistol Pete

Jan 6, 2005
    So Cal
    haha....why dont you close some haha...or have a different window for each subject...

you can try other browsers and se what has better performance.
  3. pinetec macrumors member

Mar 21, 2006
    Red Sox Nation
    I'm not sure that any browser would run that well with that many tabs open. Like the above poster said, try Firefox or another browser and see if it works better. Personally, I like Safari the best. But I don't usually have more than 3-5 tabs open at any one time.
  4. Yuvi macrumors member

Jun 27, 2006
    I use Safari and often have huge numbers of tabs open across multiple windows (I've gotten up to 300-400 tabs in one window before, and 50-60 across multiple windows is common for me), and the only slowdown I've ever noticed in Safari is from specific sites, independent of the number of tabs. This is on a PowerBook G4, by the way, so it's not like I have a powerful processor.
  5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Mar 23, 2005
    20 tabs and you're complaining? I try to get under 7 tabs at least.
  6. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

Mar 30, 2004
    I call bluff!

I posted about this exact topic the other day. Safari dies and locks up the entire system. There's a memory leak.
  7. DevilsRejection thread starter macrumors regular

Apr 13, 2006
  8. kretzy macrumors 604

Sep 11, 2004
    Canberra, Australia
  9. Yuvi macrumors member

Jun 27, 2006
    <old pics> There's 54 tabs in that second window, and I feel no slowdown. Admittedly, Safari is taking up 300 MB real memory now, but I do have 1.25 GB RAM.
  10. Mord macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    i've never had slowdown and i've had over 20 tabs in one window.

then again, new intel mac and 2GB ram :p
  11. MacMarvin macrumors member

Jun 29, 2006
    I regularly have 20+ tabs open in Safari on my Mini 1.25 1GB Ram and it seems fine. What I do wish is that each tab would be a separate thread so no matter if that thread locks, you don't have to force-quit the entire app and lose all the other tabs.
  12. whooleytoo macrumors 603

Aug 2, 2002
    Cork, Ireland.
    I think it may be dependent on the amount of RAM on your system too.

On my G5 2x2GHz with 512 RAM I find that if I open a lot of tabs (as I have lots of documentation pages open at once), and don't use Safari for a while, it can take up to 30 seconds to bring Safari to the foreground - which I'm guessing is due to Safari being paged in from virtual memory. But I've never seen it with another app.

When it happens, I just quit Safari, reload the same pages again and it's fine (for a while).
  13. michaeldmartin macrumors regular

Jun 29, 2006
    Testicles. That is all.
    Firefox and opera use the least mem (Firefox uses up some because it cashes the prev pages but u can turn it down/off) Safari is leak city. Once it starts leaking it starts crashing alot. Although, firefox wasn't developed in like, 1 year like safari was.
  14. tekmoe macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
    camino rocks. i've been using it on all my macs for the past 6 months.
  15. yellow Moderator emeritus

Oct 21, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Maybe if you are trying to open 20+ tabs all at once?