Is safari leading the way to be innovate?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by chewbaccapits, Apr 14, 2003.

1. chewbaccapits macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

So far, Safari is catching up with the rest...We just got tabbed browsing and auto-filll, two features that should have been implemented in the first place...My question now is....What can Apple do to make this browser truly innovative? Are they holding back until the BETA expires for some real new features?

2. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

What new features are you suggesting? I can't think of any new features I'd want.

3. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

Well, right there is the problem. If we already know what we want, it isn't innovative anymore. Oh well. All i know is that Apple's good at innovating and I'll just have to wait to see how things like browsers get better. Snap back is cool, I use it a lot.

All they need is an idea...

P-Worm

4. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I don't think it's about innovation...

I think it's about being more independant... not depending on Microsoft for their browser to get faster/better

arn

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i think it's a combination... i think their motivation is probably the independence. but they know that to really stand out they'll have to innovate. i think the snapback is definitely a start

i don't expect anything groundbreaking. but i wouldn't be surprised to see some interesting things...

6. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

I'd like to see less random bugs...

like the forum bugs are gone one version, the next THERE BACK!

wtf?

7. chewbaccapits thread starter macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

I totally agree. Look at the thread that announced the safari beta, many bitched and complained that Safari is still not as good as the others. While its not without merit, its still needs bugs fixed and it can always use a speed boost. But,I believe for Safari to be considered a success, it needs features that are innovative and enrich the mac experience. With that written, I would love to see the browser intergrated with iApps and I would love to see what rendezvous can do within the browser.

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Having a browser that uses tabs and autofill is innovative. It must be look at all the other browsers available none of them have both features.

9. alset macrumors 65816

alset

Safari fans will hate me for saying this, but the interface could use a lot of work. It still makes me sick.

Yes, GUI is a place for innovation! What do you think Aqua is?

Dan

10. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

How about the Snapback feature? Or the Google search bar in the browser itself? Everyone seems to have forgotten about that....

irmongoose

11. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

I'd just like to be able to post images properly to my eBay auctions. I know it's not terribly innovative or anything, but it would sure help a lot of folks out.

12. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Google its hardly an innovation, its been in phoenix, snapback is kinda lame, I never use it.

Its not really innovative, its interesting but not innovative. Most of the stuff in safari have been or are in browsers today.

13. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

ever heard of Mozilla? Mozilla on pc with both those features has been available for a while.

14. macmax macrumors regular

i would like a small button that when touched would give me some cash, hehehhehe

15. macmax macrumors regular

i have mozilla on my sisters pc, it doesn't have tabs

16. benixau macrumors 65816

benixau

safari may not be innovative YET.

But as has been mentioned. Apple is trying not to make a browser that is good but that is the best. They are putting in the good parts of everyones browser into an effecient package that is fast and light.
    In my opinion they should have a preference for turning on or off the metal interface.
    For the programmers out there it just means that when teh nib loads it checks the preference and then sets its textured window property based on that.

Overall safari is the best browser out there for the mac. Yes it has its bugs. But its features more than make up for that.
    Also, IE can't render my website properly, safari can. My site is HTML 3 compliant. Not bad for a beta browser compared to a version 5.x competitor eh ....

17. NavyIntel007 macrumors 65816

NavyIntel007

I've got an idea. Instead of the search bar just used with Google, maybe it could use different sites too with some degree of user enhancability. For instance, you pull down the scroll down menu and click Amazon.com and then search for an item there rather than having to go on the site and then search. Plus if the user could add more search engines or different searchable sites it would be really useful.

18. Jaykay macrumors 6502a

Jaykay

Something like a built in sherlock (old one) with lots of plugins rh?

19. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

Being able to use the google bar for any site you want, say even the macrumors.com site.

see thats innovation, although I'm sure something like would be managable with a .plist hack? any takers? But if it can't be done with a .plist hack then its probably in the Safari Code

20. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

That may be so but that's not on a Mac is it? I was specifically comparring Safari to other Mac browsers.

21. chewbaccapits thread starter macrumors 6502a

chewbaccapits

That sounds great!

22. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

What version? Tabs have been since about 0.98 or so...

@$^@#$^$&@%$&(@#&

23. GregA macrumors 65816

tabbed searches?

Sounds good. (I'd like Google Australia instead of Google to start with)

Also how about a group of search engines under a heading? Then when you do a search it opens a tab for each search engine you've chosen.

Just an idea.
    Greg
    (ps. Shouldn't the close button on the tabs be coloured Red?)

24. richie macrumors member

Innovation? I thought, myself, that the Bookmarks management system was that. It took a step back from tradition and invites a new way to manipulate them, or at least, I hadn't seen that concept applied to bookmarks before. It's changed my way of browsing - all my frequently used bookmarks are right there in the bookmarks bar, divided into categories. I'd barely noticed the bookmarks bar on other browsers. I sort my bookmarks so much more quickly now that I can just drag and drop them round in a window that's one click away.. nice stuff :)

25. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

personally, i'd say Safari is about finished in terms of features, now the bugs need to get ironed out for that perfect finished app that will be fabulous :) For instance, clicking "stop" during page loading needs to be instantanous, the cursor needs to stay put when a page finishes loading (will drop out of location or search bar), cookies need some work...

There's just not a great deal of innovation that can be done here. But anything drastic Apple might have up their sleeves will wait until the standard Safari 1.0 is perfected...

pnw