Is selling used PC games in US illegal?

Discussion in 'Games' started by princealfie, Oct 27, 2006.

1. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

I heard from some EB Games worker that selling used PC games in major stores is illegal? They used to do it last year but somehow it turns out otherwise. Very strange.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Why you looking for some used games? I guess there could be a problem with some older titles that didnt require the cd/dvd in the drive.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It's illegal here in Ireland and I think the UK anyway due to the EULA agreement / licence you have to agree to when you first install the game.

4. mdntcallr macrumors 65816

mdntcallr

its not illegal in usa. but i wouldnt recommend buying a used game to play online with a serial #.

those are notorious for people keeping and problems.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

This thread made me realise that I've never seen a 2nd hand PC game in a shop. Countless Xbox, a load of Cube and PS2 but nothing on the PC, and now I know why. I just thought the games were good :D

Another reason why console gaming is better perhaps? That you're not bound by the law to keep the game no matter how crappy it is?

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I don't think it's illegal but too many legal issues come up with large stores doing it, because of piracy (people copying games and returning them), so the large stores avoid it because of possible legal issues.

7. admanimal macrumors 68040

There is definitely no law in the United States that explicitly prevents the sale of used PC games. The problem is that some games may have a license agreement (which you agree to when you install the game) which forbid the resale of the product once it has been installed. So if you were to sell it used, in theory whoever published the game could sue you for breach of contract or something of that nature.

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i think sony if i remember is trying to make it illegal to buy used games(starting with ps3??) from second hand stores or whatnot. seriously sony moves are not too impressive if this is true

9. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

I didn't know that about Ireland. It's not illegal in the UK, 'Game Station' and 'Computer Exchange' do a decent trade in used PC games.

10. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Just PC games? I know they definitely sell used console games.