Is Siri Good Now?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by John55455, Feb 26, 2013.

?

Have you noticed a -significant- improvement in Siri?

1. Yes, significant

21 vote(s)
    20.6%
  2. A small improvement

37 vote(s)
    36.3%
  3. No

44 vote(s)
    43.1%
  1. macrumors member

When I first got my 4S I just played with Siri for the first week. It was nice but the load times were too slow and it would only understand me 70% of the time.

And then the other night I felt like using Siri to set and alarm and I was surprised how good Siri was. Siri instant gave a response (only 3 bars), and then I tried a few other things and Siri understood me every single time.

I think I'm going to have to start using Siri more. Setting a clock with Siri is much easier, and "note this" or "remind me this" is cool too.

Have you guys noticed an improvement in Siri? Or is it just me? Is Apple using our voices to improve Siri?

2. macrumors 65816

BenTrovato

I've been using it daily for over a year. I don't type anymore. If it wasn't for Siri I don't think I would have an iPhone.

3. macrumors 6502a

Cody21

I hardly use it other than checking an occasional ball game or stats for a player.

4. macrumors 65816

shenfrey

It gets things wrong a lot of the time but its definitely good when it works.

5. macrumors regular

it is quite good to use, but i haven't concerned about its improvement.

6. macrumors 68000

pooleman

I think Siri sucks. Slow load times, and inaccurate voice recognition. I tell it to "call Jonna Poole" and it says. "Ok. Calling John Powell". Very frustrating.

7. macrumors 65816

Beeplance

Wait for the day Siri is able to adapt to everyone's voice and it will be fine.

Improve the load times too, Apple.

8. macrumors 68020

macingman

I forgot Siri even existed. The first day or two someone gets a new device they can't stop playing around with Siri, but once the novelty wears of, I would say 80%+ never use it again for any serious task.

I find it hard to believe someone can completely replace use of the keyboard with Siri like some people here claim they have done.

9. macrumors 65816

4S Marketing Ploy! 4S Marketing Ploy!!!

A product still in beta 1.5 years after it launched as the major marketing selling point for the 4S.

Really bad, apple.

10. macrumors newbie

Peter Chao

Siri is an annoying B*tch! Siri is useless! Drinking bubble tea is better than Siri!

11. macrumors 68030

It gets maybe one in twenty things I ask it correct.

Useless. Useless to the point where, if I ask it to play a song, it often tries to ring someone instead.

12. macrumors member

This thread is a great representation of the rule that people go to the Internet to gripe, cuz I've had no problems with Siri. Far more "it sucks" posts than "works fine for me".

Count me in the latter group. Siri is dead-on when I create reminders, query for unit conversions or reply to an occasional text/create an email. Snappy too, no lag on my i5.

13. macrumors 65816

We are glad you have no problems with Siri. But it's not like we are making this stuff up...

Google's voice technology is so far beyond superior to Siri that it's not even in the same star system.

In 2013, it should be better. It just should.

14. macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

It's gotten slightly better. But still is meh.

15. macrumors member

Every now and then I tell her I need to poop to get a laugh but other than that she's useless.

Great concept, poor execution.

Jeff

16. macrumors 6502a

I don't ever use it.

17. Guest

If it was Google Now then yes.

Siri still is in beta, still is slow/unresponsive at times, still can't do that many things, etc.

Apple needs to update it more often.

18. macrumors 65816

who's siri?

19. 7thson, Feb 27, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2013

macrumors 6502

7thson

Siri is good for native features, like reminders, notes, alarms, etc. I won't use it to search the web, too painful. When asked why google now is better at web searches, Sir says, "I'd rather not google now, if you don't mind." It's obviously an area Siri knows it's lacking in.

20. macrumors newbie

Never use it. In fact the only time I activate it is by accident when I hold the home button down for too long :) Happened the other day when I was in the hospital. Somebody shouted out "ask it how long we're going to have to wait" :D

21. macrumors 68020

teknikal90

I was born in Indonesia, went to an American international school, with lots of British teachers...moved to Australia at the age of 10, lived there for 11 years with friends most of whom are south african... and now for the past few years living in Vancouver Canada, with an American girlfriend.

siri has a very hard time with my accent

22. macrumors 68030

I agree! If only we could use Google Voice for texting and making appointments, but as of right now it's only good for searches.

23. macrumors regular

No, Siri still sucks for most things. Same with dictation. I think it's actually become worse over the past 6-8 months.

24. macrumors newbie

At first I did the whole 'novelty' thing asking Siri questions like 'tell me a joke' and that wore off really quick BUT now I use Siri EVERYDAY! She organizes my schedule, sets timers, opens apps, takes notes, finds vids on YouTube, plays my music, sends my wife texts for me, and finds business' phone numbers and then calls them for me! She is very accurate now. I would say around 90% most of the time which is better than most people I talk to. They often mishear or misunderstand me too. I love Siri and use her all the time. Very useful now. Like someone else said here Siri is one of the main reasons I have an iphone. I haven't seen an android app that compares in voice recognition AND integratabiliy. ##

25. macrumors 6502

iPusch

It's usable, but only for play music, set up alarms, ask something related to wolfram alpha etc.

The dictation function is basically crap for more than one sentence... I tho use it sometimes^^ dunno why I still put hope in it haha