Is sleep ok if i jostle my iBook?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by DanTekGeek, Jan 3, 2005.

1. DanTekGeek macrumors 6502

I just got my first mac! (300mhz tangerine clamshell iBook w/ 288mb ram, 80gb external HDD, and printer. all for $150!) Anyway, I allways take my laptop to school. Latley I have been putting it in sleep, so I can open it up quickly to take notes. However, I am worried that the jostling that occors while going from class to class coud damage the HDD. Am i over protective? Or is this a possibility?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

While asleep, the HD is not spinning, so jostling will have minimal effect on it, internal or external.

Of course, hard drives are delicate things, so, while jostling is fine, bumping and dropping aren't.

Or, to put it another way: the drive is far better protected while not spinning (i.e., the Mac is asleep) than while spinning. It isn't invulnerable, but it's pretty safe - look at all the iPod users whose devices keep working even though the drive is often spinning while they're running around with them.

And, BTW, nice deal for $150!

3. DanTekGeek thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah, i still cant belive what i deal i got. Anyway, im a bit over protective of it, so im allways careful not to bump it.

4. Mertzen macrumors 6502

Mertzen

I think those HDs are encased in rubber too .. but as said above .. from the moment the HD has spun down completely there is a big margin of what it can take .. you should be careful but it aint crystal either ..

5. altair macrumors regular

I have a tibook and dropped the poor bastard a few months ago, hard drive was spinning at the time, no damage besides a small crack in the case below my superdrive.

So yeah, these things are pretty tough, i wouldnt worry about minor bumps, or even major bumps, just dont play catch with it :p

Congrats and enjoy :)

6. thecow macrumors 6502

No, they aren't encased in rubber. I took one completely apart when I made a projector out of it. The HD is held in with a metal frame that is screwed to the bottom case. In the TiBooks, the HD is held in place by 4 little rubber mounts. Thats probably what you were thinking of.

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

The hard drives in white ibooks are also rubber mounted for shock resistance.

8. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

I just thought I would post and say, good job for $150. Keep that iBook, they're becoming collection items.

9. raynegus macrumors regular

I dropped my iBook the other day when it was on with the screen open. It slide off the bed and onto the floor. I was relieved to find no damage. They're pretty tough. iTunes was playing a song it it just kept going.