Is something wrong with my iMac G5? Or am I doing something wrong?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shuurajou, Jan 28, 2005.

1. shuurajou macrumors regular

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Go to "apple menu->System Preferences...->Energy Saver->Options", set the processor speed to "highest", and rerun; I'd be interested in the difference. Your CPU is testing way too slow.

3. shuurajou thread starter macrumors regular

Alright, made a new benchmark (thanks for the tip), didn't restart or do anything special to enhance it at all.

http://ladd.dyndns.org/xbench/merge.xhtml?doc2=93926

What do you think now? That seems much better and the system feels much faster.

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Much better! For whatever reason, G5's have enormous performance improvements with that setting - but it will generate more heat/use more power, so your fans may come on more often.

5. shuurajou thread starter macrumors regular

Wow! It feels like my Mac just got turned into a McLaren F1 after living it's life as a Volvo for a few years lol.

The fans don't bother me as my iMac is living next to a wind tunnel of a PC anyway :).

6. bellis1 macrumors 6502

Funny.

I had a score of 113 when I tried it last night. This morning I found I had it also set on automatic. Now it jumped up to 154.53. Sweet. Wish I knew what that meant.

EDIT: Whoooah Nelly. There really is a noticeable difference. She's quite a bit more zippy even when just opening and closing programs. Now I gotta try photoshop and some other things.

7. neoelectronaut macrumors 68020

neoelectronaut

Is this processor setting something new with iMacs? I don't see such a setting in my Energy Saver Panel.