Is Sony DRX820U External Burner Mac compatible?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by corywoolf, Sep 27, 2006.

1. corywoolf macrumors 65816

corywoolf

I was hoping someone might own one or know someone who uses the DRX820U with a Mac. I work at CompUSA and want to use my discount to pick up a external burner, but we hardly have anything. I figured Sony is the most likely to work with the Mac (non of our burners say Mac compatible on the box). Does anyone know? Thanks in advance.

2. Jimmieboy macrumors 6502

Jimmieboy

I don't know. Check out sony's site or have a look on the box. I have a sony DRX-810UL that works fine with my mac. Works wih iMove and is a dual layer burner.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

This database is good for checking compatibility. Alas, nobody's submitted the 820, but it will most likely work without any issues.

4. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Thanks for the link, but of course I read the box and it says Windows only. I have looked all over the web and couldn't find any proof of any success with it on a Mac. I am thinking of just buying a Lacie with LightScribe online and not taking advantage of my employee discount.

5. amattar macrumors newbie

I just bought one and it works fine using Toast v7.1. I'm using a 1.5GHz PowerBook G4, OSX 10.4.8.

6. corywoolf thread starter macrumors 65816

corywoolf

Update: CompUSA finally just started carrying the official Mac supported burner!

7. amd4me macrumors 6502

Arent all external HDD's and burners supported?

8. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

I think thats the sony I have. mine is a silver/clear style case, DL burner, FW and USB, works real nice

9. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

I lie, I have the DRU-800A...

matches my MBP nicely, here's a dodgy phone pic:

Attached Files:

10. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

I just have read a test in the dutch Mac Magazine about the this Sony burner. It works perfect under os X.4, under X.3 or below you'll need Toast. Only downside in the test was that it doesn't handle DVD-RAM well (very slow). Another downside is that is only comes with Windows burn software. In the test they used a PM G4 from 5 years ago with X.4.

11. squirrelonfire macrumors member

it works

i just bought it. When you plug in the USB cable into the mac, nothing will happen, different from the Windows, an annoying window will pop up and blah blah blah.
    However, if you insert a disc into the drive, mac will start reading the drive.
    Toast read the drive just fine. I was able to burn disc too at super fast speed. Sweet