Is spotlight a standalone app in Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by wmmk, Aug 14, 2006.

1. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

as the title says. to any of you who attended wwdc and legitimately have the pre release version of leopard, what is the spotlight icon in the dock? does it just bring up a spotlight window or what?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

That's a tough question. People who legitimately have Leopard aren't allowed to answer that :D

3. wmmk thread starter macrumors 68020

wmmk

darn. well does anyone who has more time to research leopard than me know what that spotlight logo in the dolck in the leopard sneak peek video is?

4. lprd macrumors newbie

It is indeed a difficult question to answer. I have found that many things in leopard only seem new, but are actually shortcuts. For example, exposé now has a button, and it launches exposé (whodathunk?) but it never gets the triangle as a launched program. Similarly (although more difficult to determine), Spaces and time machine also do not actually 'launch'. Spotlight, when opened does not add a program to the dock, but it opens the window that you would get if you did a search in tiger, and clicked "Show All".*

Recent items (I'm assuming, as all dates say Today) are listed by their kind. I hope this helps.

5. Mr. Dee macrumors 6502a

Mr. Dee

You are most likely to get an answer to this question if you post it over at the http://forum.insanelymac.com. There are lots of folks running Leopard there (illigitimately of course).

6. Frisco macrumors 68020

I hope it is not a standalone app. I think it is find where it is now in Tiger.

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

You question is unclear. Are you asking if Spotlight is less integrated with the OS in Leopard than it is in Tiger? From everything that I understand, it will be substantially more better integrated. So that would be a "no."

8. lprd macrumors newbie

"it will be substantially more better integrated." :D

It is still integrated. The icon in the applications only opens the window.

9. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

There are some deficiencies in the Tiger Spotlight interface, other than the weak search syntax. One of the more obvious problems is that either you need to start with the does-almost-nothing menu bar thing that doesn't let you switch to the fuller "show all" interface until some search results appear, or you have to start from the more cumbersome Finder interface. Clearly, a way to jump straight to the "show all" window would be an improvement. It sure would be nice if OS X added a feature like that...

10. lprd macrumors newbie

"Clearly, a way to jump straight to the "show all" window would be an improvement. It sure would be nice if OS X added a feature like that..."

Ask and you shall receive. That's what the button is for! If you double click the Spotlight button in Applications, it opens the "show all" window. !

11. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I love it when a plan comes together.

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You mean option-command-space

That lets you open the full Spotlight window. command-space is for the menu bar one, option-command-space is for the proper Spotlight window.

13. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I mean by using the mouse. The OS X interface has been suffering from a really bad regression in the usability department with too many useful functions being hidden behind a growing list of obscure keyboard shortcuts. Apple finally noticed that they have a problem. This is a Good Thing. Option-Cmd-Ctrl-Shift-F4-delete is only acceptable if you're Richard Stallman.

Opt-space and Opt-Cmd-Space have a second problem, they conflict with the normal input menu assignments so people need to fumble around in the preferences to find something that isn't used. Apple really screwed up on this one and it needed to be fixed.

14. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Wow, never knew that. And Spotlight in the Dock does bring up that window, or so I've heard. ;)

15. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Given the preview, Spot Light is clearly part of the Top Secret camp.

16. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Sweet! I never knew that. Always wanted to know how to do that quickly.