Is Teresa Heinz Kerry a benefit or disability to the Kerry campaign?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Perci Mac, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Perci Mac macrumors member

I've been paying attention to Mrs. Kerry for a while now, and I've been wondering, is her presence in the Kerry campaign a benefit or a disablity? Recently the Kerry campaign came to my area and Teresa Heinz Kerry spoke, but the enthusiasm of the crowd diminished and wasn't regained until another speaker took over. Thoughts?

2. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I think she's a strong character and an independent woman. Not a politico, but nevertheless a good woman for a politico.

I imagine the right has Hillary-like plans for such a witch.

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

which, for a lot of people, is a problem.

4. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'm sure they'll want to see if she floats.

5. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Not sure if the US is ready for such a straight in your face lady ... She would be received well in Europe

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think the question is, is she a benefit or a liability?

Unless, of course, she's planning on breaking someone's legs or something. ;)

7. romerom macrumors newbie

benefit.. she speaks like 6 languages!! she's a natural diplomat

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Tonight was my introduction to Teresa Kerry. I think her speech was best summed up by something the camera caught briefly as it panned through the audience as she was speaking. A guy turned to somebody next to him, pointed at his forehead, and then towards the podium.

She's an asset as far as I'm concerned. A great public speaker? No. A politician? Probably not. But clearly she has ideas and depth of experience, and I like the idea of a first spouse who challenges the president intellectually, if only because she'll be able to say things to him that even his advisors might not.

9. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i didn't see her speech and i'm not sure what that gesture meant. what's your interpretation?

10. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

She's a liability. The Republicans will paint her in shades of Hillary, and the Democrats do not know how to effectively use her gifts in a national campaign. In my personal, non-too-humble opinion, they should take the very traits which people fear in her, (strength, intelligence, will, straight-talk) and treat them as the assets they are. Aggresively promote these things as *good* traits for a first lady to have. No more June Cleaver first ladies, that era is over.

11. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I think her knack for chilling a crowd is not that we find her intimidating, but that she's just a little out of touch with American politics. She's too ponderous and precise. I still can't believe she digressed about Hubble and Cassini in her speech tonight. WTF? Those are great programs, but they don't exactly fire up the party faithful at what is supposed to be the rally of all rallies.

Don't get me wrong. I like her immensely and think she would easily be the most service-oriented, capable, articulate and intelligent First Lady we've ever had, not to mention a terrific ambassador of goodwill to the foreign community.

But she's no campaigner.

12. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Ah, diplomacy. I know I've been waiting for a first lady who can tell the world to "shove it" in six languages. :D

13. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i'm amazed what a big role the wifes of the candidates are playing for the US public...here in election campaigns they are completly ignored and kept out of 'the line of fire' by the candidates and the press (as long as they are not scandalous or the candidate is having a divorce etc...)

and saying "shove it" to a (perhaps annoying) reporter is far from being scandalous..

shouldn't an election be about themes,ideas and most important politics ? ... i know these things are boring and not very entertaining but the US presidental election is about voting the perhaps most import and powerfull statesman of the world ,and not some bad TV show
    are the candidates so similiar that you really have to decide because of their wifes ?

14. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

You're right, of course. I don't think it was always this way, but it's hard to point to exactly when the potential first ladies started to become such a big factor in the campaign. Hillary Clinton clearly raised the bar (i.e. with the "two for one" theme).

15. jayb2000 macrumors 6502a

jayb2000

Hello Dolly

This really goes back as far as Dolly Madison. She was the first First Lady to make it a visible position. Not only by hosting state parties and such, but during the War of 1812, she saved the Gilbert Stuart portrait of George Washington. Since then, a number of First Ladies have been very visible, Eleanor Roosevelt, Betty Ford, Nancy Reagan, etc. Certainly the 20th century, with the accompanying rise of feminism, gave rise to a more visible role to the First Lady.

I think THK will be an asset with anyone who thinks its ok for women to be smart and independent. I think she will be a liability with anyone who thinks women should stay in the background and be quiet.

I think American's in general are predominately in the former category and thus will be an asset, even if she is not a great public speaker.

16. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I think she is very much a benefit. She is an inspiring figure with her own personal history. With her intelligence and drive, she can win new voters that would sit out this race. For those who are unwilling to vote for Kerry, few are doing so because of his wife's outspoken ideas. She is a plus for the base and for widening the base of the Democratic party. Who else in this race can speak to young women the way Heinz Kerry can? Laura Bush? Lynn Cheney? In fact, the combination of Heinz Kerry and Elizabeth Edwards is a wonderful one for the Democrats. They are both assets to this race.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I took it to mean, "she's a thinker."

18. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Didn't watch the convention, but saw her briefly on the news. She reminds me of Hillary, came across very prickly IMO, only sounds like Arianna Huffington, like the rich and privileged, not a "regular person". Of course, I'll admit I'm biased...

Predictably, Dems will like her and Reps won't.

19. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I am a Republican and I like her (as much as I can "like" someone I've never met in person and only know through ten-second sound bites).

I don't know that I'd say she's "prickly", of course that's a little subjective. It does seem that she's got a little bit of a short fuse, but she's obviously under a lot of pressure; despite her support for her husband's campaign, she may not crazy about being forced into the political spotlight herself.

She won a lot of points with me when I read an interview with her in USA Today, probably a month or so ago now. If I recall correctly, the interviewer tried to play up the differences between herself and Laura Bush, and generate some kind of artificial rivalry between them. Mrs. Kerry's response was something to the effect of, "What do you want to attack Mrs. Bush for? She seems like a nice lady -- back off."

20. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Back off? OK, prickly's too subjective, how about "stand-offish"?

21. The Muffin Man macrumors regular

I always appreciate strong women, especially in politics, because women have been shut out for a long time until about the 80s. Her international heritage could easily help bring more world views to the American political stage. As someone else said, her sexlingualism can only benefit because she can speak to many audiences about issues, and she can help campaign to those same audiences if need be.

22. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Besides.. at all the fund raisers.. FREE KETCHUP!

EDIT: And barbecue sauce! Mmmm!

23. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

To set the record straight, I went back and found the interview article I was thinking about here. The bit I was vaguely remembering appears in the "On the Record" sidebar that appears on the left-hand side of the web page:
    So, she didn't use the words "back off" -- that is just the sentiment I took away from it.

24. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Why do I have visions of this quote being front page news on drudge and newsmaxx? :eek:

25. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Perhaps she is a Disability bennefit? What does the ADA or OHSA say about Opinionated wives and Candidacy? Does this mean that Kerry's campaign platform must be equipped with a 15% Rant Ramp? :eek: :D ;)